Welcome to dese.mo.gov. We hope you enjoy the site, and we welcome your feedback.

You are here


What classes can I teach with my certificate?

Appropriate certification for teaching assignments is determined and monitored by the Office of Quality Schools.  You can also consult the department’s Core Data and Missouri Student Information System Reference Manual (see Exhibit 10). 

What is the Application for State Transportation Aid?

The Application for State Transportation Aid reported within the Annual Secretary of the Board Report reflects eligible and ineligible students transported, the number of days the transportation system operated, and eligible and ineligible miles. This information, along with allowable costs, is used to calculate state transportation aid.

How is bus ridership tracked?

School districts providing pupil transportation services pursuant to section 163.161, RSMo, are required to prepare a listing of pupils regularly (minimum of once per week) transported (ADT) on each board of education’s approved routes on the second Wednesday of the month for the months of October and February (5 CSR 30-261.010 (1)(E)1). 

What must school bus contracts include?

Written contracts are required for all contracted bus transportation services.  The contracts should include requirements that the driver(s) and vehicle(s) meet all applicable state statutes and State Board of Education regulations.  This department also suggests that the contract include the reimbursement amount, the insurance required by the school district, and that the contract requires the tracking of ridership and mileage.  The contract must be on file in the school district's office (5 CSR 30-261.010). 

Who must be transported? Who can be transported?

Students living more than three and one-half miles from school must be provided transportation service.  All students can be transported by local board decision (167.231, RSMo).  See Funding for students who are eligible for state transportation aid.

What is the Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) program?

The Missouri Vocational Rehabilitation program assists eligible persons with disabilities in obtaining and maintaining quality employment.

What does it mean to be a person with a disability?

A person with a disability is someone with a physical or mental impairment that creates a barrier to employment and who needs VR services to reach successful employment.

What age do you have to be to receive VR services?

VR generally serves people of working age and has programs in some high schools that help students with disabilities transition from school to work, further education, or training.

Do you have to be a U.S. citizen to be eligible for services?

No, but you are required to have a valid work permit.

How do you know if you are eligible for services?

A VR counselor will work with you to determine if you are eligible for services.

What services may be available for an eligible person to receive?

VR provides a wide range of services. You and your counselor will determine which services are required to help you become employed. Some of the services that may be provided include:

  • an assessment to determine the extent of your disability and what services are required for you to become employed;
  • an evaluation(s) to determine the kind of work that best suits you;
  • guidance in choosing suitable employment;
  • individual counseling during the rehabilitation process;
  • time-limited physical or mental restoration services that can assist you in obtaining employment;
  • assistive devices (such as prostheses, wheelchairs, or hearing aids) that increase your ability to work;
  • vocational training to prepare you for employment, which may include education in a college, university, trade school, community rehabilitation program, or on-the-job training program;
  • job-related tools and licenses for you when you are ready to go to work;
  • help in developing job-seeking skills; and
  • assistance in finding you a job.

Who pays for VR services?

Based on your income and resources, some of the services may be at no cost, partial cost, or all cost to you.

How long will I receive services?

Services will usually continue as long as you are progressing toward your goal in your IPE.  After you become employed, VR will provide follow-up services for at least 90 days.

What is the Client Assistance Program?

Missouri Protection and Advocacy Services operates a Client Assistance Program (CAP) that provides several services, including assistance with legal, administrative, or other measures to protect your rights under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. CAP can also provide information about other agencies and programs in Missouri that offer rehabilitation services to persons with disabilities.

You may contact CAP at:

Missouri Protection and Advocacy Services
925 South Country Club Drive
Jefferson City, MO 65109-0352
Phone: Toll Free (800) 392-8667


Do I have the right to appeal a decision made in my VR case?

You have the right to appeal any time you do not agree with a decision about your case made by your counselor or by anyone else at Missouri Vocational Rehabilitation.

First, tell your counselor you do not agree with what is being done. If the counselor explains the reason for the decision and you still do not agree, you may request to speak with the supervisor of the VR district office that is handling your case. You may, however, request a formal review at any time.

You also have the right to request mediation on the issue or contact CAP to assist you.

To get started with VR services, click on VR services.
For contact information, click on Contact Information.

I am interested in establishing a Career Prep Certificate Program for all of our district’s graduating seniors. Where do I start?

The underlying theme of this program is “process”.  Visit here for more information. Many of the issues that will be faced during implementation may have already been experienced and are addressed in this guide. The first (and most essential) step is to establish an advisory committee to assist in creating a “demand-driven system.”

How were the academic and work readiness components developed?

