Missouri’s eight 2023 Gold Star Schools have also been recognized as U.S. Department of Education (USED) National Blue Ribbon Schools. The National Blue Ribbon Schools program recognizes individual schools for either their outstanding academic achievement (top 15 percent in the state based on English and mathematics assessment scores and graduation rates) or their performance at high academic levels while serving a significant proportion of disadvantaged students.
Missouri’s 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools include:
- Betty Wheeler Classical Junior Academy, St. Louis Public Schools
- Chesterfield Elementary School, Rockwood School District
- South High School, Fort Zumwalt School District
- Harry S. Truman Elementary School, Webb City School District
- Mallinckrodt Academy of Gifted Instruction, St. Louis Public School
- Mathews Elementary School, Nixa Public Schools
- Pierremont Elementary School, Parkway School District
- Reed Elementary School, Ladue School District
“Congratulations to the students, teachers, and staff members at each of these schools for this extraordinary accomplishment,” said Commissioner of Education Margie Vandeven. “These schools go above and beyond to provide the best education possible for their students. We appreciate their commitment and commend them for a job well done.”
In May, these eight schools were honored as Missouri Gold Star Schools, a program established by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in 1991. They were then nominated for the National Blue Ribbon Schools program, which shares the same nomination criteria as the Gold Star Schools award. To date, more than 9,700 schools across the country have been presented with this coveted U.S. Department of Education award.
The 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools award ceremony will be held November 16 and 17 in Washington, DC. Photographs and brief descriptions of all 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available from USED here.