- Supports for Remote Teaching and Learning
- Missouri Learning Standards
- MAP Grade-Level Assessment
- End-of-Course Assessment
- 2020 Summer PLS Resources Hub
- DRAFT ELA K-2 PLDs
- 2020-21 ELA Virtual Content Meeting Information – please use the Curriculum Calendar on the DESE Curriculum page to register
- For information on previous ELA Content Meetings
- ELA Priority Standards
- Resources for ELA Priority Standards
Hello ELA Friends,
Welcome spring 2021! What a beautiful time of year!
I want to update you on what has been happening as well as what is upcoming in the ELA world.
- High-Quality Professional Learning Opportunities – Sign up on the curriculum calendar on the DESE curriculum web page for professional learning opportunities - https://dese.mo.gov/college-career-readiness/curriculum
- 2021 Summer Professional Learning Series -
- July 29, 2021 – During this one-day workshop, engage in the process of developing meaningful, integrated (ELA, Science, Social Studies, ELD) lessons focusing on essential concepts and skills. Also, hear from DESE content directors about upcoming developments and engage in discussions with educators across the state. Plan to attend as a team or individual.
- 2021-22 ELA Content Meetings –
- These free, monthly professional learning workshops are aligned to the Missouri Learning Standards and the newly released priority standards. Educators will participate in content specific learning opportunities intended to boost student achievement. Missouri Reading Initiative and Missouri Writing Projects Network will once again lead our lessons in literacy, which will begin in August 2021 and run through April 2022.
- Final ELA Priority Standards -
- Available - With the help of many educators across MO, the final ELA priority standards are available on the priority standards webpage - https://dese.mo.gov/college-career-readiness/curriculum/academic-standa…
- Office Hours - Whether you are unraveling the MLS Priority Standards, reviewing your curriculum, re-thinking your local assessments, writing some new units, or pining for new resources, as you think through these school-related tasks in the coming months, questions will arise. We want to explore your specific questions with you during Office Hours. On selected Thursdays in May, June, and July, ELA will be available on-line to talk with you about your specific questions. These sessions will not be formal DESE presentations, but rather informal opportunities for you, your peers and your DESE content director to address your question. The goal of the Office Hours opportunity is to think together through your question and its resolution, so you can move forward with your specific project, idea or task. Bring your questions, ideas, struggles or brainstorms and let us think through them together. Sign up through the calendar on the DESE Curriculum webpage. Pre-registration is not required and you may enter and leave the session as you choose. Curriculum calendar link - https://dese.mo.gov/college-career-readiness/curriculum
- Resources Coming Soon – Missouri educators are currently working on resources aligned to the priority standards. Check back for more information.
- Want ELA news/updates? Sign up for Edmodo ELA Friends for the latest updates by sending me an email request to join the communication group – Edmodo ELA Friends. You may also receive notifications through email by signing up for the Curriculum Listserv - https://lists.mo.gov/mailman/listinfo/curriclistserv
- ELA MO LEAP Blocks Available NOW! – These grade 3-8 and English I/II Blocks cover content such as The Louisiana Purchase, Food Science, Forest Conservation, Information Literacy, The Dust Bowl, Industrial Revolution, Wheels, Post-High School Options, Physical Fitness, Young Entrepreneurs, just to name a few. The content contained in MO LEAP Blocks focus on problem solving and application of skills, not on memorization of facts. The Blocks are designed to be used flexibly by teachers (in whole or in parts) and woven into curricula as needed. Linked to the MLS and the PLDs, the blocks include scoring guides for open-ended items and stimulus sets with associated questions. Each content area will have a number of Blocks available and districts can choose which ones they wish to download and use. https://sites.google.com/view/moleap/home/english-language-arts
- Work Opportunities for ELA -
Many times throughout the year, DESE will ask educators to participate in item writing workshops and content/bias/sensitivity reviews. We choose educators from all nine regions, size of district as well as educator experience. If you have not participated in any of these work opportunities, send me an email to add your name to the work pool. The next work opportunity will be a CBR in October 2021.
Thank you for all that you do,
Director of English Language Arts