In the fall of 2006, the statewide advisory committee (Inside Cover) reviewed pertinent research and recent curriculum organizers to identify academic and work readiness components. Different stakeholder groups were surveyed to determine the most important components to the world of work. Based on the survey results, the committee identified 12 academic and work readiness components, which are linked to key curriculum drivers in Missouri schools.  The academic components are cross-referenced with Missouri’s Show-Me Standards and Grade-Level Expectations.  The work readiness components are cross-referenced with Missouri’s Career Development Standards and Grade-Level Expectations within the Missouri Comprehensive Guidance Program.

How do I receive services?

Once you have been determined eligible for services, your VR counselor will obtain as much information as possible about your previous work, education and training, interests, capabilities, rehabilitation needs, and your employment goals. You may work with a rehabilitation facility to gather further information to help determine the best employment for you.

You and your counselor will develop a plan of action known as your Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE). The plan lists your desired employment outcome, the steps and services needed to reach that outcome, and assessment criteria used to determine your progress in reaching that outcome. At all stages throughout your VR program, you will be provided vocational information and guidance allowing you to make informed choices regarding your vocational plan.

How do I determine the most appropriate assessment tools and techniques to use for this program?

Numerous effective assessments are available to determine individual knowledge and skill levels. Several of the most prevalent and promising assessments in Missouri schools were analyzed and aligned to the academic and work readiness components.  The assessment summary was developed with assistance from each of the sponsoring companies and organizations. Each assessment was cross-referenced to the underlying knowledge and performance expectations for each component. A more detailed analysis of assessments is recommended in determining the most appropriate selection for a local or regional program.

While schools have experience in assessing academic components, there are challenges in assessing work readiness components.  There are a number of activities taking place in schools where individual behavior and performance can be documented. 

What does a Career Prep Certificate look like?

It is important that the program make available an easy-to-understand certificate that provides employers with information and documentation of individual accomplishments. The front of the certificate can be formal with general information; seals and signatures. (See sample certificate [pdf]) The back of the certificate can have locally determined participation, results and accomplishments to make it “portable” to   employers who might not be aware of the program.

Why are the guidelines of the Career Prep Certificate determined locally?

One key message is flexibility, allowing communities to development a program to meet local needs.  There are numerous educational  programs and initiatives that have been implemented in Missouri schools.  Some have similar goals or structures and could be packaged with components of this program. When developing a program, incorporate resources from existing programs and initiatives whenever possible. By capitalizing on existing resources, the amount of new components (requiring additional resources) can be limited.

There are also a number of national credentials (academic, occupational licenses, professional-skill certificates) are already in use in Missouri. A number of these credentials are positioned to have great impact in certifying that individuals possess the skills sought by employers.

How can a school guarantee that a student is “ready to work”?

Incorporating a guarantee into the program can be a useful tool that assures stakeholders of a specific outcome. Schools can strengthen an existing partnership with employers by defining and identifying components of a guarantee, which at a minimum is limited to the documented assessment of knowledge and skills. (See planning guide appendix, pp. A3-A14.)

Schools may use standardized assessment results to document mastery of specific academic and work readiness skills. Both criterion- and norm-referenced assessments provide valuable information related to individual knowledge and skill levels. However, the retention of knowledge and the application of skills may or may not be transferable to the workplace.  It is important for employers and schools to pay careful attention to the duration of any guarantee of performance beyond the time that skills are assessed.

How do I market and promote this program?

The process will be more successful by involving stakeholders throughout the planning and development of the program. Establishing an effective partnership takes patience, commitment, open communication, and an investment of time. An existing partnership can be strengthened by building an environment where businesses and schools collaborate and share resources.

Program promotion starts with increasing awareness throughout the community.  In developing a demand-driven system, it is critical to determine strategies to increase awareness and encourage interest in the benefits of the program. Focused efforts to target audiences are recommended.

Who may teach the half-unit course in health required in the high school graduation requirements?

In 2005, the State Board of Education adopted new requirements for all students who graduate from public high schools in Missouri.  One of those requirements includes a half-unit course in health education.  Any person with a valid Missouri teaching certificate in Health Education or Family and Consumer Sciences education may teach the required health education.

The course numbers in the core data manual and the Family and Consumer Sciences Implementation Handbook do not match. Which course numbers should I use for my family and consumer sciences courses when reporting them in Core Data?

The numbers preceding the course titles/course descriptions for the family and consumer sciences courses in the Implementation Handbook are numbers used at the state level for federal reporting purposes. Core data is a state reporting system, therefore, you should use the numbers assigned to the family and consumer sciences courses as outlined on page 174 of the “Core Data Collection System Manual”.  The person who prepares the core data for your district will have a copy of this manual.  The family and consumer sciences course numbers for core data reporting all begin with “0968—“. 

Who decides when and where the Missouri ACTE conference will be held?

