Welcome to dese.mo.gov. We hope you enjoy the site, and we welcome your feedback.

You are here

How do I become a paraprofessional and do I need to be certified?

Paraprofessionals are identified as those who possess, at a minimum, 60 college hours or have passed the Paraprofessional or ParaPro Assessment (MEGA) and who work under the direct supervision of an appropriately certified teacher to provide instructional assistance. The Paraprofessional Assessment is for individuals seeking to be employed as teaching assistants residing in Title I schools.

Paraprofessionals do not need to be certified and do not need to contact Educator Certification.  However, some districts require paraprofessionals to have their substitute certification. Learn about how to get your substitute certification here: https://dese.mo.gov/educator-quality/certification/substitute-teachers

Note: Paraprofessionals cannot have a caseload.

For more information about paraprofessionals, please see the Consolidated Federal Programs Administrative Manual