Missouri Recognizes Eight Gold Star Schools
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has announced eight Missouri Gold Star Schools for 2023. The program, which aligns with the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, recognizes schools for outstanding academic achievement or for performing at high levels while serving a significant proportion of disadvantaged students.
Missouri’s 2023 Gold Star Schools include:
- Betty Wheeler Classical Junior Academy, St. Louis Public Schools
- Chesterfield Elementary School, Rockwood School District
- South High School, Fort Zumwalt School District
- Harry S. Truman Elementary School, Webb City School District
- Mallinckrodt Academy of Gifted Instruction, St. Louis Public Schools
- Mathews Elementary School, Nixa Public Schools
- Pierremont Elementary School, Parkway School District
- Reed Elementary School, Ladue School District
“Congratulations to the students, teachers, and staff members of each of these schools for earning this recognition,” said Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Margie Vandeven. “These schools exemplify academic excellence is possible while striving to meet the needs of every student in their school.”
The Missouri Gold Star Schools program was established in 1991 and uses the same criteria for nomination as the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program. The U.S. Department of Education’s Blue Ribbon Schools will be announced this fall.