A: According to Missouri ACTE policy, the conference is held annually on the last full week of the month of July.  The Missouri ACTE Board of Directors, made of representatives of all the divisions of Missouri ACTE, determines the location of the conference on recommendation of its Program Improvement Committee.

Every two years, the Missouri ACTE Board sends out Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) to all Convention and Visitor Bureaus in the state. The proposals submitted in response to the RFP provide Missouri ACTE with information about available hotels, sleeping room and meeting space, and conference rates for each division of Missouri ACTE.

The Missouri ACTE Program Improvement Committee reviews all submitted proposals and makes recommendations to the Missouri ACTE Board of Directors as to the location that will provide accommodations for a high quality conference at the best value for all divisions of the organization. The Missouri ACTE Board votes and awards a two-year contract.

The conference has been held in Springfield for a number of years. Why isn’t it held in centrally located Columbia or another large city such as Kansas City or St. Louis, or the Lake of the Ozarks?

A: Location in the state is not the deciding factor for determining the conference location. Many other factors contributing to a quality, affordable conference for all members are considered by the Missouri ACTE Board of Directors during the proposal process. Springfield has been chosen the conference location for the past 14 years based on their proposals providing adequate, affordable housing for conference attendees; adequate meeting room and other accommodations needed by the divisions; and, for the other monetary support provided for the conference by the Springfield Convention and Visitor’s Bureau.

When other cities have submitted proposals, individual sleeping room rates quoted by participating hotels in those cities have been consistently and significantly higher than those from Springfield, and meeting room space and availability quoted was often not sufficient to meet the needs of all divisions of the organization. Again, providing a high quality conference at the best value for all conference divisions and attendees has been the overall goal for conference location selection.

How are division hotels assigned?

Division hotels are assigned a headquarters hotel based on membership. Sleeping room accommodations and meeting room needs are reviewed and divisions are assigned to the properties that best fit the needs of the division.

Even though Springfield has a large number of hotels, many of the properties do not provide both adequate sleeping rooms AND meeting room space to accommodate individual divisions. Therefore, there are a limited number of hotels that can be utilized by individual divisions that meet their needs for BOTH meetings and sleeping room accommodations for every member.  For this reason, overflow hotels are assigned to each division to accommodate additional sleeping room needs.

Are decimals required to be stored in the data or are they inferred?

Decimals must be stored with the data value when being submitted to the MOSIS Data Collection.

Are leading zero’s required for numeric data elements?

No, they are not.

Are the MOSIS files going to be comma delimited or fixed width?

Files can either be comma or tab delimited.  Fixed length is not allowed.

What about reclassification of student's grade levels?

If a student changes grades during a school year, use the remained/retained or remained/advanced code set.

Can students have more than one entry and exit date?

Yes, entry and exit dates, and status codes should be provided each time a student you provide services for exits a school, changes grade levels, or changes residency status.

How do I obtain user access for MOSIS?

To gain access, you will need to submit a MOSIS access request form for each person that you wish to have access to the program.  Here is the link to access the request form: http://dese.mo.gov/data-system-management/user-managerlogin-request-forms .  Please complete the fields and click the “Retrieve Printable Form” button for the completed form.  Please fax the form with the superintendent’s signature and security pin code along with the user’s signature to the number on the form.

Who needs a Missouri State ID assigned to them?

Any student you provide services to should have an ID issued to them.  For example, State School, summer school, preschool, and kindergarten students would all need a State ID.  You will need to do a search and if you find the student, use the ID already assigned to them, or if one has not been assigned, go ahead and do so.

When assigning a State ID to preschoolers, what school code do I use?

If you do not have a preschool school code, use the elementary code.

How do I update/change a student's gender or date of birth?

In previous versions of the MOSIS ID system, you would need to use the "Enter Individual Student" option and enter all the information, including the corrected information along with the State ID already assigned, and click "Assign State ID." Then you may need to "Resolve Near Match" and you will click on the circle next to the information you just entered and click "Assign Selected" and this will update the new information.  In the latest version of the MOSIS system, when a student is listed under your district there is an "Edit Student" button that allows for easier editing.

What is the process for a user to have access to two different buildings for MOSIS?

The ID system is setup for either district wide access or for one building only.

Will the MOSIS system eventually replace Core Data?

MOSIS is a pilot right now, but will eventually be used to replace the way we capture Core Data.

What year should I use when assigning an ID?

We look at a school year as July 1 to June 30.  So, starting July 1, 2007 you will want to use 2008 for the 2007-2008 school year.

Is there a way to search a batch file?

Yes, click on "Batch Search" from the Menu.

Is a First Year Freshman (FYF) a student who has been retained?

You are only a First Year Freshman the first year you become a Freshman. If you are retained, you would not be a FYF again.

