High School Equivalency (HSE)
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education selected a new high school equivalency test that replaced the GED starting January 2014. Missouri's current high school equivalency test was developed by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and is called the HiSET®. Test takers can visit HiSET website to schedule high school equivalency (HSE) testing.
On July 1, 2019, The Missouri Legislature began funding first-time test-takers of the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), meaning that the first time you take a subject, the test is free if you schedule through the HiSET Customer Service phone line at 1-855-694-4738. If you think you are eligible, call to schedule your test(s). From July 1, 2019 to January 31, 2020 the free tests were only available to “public” test-takers. Starting February 1, 2020 funding is available to all test-takers (including institutional and Option test-takers) on a first-come-first-served basis. Any additional fees incurred are paid by the test-taker.
If you are eligible for this funding and have paid for your testing out-of-pocket, you may be eligible for a refund and can find out by calling the HiSET Customer Service phone line at 1-855-694-4738. “Public” test-takers (non-institutional and non-Option) are eligible for a refund if they have paid for testing on or after July 1, 2019. Institutional and Option test-takers are eligible if they have paid for testing on or after February 1, 2020.
The HiSET® exam consists of five subtests (content areas): Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading, and Writing. The cost for each subtest is $17.75 ($10.75 to purchase the subtest and $7 to cover the cost of administering the subtest at a testing center). Beginning with the purchase of your first subtest, there is also a $10 state registration fee payable once every 12 months. You can purchase any number of different subtests at the same time. You will receive two retests for each subtest you purchase. If you need to retake a subtest, you pay only the $7 test center fee.
The total cost for all five tests will be $98.75.
- Fee per Subtest (five subtests x $10.75) = $53.75
- Testing Center Fee (five subtests x $7) = $35.00
- Annual State Administration Fee = $10.00
Please note: test-takers have two additional retakes available; each subtest has a 12-month testing window, which automatically begins at the time of purchase of that subtest. Test-takers using the available retakes pay the testing center fee ($7 per subtest). Test-takers can take subtests up to three times in a calendar year.
- Residency and Minimum Age Eligibility Requirements for HSE
- Identification (ID) Requirements for HSE
- List of testing centers in Missouri
- Policies for testing centers in Missouri
- More information about obtaining a high school equivalency certificate
Questions & Answers
- HiSET® Q & A
- HiSET® Missouri Requirements/Q & A
- HiSET® Test Content
- HiSET® Score/Results (You will receive your certificate by mail if you qualify)
- Scored at least 8 out of 20 on each subtest
- Scored at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieved a total scaled score on all five HiSET subtests of at least 45 out of 100
- HSE Transcript Q & A
(January 1, 2014 was the deadline for passing the GED®. If the GED® was not passed, scores from the current test did not transfer to the new one. The new test has been in use since January 2, 2014.)