Purpose of the Advisory Council
The Advisory Council on the Education of Gifted and Talented Children was established by the Missouri legislature in 2013 to provide advice to the Commissioner of Education regarding all rules and policies to be adopted by the State Board of Education relating to the education of gifted and talented children. The legislation governing the Council is Chapter 161 of the Missouri Revised Statutes, Section 161.249.
The Advisory Council on the Education of Gifted and Talented Children has scheduled meeting dates for the 2022-2023 school year. (Meeting dates are subject to change.) The meetings will be held virtually; a link to the meeting will be included in the agenda.
- Tuesday, September 6, 2022 from 3:30 - 5:00pm (Hybrid Meeting) - Agenda
- Saturday, October 15, 2022 - Panel Discussion at the GAM Fall Conference - Attendance Information
- Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at the State Board of Education Meeting in Jefferson City - Agenda - Materials
- Tuesday, November 15, 2022 from 3:30 - 5:00pm (Virtual Meeting) - Agenda
- Wednesday, January 18, 2023 from 3:30 - 5:00pm (Hybrid Meeting)
- Monday, March 6, 2023 from 3:30 - 5:00pm (Hybrid Meeting)
Meetings are open to the public and guests may make comments during the Public Comment section of the agenda. Agendas will be posted here at least 24 hours before each meeting. Please check back for agendas. Meeting notices will also be announced via the Gifted-Ed listserv.
- Council Members and Applications for the Council
The council consists of seven members, who serve four-year terms, and two alternate members, who serve one year terms. Members may request to be re-appointed.
Applications now being Accepted
Applications for appointment to the Advisory Council on the Education of Gifted and Talented Children are now being accepted. The application can be found in the Quick Links' section of this web page. Candidates must be residents of Missouri and have an interest in and experience with gifted and talented children. All appointments are for four-year terms. The deadline for applications is May 31. All applications, including those for reappointment, will be given to the Commissioner in June. The Commissioner of Education makes appointments in August for terms that begin in September.
For more information, contact Christine Nobbe.
Phone: (573) 751-7754
- Agendas and Minutes
DATE AGENDA MINUTES November 15, 2022 October 15, 2022 The Council at GAM September 6, 2022 August 17, 2022 July 20, 2022 April 27, 2022 February 17, 2022 December 6, 2021 October 2, 2021 The Council at GAM September 9, 2021 August 11, 2021 July 27, 2021 June 30, 2021 May 5, 2021 April 7, 2021 February 3, 2021 November 18, 2020 October 22, 2020 July 16, 2020 June 4, 2020 April 22, 2020 April 10, 2020 February 26 ,2020 December 3, 2019 October 12, 2019 September 24, 2019 August 22, 2019 April 3, 2019 December 13, 2018 October 20, 2018 August 2, 2018 April 18, 2018 February 20, 2018 December 5, 2017 September 29, 2017 July 24, 2017 May 16, 2017 March 1, 2017 December 9, 2016 October 16, 2016 July 18, 2016 May 17, 2016 March 1, 2016 January 15, 2016 December 10, 2015 October 25, 2015 July 20, 2015 May 19, 2015 March 4, 2015 February 24, 2015 January 13, 2015 December 2, 2014 October 16, 2014 August 4, 2014 May 29, 2014 March 31, 2014 January 13, 2014
- Reports to the State Board of Education
Gifted Advisory Council 2021 Report
The Advisory Council on the Education of Gifted and Talented Children completed its 2021 Report and presented information to the State Board of Education at the October 22 meeting. The focus of the report is threefold:
- Updating state data and national perceptions about gifted students and programs;
- Reviewing progress on recommendations from the Council's previous reports; and
- Updating the new accomplishments/initiatives of the Council on behalf of Missouri's gifted students, their parents, and the teachers who serve them.
Please feel free to download the 2021 Annual Report and share this information with other individuals and groups interested in gifted education in Missouri.
- Third Report to the State Board of Education 2019
- Fourth Report to the State Board of Education 2021
- PowerPoint Presented to the State Board of Education 2021
- PowerPoint Presented to the State Board of Education October 22, 2019
- Second Report to the State Board of Education 2017
- PowerPoint Presented to the State Board of Education May 16, 2017
- First Report to the State Board of Education 2015
- PowerPoint Presented to the State Board of Education May 19, 2015
- Advisory Council Annual Report PowerPoint Presentation 2015
- Advisory Council Recommendations 2015
- Council Recommendations
The Advisory Council on the Education of Gifted and Talented Children studies gifted education issues and writes guidance on how gifted education programs can solve problems and make decisions.
- Operating Procedures
The Advisory Council on the Education of Gifted and Talented Children was established by the Missouri legislature in 2013 to provide advice to the Commissioner of Education regarding all rules and policies to be adopted by the State Board of Education relating to the education of gifted and talented children. The legislation governing the Council is Chapter 161 of the Missouri Revised Statutes, Section 161.249. The Council’s operating procedures are outlined here.
- Collective Commitments - July 24, 2017
- Key Dates & Recommended Deadlines - July 24, 2017
- Operating Procedures - October 22, 2020
- Purpose of Council and Basic Roles - October 22, 2020
- Specific Actions Within Focus Areas - July 24, 2017
- Recommended Process for Selection of Council Members - May 16, 2017
- Council GAMbit Article Guidelines and Sample Article by Dr. Beth Winton - September 1, 2014
- Public Sign-In Form - May 29, 2014
- Sample Actions - May 29, 2014
- Sunshine Law and Document Billing Sheet - March 31, 2014
- Related Council Materials
Gifted Education in the United States. This report seeks to refine what is known about underrepresentation in gifted education by conducting more detailed analyses than have previously been done. The report includes a Missouri report card. https://www.education.purdue.edu/geri/new-publications/gifted-education-in-the-united-states/
The 2018-2019 State of the States in Gifted Education report represents a snapshot of gifted education across the nation during the academic year 2018-2019. The National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) and the Council of State Directors of Programs for the Gifted (CSDPG) conducted this survey to explore if and how states provide and support programs for gifted and talented students. https://www.nagc.org/2018-2019-state-states-gifted-education
Resources for Acceleration. The Acceleration Institute provides information on acceleration, including an overview of state policies, research reports, and guidance. https://www.accelerationinstitute.org/ and https://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Resources/Policy/By_State/Default.aspx
- Missouri's Gifted Programs are Struggling in Era of Education Budget Cuts Missourian article June 3, 2015
- Gifted Student? Great, but don't expect as much support from Missouri
St. Louis Post-Dispatch article June 27, 2015
- In Defense of Academic Rigor By R. Sawyer
|Christine Nobbe||Director, Gifted Education||(573)-751-7754|