What data is available to view outside of our district?

There is aggregate data available on the District Profiles located online, MOSIS does not do this at this time, but is looking to the future for the kinds of reports that will be available for inside and outside your district.

Where are the code sets used for MOSIS?

You can locate the Code Sets online here.

When a student changes from Full-Time to Part-Time, what residency status change is made?

You will use 'remained-other' for this case.

After uploading my trial, I get the error code "ExitDestDistrictCode is not a valid district code." What do I put here?

If you do not have a valid district code to input, make sure nothing is entered here, including zeros which may have automatically been entered.

Is it possible to incorporate this information in the updated “Understanding your MOSIS ID” document?

We are working on a User Manual at this time.

How should districts report homeless?

Homeless is required in the June Student Core and Enrollment and Attendance submission.  Homeless is located within the Student Core file and uses a specific set of codes that can be located here.

What do we do about parsing errors?

Parsing errors usually indicate you have one of the following problems with your file:
1. Your file is missing a header row or one or more headers.
2. Your file has one or more incorrect delimiters.
3. Your file has a delimiter in a comment field that needs to be quoted or removed.  This is done by placing quotes around your value.  e.g. "Moved to Springfield, IL."

We do not enter our pre-K students into our SIS system which issues the local id, is there a different way to do it?

They can be entered into the system online or via a batch file.

You still have to have a local id and my SIS system assigns the student id, if I make one up it will be wrong when they enter into Kindergarten?

The local ID can be determined by the school district.

If a student transfers to my district do I have to enter all of the information again instead of just being able to edit it?

Yes, you may edit the student’s information by using the “Enter Individual Student” function, and once the correct information is submitted with your district information, you will be able to use the new, quicker “Edit” function for future edits. 

For students entering my district, would I have to edit records by using the “Enter Individual Student” option on the Menu?

Yes, you would still have to enter them individually or submit via a batch process.

Are VICC students residents of the district where they are attending or are they a resident of where they live?

These students are residents of the St. Louis City or County District.

What are schools using to determine whether or not their 8th graders are Technology Literate? Is there a specific list of criteria we are supposed to be using?

Currently DESE does not have a state specific technology standard that 8th grade students should be measured against.  Districts are encouraged to use the National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS*S).  More information about NETS*S can be found on the International Society for Technology in Education website.

Is screen #17 included in the Student Core portion of June's Cycle?


Where can we find the June Cycle templates to download? Are we required to use these templates to download our data?

The templates are located  here.  There are three available for June; these include Student Core, Discipline Incidents, and Enrollment/Attendance.  Your Vendor will do the extract for you. Templates were designed for districts without local data management systems and for pilot testing purposes.

Will you show us how to combine our separate buildings into one district file?

One way to combine files for upload is to open each file in Notepad, and then you will need to create a file for Student Enrollment/Attendance by copying and pasting your separate files into one combined one, and do the same for the Student Discipline files.  When combining these files you need to be sure and remove the header rows that contain the column headings, except for the very first one that should be located at the very top of your file, if they are duplicated anywhere else in the document the file will not upload. 

Is this going to work similar to Core Data, in the fact that you only have to correct the errors, but not the warnings to certify?

Correct, you can certify with warnings.

How are we going to deal with missing data due to the fact this has been implemented so late in the year?

This is a pilot. We are hoping that over the course of the year we will be able to capture all required elements.

Will there be a report that shows the aggregate numbers, like total attendance hours for the entire school or district, once the individual student data is uploaded?

Yes, the MOSIS data collection tool currently has Attendance Summary reports in the June cycle that show this data. 

If we don't submit in June can we submit one in a later cycle?

Yes, we will leave the cycles open throughout the year. We will also be testing historical changes, for instance if a dropout is recovered.

Is this currently a voluntary process?

Yes, however we encourage school districts to participate to not only help us, but also to become more familiar with the MOSIS process.

Can we submit this data as our SR program makes those exports available?


Will this integrate with Core Data after the pilot year? I only coordinate the entry of data from many different sources throughout our district.

This process will change the way districts submit data. DESE will be aggregating the data.

SIS said that their SISk12 program would be ready for June, but SISWIN will not be ready until after the summer.


Why not wait till they come out with the SISWIN version?

That is ok to wait. When it is available please do submit the June data.

Can we use the existing system for now *and* use the pilot system?

Yes, you will continue to enter your Core Data as you always have, and may try submitting data through the MOSIS Data Collection System as well.

We have problems with our Discipline report. It is only pulling up Safe School offenses. Is there a way to have that report driven by the action code?

This may be something to discuss with your SIS vendor.

Is the precode system used for MAP?


Does pre-K include ECSE students?


Is there a batch lookup of student id's available?


