The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has named this year’s Missouri Gold Star Schools. The program recognizes schools that perform at high academic levels or that perform at high levels while serving a significant proportion of disadvantaged students.
There are eight winning schools:
- Kingston Elementary, Kingston K-14 School District
- Lake Road Elementary, Poplar Bluff R-I School District
- Leeton Elementary, Leeton R-X School District
- Nashua Elementary, North Kansas City 74 School District
- Nike Elementary, Meramec Valley R-III School District
- Richland Elementary, Richland R-I School District
- Willard Central Elementary, Willard R-II School District
- William Bryant Elementary, Blue Springs R-IV School District
“The students, faculty and staff at these eight schools reflect Missouri’s continuing effort to prepare every student for success,” said Interim Commissioner of Education Roger Dorson. “Congratulations to them and their communities for earning this recognition.”
DESE established the Missouri Gold Star Schools program in 1991. The program aligns with the national Blue Ribbon Schools program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education. The Missouri Gold Star Schools program uses the same criteria for nomination as the National Blue Ribbon Schools program. Recipients of the state’s award were nominated for national Blue Ribbon recognition. Blue Ribbon Schools will be announced this fall by the U.S. Department of Education.