Library Media Centers
Greetings, library friends! Another school year is on the horizon, and we have some exciting things going on at DESE pertaining to school library programs. Here are the highlights:
- A committee of school librarians from throughout Missouri met several times during the 2018-19 school year to begin implementation of Senate Bill 743’s requirement that DESE recognize exemplary library programs. The first year of this recognition (participation in this evaluation and recognition is optional) will be during the 2020-21 school year.
- The scoring guide developed through a partnership between the school librarian SB 743 implementation committee and DESE has been released. You can find it by going to the “DESE Program Recognition” tab below.
- Ten of Missouri’s Regional Professional Development Centers are hosting PD sessions in October to familiarize school librarians with the recognition scoring guide. These workshops will give school librarians an opportunity to self-evaluate their programs and plan for improvement, whether they wish to apply for recognition during the following school year or use the information to provide better instruction and support in their schools. You can find the schedule and registration contact information by going to the “DESE Program Recognition” tab below.
Best wishes for the coming school year! Please feel free to contact us: ELA Director Debbie Jameson (30 years of elementary experience as a classroom teacher and Reading Recovery teacher) and ELA Assistant Director Lisa Scroggs (31 years of secondary experience as an English/journalism teacher and library media specialist). We want to hear your thoughts and ideas so that we can better serve you
Library Media Centers - Communications
We will be using your Core Data - Screen 3 Library Media contact email for all Library Media Center communication. Please ensure this information is accurate.
Library Media Center Resources
These resources contain material that is relevant to the work of Missouri’s library media specialists.
|Librarian Standards||Delineation of performance expectations for professional 21st century school librarians in Missouri.|
|Librarian Standards Continuum||Detailed descriptors for the Missouri Standards for School Librarians at the levels of Candidate, New, Developing, Proficient, and Distinguished.|
|ESSA and School Libraries||Overview of AASL’s work with ESSA.|
|Libraries Transform: Year One Report||Report covers notable accomplishments of ALA’s Libraries Transform project from October 2015-August 2016, including MASL’s billboard campaign.|
|ELA Expectations Relevant to Library Media Specialists||Guide to specific expectations in the newly adopted ELA Missouri Learning Standards that pertain to finding literacy-building resources for teachers, conducting research, and integrating technology.|
|MLS Expectations ELA:||ELA expectations adopted by the Missouri State Board of Education in April 2016; state testing over these new expectations begins during the 2017-18 school year.|
|Crosswalks ELA: K-5 | 6-12||Alignments between the new ELA MLS Expectations and the standards that were used through the 2016-17 school year.|
|Vertical Progressions ELA 6-12||Chart of each new ELA MLS expectation by grade level.|
|MLS Expectations Terminology ELA 6-12||Explanations and examples for selected terms in the ELA 6-12 MLS Expectations. The PDF version of the ELA 6-12 MLS Expectations contains hyperlinks from the terms to this document.|
|Text Complexity Rubric-Literary||Tools to assist educators in determining qualitative and quantitative complexity of literary and informational texts.|
|Text Complexity Rubric-Informational|
|Text Analysis Form|
Professional Development, Conferences, and Competitions
|DESE Recognition of Exemplary Library Programs Workshops at RPDCs||Throughout October, 2019; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information|
|Missouri Association of School Librarians||Fall PD Day in Raytown, Missouri, October 5, 2019|
|International Literacy Association||Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana, October 10-13, 2019|
|American Association of School Librarians||National Conference in Louisville, Kentucky, November 14-16, 2019|
|Midwest Education Technology Community||Conference in St. Charles, Missouri, February 10-12, 2020|
|Missouri Association of School Librarians||Spring Conference in Osage Beach, Missouri, April 19-21, 2020|
|International Society for Technology in Education||Conference in Anaheim, California, June 28-July 1, 2020|
Library Media Center Archives
These resources appeared on the DESE Library Media Center page prior to the page update in December 2016.
- Library Expenditures (Materials and Supplies) Total and Per Pupil 2007
- Library Expenditures (Materials and Supplies) Total and Per Pupil 2008
- Ratio of LMS to Student Enrollment
- Standards and Indicators (2008)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement Statistical Report (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement PowerPoint (2002-2003)
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement Additional Study PowerPoint (2004)
- Library Funding by Districts 2007-2008
- Library Funding by Districts 2008-2009
- Library Funding by Districts 2009-2010
- Library Funding by Districts 2010-2011
- Library Funding by Districts 2011-2012
- Core Data Screen 7 Information (2012)
- Survey of Library Media Center Services (2011)