How can we check to see which students have our school code, if they have come from a different school?

By performing a Student Search you could verify the information for a record.

Should we do one batch upload in August/September for all enrolled students?


What district code do we use for out of state, non-resident students?

You will want to use your district code for these students.

Our SIS vendor is not participating in this trial upload. We would like to participate. Do you have any suggestions?

You are welcome to participate. File layouts and Excel templates are available online.

Is a student who is a first year freshman considered a student who has not been retained?

Yes, that is correct.

Is there a way to indicate if a student is a Tech Prep student?

Yes, they are on the Student Core file as a career education student. This will also be tracked via the Teacher Student Course collection.

What data from outside our district is available for us to view for comparison figures such as discipline?

Currently there are aggregate statistics available on the DESE website. This data will be available via MOSIS Phase IV.

When you say practice, do you mean we can upload sample files that will not be permanently attached to actual student records?

Correct, this is only a pilot, you may upload trials in the Data Collection system and work through the errors to certify and practice this process.

I am finding out that 6 weeks lead time is not enough time for our vendors. They are asking for 2-3 months instead. Would this be possible?

We are continuing to attempt to meet that request.

Our vendor only provides the new way of sending data. Will you accept this as our true data?

Yes, on a case by case basis.

In the question above what is meant by new data?

Traditional core data collection system vs. the updated MOSIS data collection system.

Are all 57 data items of the student core submitted each cycle, including the August cycle?

No, we will not require Student Core in August. Documentation updates to come.

Will this new procedure replace the older MAP precoding procedures in 2008, and when will the new procedures be required?

Yes, MAP-Precode is being replaced by a collection of the Student Core file in December.  These data will be used to pre-code the MAP booklets.  In April another Student Core collection will be gathered and those data will be used to update the demographics of the students who took the MAP test.

If the trial is certified, is there any reason keep the saved upload?

No, once you certify a trial you may delete your saved trial if you wish to. The saved trial is only for your use; DESE will not use that data at all.

When we try this do we need to submit in any particular order? Ex: Can we send discipline first?

No particular order is necessary.

When do the MOSIS ID numbers need to be submitted to receive MOSIS precode labels?

In December.

If you assign all pre-K students an ID, you will have to enroll them. How will this affect attendance?

Assigning any student an ID has no affect on enrollment or attendance for your district.  Only data collected through the MOSIS Data Collection System can affect those counts.  The MOSIS ID system is used only to assign an ID and does not officially assign a student to any district.  You may have to visit with the vendor of your student management system to determine the best way to include the student in your local system.

Will this process include the Physical Fitness Assessment items?

Yes the Student Core does capture that data.

When a student exits our district we do not initially track the transfer district in our SMS, is this something we will need to begin doing?

This field has been added to the pilot. In the future we will begin tracking and monitoring this information.

Our data system does not have all of your required elements in the student core file (ex. 8th grade literacy is not in our student management system). When we submit our student core data in June this element will be missing. Will we be able to certify

The files must include all of the column headings to be uploaded successfully.

Has the state considered a state-wide student management system?

Currently we will continue to focus on working with the individual vendors.

How do other districts collect this info in a timely manner?

A student is not reported as a transfer until the official document is received from the receiving school via a transcript records request.

On the attendance upload, for students who transfer within the district, do we need to have separate records for the schools?

Yes. This is reported in the enrollment and attendance file every time there is a change in school, grade, building, etc.

Should I keep paper copies of all submitted reports?

You can save paper copies for your own records if you would like to.

We have a juvenile justice center, do they need MOSIS numbers?

Yes, any student receiving services needs a MOSIS ID.

Do you know if Pentamation is working with DESE on this?

Pentamation is included on our list of vendors DESE has been communicating with.

We have not done the Phase II - when will that be open so we can do the Pre-Coding? Is PowerSchool working with DESE on this?

MAP-Precode is being replaced by a collection of the Student Core file in December.  These data will be used to pre-code the MAP booklets.  In April another Student Core collection will be gathered and those data will be used to update the demographics of the students who took the MAP test.  There is a list of vendors and the participation status on the web site.

Where can I locate the MOSIS website?

Will we be able to add more students in April to the Pre-Code?

Yes, the April Cycle will include all students that had been enrolled through April.

What about corrections of MAP demographics this year?

Yes in September.

The first comma delimited file I created and submitted was altered with Excel. Can I make a test file to prove it now works properly?


We are changing from Lemberger to Infinite Campus. Will they be included?

Yes. Rockwood School currently uses their tool.

Our district bookkeeper currently reports all the Core Data information. She is secretary @ the Elem level and I am secretary @ the HS level. If we do the pilot trials will that mess up the information the bookkeeper submits for the June cycle?


