Library Media Centers
Hello, school librarians and friends of school libraries. Thanks to all of you for the incredible work you are doing during the 2020-21 school year to support students, teachers and staff with their learning and technology needs. The work you do is crucial to ensure gains in literacy and learning for all students.
The application for the DESE Recognition of Exemplary School Library Programs is available upon request. Nearly 30 schools are already participating in this rigorous program, and other schools that wish to become involved still have time to do so. Librarians interested in participating should send a request to Library@dese.mo.gov that includes the name of their school, the name of their district, grades served by their library and their work email address. Completed applications are due March 5, 2021. The scoring guide and a resource document are available at the bottom of the DESE library recognition page.
As always, my door (virtual these days, of course) is always open to answer questions or just talk library. Best wishes for the school year!
Assistant Director of English Language Arts
Library Media Centers - Communications
We will be using your Core Data - Screen 3 Library Media contact email for all Library Media Center communication. Please ensure this information is accurate.
Library Media Center Resources
These resources contain material that is relevant to the work of Missouri’s library media specialists.
|Librarian Standards||Delineation of performance expectations for professional 21st century school librarians in Missouri.|
|Librarian Standards Continuum||Detailed descriptors for the Missouri Standards for School Librarians at the levels of Candidate, New, Developing, Proficient, and Distinguished.|
|ESSA and School Libraries||Overview of AASL’s work with ESSA.|
|Libraries Transform: Year One Report||Report covers notable accomplishments of ALA’s Libraries Transform project from October 2015-August 2016, including MASL’s billboard campaign.|
|ELA Expectations Relevant to Library Media Specialists||Guide to specific expectations in the newly adopted ELA Missouri Learning Standards that pertain to finding literacy-building resources for teachers, conducting research, and integrating technology.|
|MLS Expectations ELA:||ELA expectations adopted by the Missouri State Board of Education in April 2016; state testing over these new expectations begins during the 2017-18 school year.|
|Vertical Progressions ELA 6-12||Chart of each new ELA MLS expectation by grade level.|
|MLS Expectations Terminology ELA 6-12||Explanations and examples for selected terms in the ELA 6-12 MLS Expectations. The PDF version of the ELA 6-12 MLS Expectations contains hyperlinks from the terms to this document.|
|Text Complexity Rubric-Literary||Tools to assist educators in determining qualitative and quantitative complexity of literary and informational texts.|
|Text Complexity Rubric-Informational|
|Text Analysis Form|
Professional Development, Conferences, and Competitions
|Missouri Association of School Librarians||Spring Conference in Osage Beach, Missouri, rescheduled for August 9-11, 2020|
|International Literacy Association||October 2020 conference in Columbus, Ohio, has been cancelled.|
|International Society for Technology in Education||Conference in Anaheim, California, rescheduled for November 28-December 1, 2020|
|Unbound Book Festival||The 2020 event has been cancelled; the festival committee is working on plans for next year’s event in Columbia, Missouri, scheduled for April 22-25, 2021|
Library Media Center Archives
These resources appeared on the DESE Library Media Center page prior to the page update in December 2016.
- Library Expenditures (Materials and Supplies) Total and Per Pupil 2007
- Library Expenditures (Materials and Supplies) Total and Per Pupil 2008
- Ratio of LMS to Student Enrollment
- Standards and Indicators (2008)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement Statistical Report (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement PowerPoint (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement Additional Study PowerPoint (2004)
- Library Funding by Districts 2007-2008
- Library Funding by Districts 2008-2009
- Library Funding by Districts 2009-2010
- Library Funding by Districts 2010-2011
- Library Funding by Districts 2011-2012
- Core Data Screen 7 Information (2012)
- Survey of Library Media Center Services (2011)