Library Media Centers
Greetings, library friends!
Each and every day, Missouri’s school librarians are doing great things with limited resources to support the students and teachers in their districts. You are truly appreciated.
I recently had the pleasure of visiting the Maries Co. R-II elementary and high school libraries in Belle (see photos below). Librarians Bonnie Elrod and Kassi Maurer graciously invited me to tour their libraries, meet some of their students and staff, and learn more about their programs. Their positive, can-do, problem-solver approach to their work was truly inspiring.
School librarians are planners, problem solvers and team players. School librarians are smart, kind and caring. Thank you for reaching out and supporting students, families and teachers during this spring’s school closures.
Assistant Director of English Language Arts
Library Media Centers - Communications
We will be using your Core Data - Screen 3 Library Media contact email for all Library Media Center communication. Please ensure this information is accurate.
Library Media Center Resources
These resources contain material that is relevant to the work of Missouri’s library media specialists.
|Librarian Standards||Delineation of performance expectations for professional 21st century school librarians in Missouri.|
|Librarian Standards Continuum||Detailed descriptors for the Missouri Standards for School Librarians at the levels of Candidate, New, Developing, Proficient, and Distinguished.|
|ESSA and School Libraries||Overview of AASL’s work with ESSA.|
|Libraries Transform: Year One Report||Report covers notable accomplishments of ALA’s Libraries Transform project from October 2015-August 2016, including MASL’s billboard campaign.|
|ELA Expectations Relevant to Library Media Specialists||Guide to specific expectations in the newly adopted ELA Missouri Learning Standards that pertain to finding literacy-building resources for teachers, conducting research, and integrating technology.|
|MLS Expectations ELA:||ELA expectations adopted by the Missouri State Board of Education in April 2016; state testing over these new expectations begins during the 2017-18 school year.|
|Crosswalks ELA: K-5 | 6-12||Alignments between the new ELA MLS Expectations and the standards that were used through the 2016-17 school year.|
|Vertical Progressions ELA 6-12||Chart of each new ELA MLS expectation by grade level.|
|MLS Expectations Terminology ELA 6-12||Explanations and examples for selected terms in the ELA 6-12 MLS Expectations. The PDF version of the ELA 6-12 MLS Expectations contains hyperlinks from the terms to this document.|
|Text Complexity Rubric-Literary||Tools to assist educators in determining qualitative and quantitative complexity of literary and informational texts.|
|Text Complexity Rubric-Informational|
|Text Analysis Form|
Professional Development, Conferences, and Competitions
|Missouri Association of School Librarians||Spring Conference in Osage Beach, Missouri, rescheduled for August 9-11, 2020|
|International Literacy Association||Conference in Columbus, Ohio, October 15-18, 2020|
|International Society for Technology in Education||Conference in Anaheim, California, rescheduled for November 28-December 1, 2020|
|Unbound Book Festival||The 2020 event has been cancelled; the festival committee is working on plans for next year’s event in Columbia, Missouri, scheduled for April 22-25, 2021|
Library Media Center Archives
These resources appeared on the DESE Library Media Center page prior to the page update in December 2016.
- Library Expenditures (Materials and Supplies) Total and Per Pupil 2007
- Library Expenditures (Materials and Supplies) Total and Per Pupil 2008
- Ratio of LMS to Student Enrollment
- Standards and Indicators (2008)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement Statistical Report (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement PowerPoint (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement Additional Study PowerPoint (2004)
- Library Funding by Districts 2007-2008
- Library Funding by Districts 2008-2009
- Library Funding by Districts 2009-2010
- Library Funding by Districts 2010-2011
- Library Funding by Districts 2011-2012
- Core Data Screen 7 Information (2012)
- Survey of Library Media Center Services (2011)
DESE Program Recognition
- Recognition Scoring Guide
- Coming soon: Examples of documentation for the recognition application.