Have any of the current SIS companies made the changes necessary for their schools to upload a trial?

Many of the vendors have been testing files to be sure that their export process is working properly.

Who is required to have a 7500 code for preschool?

It is not required, but Core Data has a specific code for schools with attendance centers and pre-K schools.

How do you claim a student if they belong to another district?

You do not claim a student, but rather manage them through the ID system.  You may edit the record to reflect your district codes by using the “enter individual student” feature and entering all of the current information including any updates along with the already assigned state ID. This will list the student under your district code.

Since the Social Security Number (SSN) is required - what can we use for the pre-K student if they are not required to give us their SSN? Also, if someone already has an ID number and they now attend our district; do we have to assign them another ID num

SSN is not required. Local student ID is. No you would not assign a new ID number if the student already had an ID number.

If a student is retained this year do I need to go in and edit the grade level?

You do not have to edit the grade level if you are using the batch process.

Will this slide show be on the DESE web site for viewing?

The PowerPoint slides as well as the documents being referenced have been posted on the MOSIS site.

What about non-resident students of faculty members who attend our school?

Yes - Faculty children are reported as Resident I.

So, we enter that information for every student in the district and if they transfer, what district and school they go to?

Yes, you would use the exit codes to reflect their exit information.

If they transfer out of state, is there a code for that also?

Yes, there is an exit code for Transferring Out of State, and specifically if they transferred to a private, public, or home school.

If we can't update another district’s info, how would we correct the school info if they now attend our district? Is there a place to get another district's number when students transfer?

You may edit the record to reflect your district codes by using the “enter individual student” feature and entering all of the current information including any updates along with the already assigned state ID and this will list the student under your district code.  Once they are listed under you, there is an “Edit” button you can use in the future to update the student’s record.

Is it very important that the legal name of the student is the one on the birth certificate? So many use different names.

Yes, please use the legal name.

Would each record have multiple fields for Entry/Exit Codes, etc.?

Yes we anticipate that if a student changes status multiple times that they will be reported multiple times.

Will the discipline file only collect the ISS & OSS students like the Core Data collects?

We are asking you to report what is on screen 9 currently. All discipline incidents resulting in suspension/expulsion (removal from regular classroom setting) for .5 day or more are to be reported.

Do you have to upload both files at the same time or can you do just one?

Yes you need to upload both files. You can submit a file for either one with just the header information to do testing with, even though you don't have data within the other file.

Do we need a web-based software program in order for this system to work properly?

Yes you need web access to the system to submit your data.

Does this system include summer school information or students that attend summer school that are not in our district during the regular year?

Yes, in the August submission we are capturing summer school data.

How will we get out of district MOSIS IDs?

Districts can do a batch lookup to obtain IDs. If the student does not have an ID you can assign one.

So we would have to "transfer" them to our school for summer school, and then the other school would transfer them back in August? What if they transfer them back and we don't get credit for their attendance?

The August MOSIS Student Enrollment and Attendance collection does not collect exit/entry data for students.  You report the hours the student attended in your summer school program.

If we submit a trial will it go to Core Data or is it just a trial to see how the submission works?

This process is currently a trial to make sure it works as planned.

Are we allowed to keep a running list of discipline reports during the year once we go 'live' with the MOSIS Phase III next June? It will be a pain to have to record them all at one time.

Local district policy should stipulate how discipline data is collected and stored.  You will report the data to MOSIS once a year in the June Cycle.

When will MOSIS Phase IV be available?

Some of the reporting will be available within the next 6 months.

Will there be any hands-on workshops for us to attend to get more comfortable with this process?

We are planning on conducting more trainings this fall.

We are in the process of updating with our vendor; will I be able to do a trial later in the coming year?

Yes, each cycle will be left open for you to test with.

What are Afterschool Programs?

Before- and after-school programs provide students with academic enrichment opportunities and activities designed to complement their regular school day's academic program during non-school hours by providing a range of high-quality services to support student learning and development, including tutoring and mentoring, homework help, academic enrichment (such as hands-on math, reading/language arts, and science programs), community service opportunities, as well as music, arts, sports, and cultural activities.   Here in Missouri, we tend to use the terms School Age Community, 21st Century Community Learning Center, and Afterschool.  They mean the same thing.  We also see other names for these programs; these may include but are not limited to Latchkey, Adventure club, Extended Day, Enrichment and Beyond School.  No matter what terms or titles are used, the mission is the same, to provide a safe, enriching place for school age youth to be during non-traditional school hours.  

How do I start an Afterschool Program at my school?

You can contact any of our staff to get information on starting an afterschool program.  

Is there money available?

Yes, DESE typically offers two grant cycles annually.  Click on the Grants link to learn more.  

Is there someone near me who can assist?

