The Division of Learning Services is committed to supporting educators in implementing effective, evidence-based practices in Missouri’s public schools with the goal of improved student learning for every student in every school. The Continuous Improvement System and its Theory of Action underscore the primary goal of DESE’s Show-Me Success plan: All Missouri students will graduate ready for success.
Leadership Strong leaders set the vision and influence direction at every level of the organization to create and support a culture of teaching and learning for continuous improvement.
Collaborative Climate and Culture Shared values and common goals are the foundation of a collaborative climate and culture of systemic growth and improvement within an educational system.
Effective Teaching and Leading Effective academic, behavioral and social skill practices, supported by research and meeting the needs of each student, lead to the highest levels of student learning.
Data-Based Decision Making Accurate, relevant measures across multiple points in time provide the basis for informing on progress, setting goals and guiding decisions leading to improved student learning.
Alignment of Standards, Curriculum and Assessment Connection, clarity and coherence must exist between standards, curriculum and assessments in order to provide accurate and actionable information regarding student learning.
The division offices include:
- Quality Schools - Chris Neale, assistant commissioner, 573-751-4234
- College and Career Readiness - Blaine Henningsen, assistant commissioner, 573-751-2660
- Special Education - Stephen Barr, assistant commissioner, 573-751-5739
- Educator Quality - Paul Katnik, assistant commissioner, 573-751-2931
- Adult Learning and Rehabilitative Services - Tim Gaines, assistant commissioner, 573-751-7034
- Data System Management - Jeff Falter, chief data officer, 573-522-3207
Dr. Stacey Preis, Deputy Commissioner
Robin Barbour, Executive Assistant
Division of Learning Services
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
P.O. Box 480
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480
6th Floor, Jefferson Building
205 Jefferson Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101