Military Family Resources
Military families moving to Missouri have access to a number of educational services whether looking for K-12, higher education or adult education services. The following is a list of resources for military families:
Fort Leonard Wood: U.S. Army Maneuver Support Center (MANSCEN) and Fort Leonard Wood is where all chemical, engineer, military police, transportation Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, Sailors and international students from allied nations receive training.
- Waynesville R-VI School District serves most of the families at Ft. Leonard Wood with about 6,000 students enrolled. There are six elementary schools, one 6th grade school, one middle school, one high school and a career and technical education center.
- The Armed Services YMCA of Missouri has locations in downtown Waynesville, MO, and on Fort Leonard Wood. Their goal is to serve our community by offering support and opportunities that empower our military families to learn, grow and thrive.
Whiteman Air Force Base: Whiteman Air Force Base is home to the 509th Bomb Wing, the 442nd Fighter Wing, the 131st Bomb Wing, the 1-135th Attack Battalion, as well as many other vital units that stand ready to serve the nation.
- The Knob Noster Public School District has four schools that serve about 1,500 students. Whiteman Elementary School, which is part of the Knob Noster R-VIII School District, is on base for children in kindergarten through fourth grade. Knob Noster Elementary School serves children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Knob Noster Middle School serves grades six to eight. Knob Noster High School offers vocational and advanced education credits for students in grades 9 to 12.
- The Warrensburg School District is also a fully accredited school system serving more than 3,000 students. The system includes a high school, one middle school, four elementary schools and the Warrensburg Area Career Center serving both youth and adults.
- The Sedalia School District 200 is a fully accredited school system serving about 4,800 students. The public school system includes five elementary schools, a middle school, a junior high and a high school. There is also a Pettis County Early Childhood Coop for children 6 months to five years.
The Department administers various education program for veterans. For more information, click here.
Teachers Called to Active Duty
School districts should have policies concerning employees who are called to active military duty. The district's board and staff should clearly understand what procedures need to be followed.
State Laws Regarding Military Leave
- Leave of absence without loss of status or benefits for government employees, when, evidence required, procedure, Section 41.942.
- Leave of absence to perform military duties mandatory—discrimination against militia members a misdemeanor, Section 105.270.
- Leave of absence for teacher, including military leave, Section 168.122.
Additional Resources and links for military families:
Missouri Purple Star Schools
The Missouri Purple Star designation is awarded to military-friendly school buildings and/or districts that have demonstrated a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military.
Have another resource to share with military families? Email Communications
If you or a member of your immediate family ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces, click here for more information about military-related services in Missouri.