Yes, Afterschool Regional Educators (AREs) are located regionally throughout the state to provide technical assistance and training.  Click on Technical Assistance to learn more.

How can I tell if our program is a high quality program?

Click on the Quality Indicators link for characteristics of a good program.  These are not the only indicators.  You can find more information at Related Links.  

How many school age students are there in Missouri?

At the last count, there were approximately 1,057,794 children between the ages of 6 and 18 in Missouri.  Of these, 77% have a mother who works outside the home.  

Once a child enters school, why should we worry about more afterschool programs?

School age youth spend only 20% of their waking hours in school.  Over 77% of the school age youth in Missouri have either single or dual working parents, leaving over 700,000 school age children at risk of being home alone or long periods of time.  Juvenile crime rates triple between the hours of 3-6 p.m.

Is there usually a fee for afterschool programs?

Usually, but no child will ever be turned away from a public school-based afterschool program due to not being able to pay.  Many programs offer a sliding fee scale.  There are many ways spaces can be funded, such as child care subsidies and scholarships.

What are the hours?

Hours will vary from program to program, but generally programs are open to accommodate working families.  We see sites open before school as early as 6:30 am and they remain open until 5:00 or 6:00 pm, depending on the community needs.  Programs may also be open during school vacations, holidays, summers and other times as well. 

Will homework/tutoring be a part of an afterschool program?

Typically yes, however, a high quality afterschool program will have a strong balance between academic, social, leisure recreation and life skills choices.  Afterschool does not dupliate the school day but rather extends the opportunities for learning and offers practical hands-on experiences to supplement the theories learned in school.  For example, a student may be working on fractions during the school day and in the afterschool program, they may do a cooking project where they put into practice the theory of fractions.  (How do you add 1/2 plus 3/4 cups?  Or how do you divide a pie into enough servings for everyone?)

How long does it take for the background check to be completed?

Currently, fingerprints processing time is 2-3 weeks, depending on what is on your background and how backed up the Highway Patrol are. 

What fee is required for the FBI Background Check?

The Missouri Applicant Processing Services provided by the fingerprint company contracted by the Missouri Highway Patrol charges $44.80.

How will I be notified of the results of my background check?

You will need to check your online profile through Web Applications to see when it clears if you are a teacher or substitute teacher.  If you are in an uncertified position or a bus driver, only the school district listed will be notified.

How do I get a background check packet?

You can visit our fingerprint/background check page to print off the fingerprint information checklist for further details on the process.  

Graduation Requirements: How many credits does a student need to graduate?

The State Board of Education establishes minimum graduation requirements that are designed to ensure that graduates have taken courses in several different subject areas and mastered essential knowledge, skills, and competencies.  Local boards of education must adopt graduation policies that include at least the state minimum graduation requirements.  Local board policy may include additional requirements in accordance with needs and aspirations of students and the communities they serve.

In 2005, the State Board of Education adopted new graduation requirements beginning with the class of 2010.  

Minimum State Graduation Requirements beginning with Class of 2010

The state minimum high school graduation requirements comprise 24 units of credit that must be earned prior to graduation.  The requirements are stated in terms of the number of units of credit that must be earned in each of several subject areas.  To earn one unit of credit, a student must meet all the course requirements and earn a passing grade.

Following are the requirements by subject area and, in some cases, specific courses.  

*Indicates that the personal finance course may count one half unit of credit towards meetings this requirement. 

Follow this link for more information regarding Graduation Requirements for Students in Missouri Public Schools.

What are the evaluation criteria to be considered for Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled eligibility?

Essentially, the student must be functioning overall in the severe range of ability (including adaptive behavior) of below four standard deviations below the mean and the Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled (MSSD) must be the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) for the student. Both criteria must be met. Decisions on eligibility are made by a team of MSSD personnel and the decision on such eligibility is not appealable. The home district may resubmit new information for consideration, but all information previously submitted will also be included in the decision-making process. It is incumbent on MSSD to ensure that a student is appropriate for placement in our District. However, MSSD cannot accept students who are classified under Young Child with a Developmental Delay (YCDD) as there is no preschool program. Students must be considered to be in kindergarten. 

The answers in the Justification for Separate School Placement (JOP) are used when determining whether or not MSSD would be the LRE for the student. 


What should a school district consider before requesting MSSD eligibility?

The cognitive ability of the child, the functional ability of the child, and the appropriateness of a segregated placement must all be considered. Students who educationally benefit from special education and related services that can be provided by local educational agencies are not considered eligible for services through MSSD. In general, students with disabilities such as cognitive deficits falling two to three standard deviations below the mean, Speech or Language Impairments, Hearing Impaired/Deaf, Visually Impaired/Blind, Learning Disabilities, Emotional Disturbance, Other Health Impaired, Traumatic Brain Injury, or Orthopedically Impaired can receive an appropriate education when served by local educational agencies.

