Title III- EL Resources
The Title III- EL plan and budget are part of the ESEA Consolidated Budget Application which is due annually by July 1.
- Local Education Agency Allowable Use of Funds or Activities
- Dear Colleague Letter: English Learner Students and Limited English Proficient Parents (1/7/15)
- Schools' Civil Rights Obligations to English Learner Students and Limited English Proficient Parents
"There is no equality of treatment merely by providing students with the same facilities, textbooks, teachers, and curriculum; for students who do not understand English are effectively foreclosed from any meaningful education." - Lau v. Nichols (1974)
What is a Lau Plan?
A Lau plan is an equal access plan that protects ELs. The plan describes what a school district will do:
- to identify its ELs
- to design an effective program reflective of their needs
- to employ appropriate English-as-a-second-language or bilingual personnel (or both),
- to align the instruction of ELs to state and local content standards
- to provide ongoing authentic assessments to ascertain their growth in English language proficiency and in the comprehension of academic content.
A Lau plan is a "working document" that should be revisited frequently.
Essential components of a Lau plan include the legal foundation, student assessments, an instructional plan, parental involvement, qualified personnel, a coordination plan, a budget, adjunct services, and other possible considerations.
- *Reporting 10 or fewer students not included in this list
|School Year||EL Enrollment||School Year||EL Enrollment|
|2013-2014||*27,151||1996-1997||6,748 (234 NP)|
|2012-2013||26,299||1995-1996||6,053 (393 NP)|
|2011-2012||24,779||1994-1995||5,445 (332 NP)|
|2010-2011||21,209||1993-1994||4,765 (383 NP)|
|2009-2010||20,266||1992-1993||4,368 (567 NP)|
|2008-2009||19,083||1991-1992||4,350 (512 NP)|
|2007-2008||19,095||1990-1991||3,815 (588 NP)|
|2006-2007||19,970||1989-1990||3,349 (505 NP)|
|2005-2006||18,605||1988-1989||2,779 (229 NP)|
|2004-2005||19,092||1987-1988||2,787 (409 NP)|
|2002-2003||14,855||1985-1986||3,156 (380 NP)|