Students must meet the cognitive deficit requirement to be eligible, and the school district must justify that the public separate school placement proposal represents the least restrictive environment. A student, who meets the significant cognitive deficits criteria, and is accepted by MSSD must attain the age of five (5) years before they may enroll. Additionally, MSSD does not accept students who are homebound and unable to attend school at least part-time. Students may be enrolled in the MSSD until their 21st birthday.

What documentation does the local school district need to send to MSSD for an eligibility determination?

The documentation required is explained in detail in the Eligibility Determination Resource Guide on this website. If all documentation required is not submitted, a letter will be sent to the district requesting the information.An eligibility determination can not be made without all required components.

What is the process/timeline for an eligibility determination?

When MSSD receives an eligibility determination packet from a district, a letter is sent to the student’s parents notifying them of the submission and providing them seven (7) days to contact MSSD with any information they may wish to provide. At the end of this time, the eligibility team reviews the information and determines:

  1. more information is needed; or
  2. the student is eligible; or
  3. the student is ineligible.

A letter is sent to the district setting forth of the decision or requesting further information. If the student is eligible, the notice shall specify the school site assignment should the student be referred.

While MSSD processes submitted eligibility packets as soon as possible, the entire process does take time since there is usually more than one step. In fact, in approximately 90% of the submissions the district is asked to provide other information or clarify statements made in the JOP. Because there is often a need for further information, it is advisable for districts to submit eligibility packets a few weeks before the end of the school year so that personnel will be available to provide the additional information and a decision on the student’s eligibility can be made prior to the start of the next school year.

A student currently attending MSSD moves into our district, how should we proceed in order to continue placement in MSSD?

A student who is enrolled in a school that is part of the MSSD district and moves from one home school district to another may transfer enrollment immediately on the basis of the justification for separate school placement, current IEP and evaluation report. Such a move is considered an interim placement, not to exceed thirty (30) days, during which the new local district follows the transfer procedures outlined in Regulation III of the State Plan, Procedures for Evaluation and Determination of Eligibility, to confirm placement in the MSSD as the least restrictive educational environment for the student. The district then compiles and submits to the MSSD the Agreement for Continued Placement under the existing IEP.

A student from another district who was in a separate day school facility (not part of MSSD) has recently moved into our district, what must we do in order to have MSSD consider eligibility or enrollment?

A sixty day interim placement in the MSSD may be available for students with severe disabilities who are changing school districts due to a change in residence. These students must have been receiving services in their local district; through cooperative arrangement by their home district with another school district; in a special school district; or, in an out-of-state program for students with severe disabilities. To qualify for this interim placement, the criteria stated in Regulation XVI of the State Plan must be met:

  • The current IEP and evaluation report are adopted by the new school district pursuant to transfer procedures provided within Regulation IV, Least Restrictive Environment of the State Plan.
  • The new district submits a copy of the student’s current IEP and evaluation report to the MSSD with a letter acknowledging adoption of the documents. In the same letter, the new district will verify the previous placement provided educational services in a self-contained classroom with students with severe disabilities in a separate school
    building. In addition, the district requests that the student be served in a sixty day interim placement to confirm concurrence with placement in the MSSD as the least restrictive educational environment for the student.
  • The MSSD will issue a letter of interim placement assignment if the information submitted is viewed as substantiating the request.
  • Enrollment paperwork must be completed at the onset of the sixty day interim placement period. MSSD will notify the LEA of the date of the student’s enrollment.
  • During the sixty day interim placement, the local district shall follow the referral procedures to seek eligibility determination in accordance with established MSSD referral procedures. Upon receipt of the referral, MSSD will issue a notice of action to the district and parents confirming continued placement in MSSD. If, during the sixty day interim period, the local school district fails to submit the Justification of Separate School Placement (JOP), the student shall be served by the LEA.

If MSSD is not confirmed as the student's least restrictive educational environment, the local district is notified of this decision and becomes responsible for providing the required special education and related services in accordance with Missouri State Plan Regulation V, Procedural Safeguards, and Regulation IV, Individualized Education Programs of the State Plan.

Who is responsible for reevaluation of students enrolled in Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled?

At least once every three years, the local district shall conduct a reevaluation. Reevaluation shall be conducted in accordance with Regulation III.

Should the local school district send new evaluation reports, and/or documentation that no further assessment is required, to Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled?

The results of any reevaluations are addressed by the student's Individualized Education Program (IEP) team in reviewing and as appropriate, revising the student's IEP.  Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled (MSSD) will be involved as IEP team members. All evaluations will be sent to MSSD. 

What are Missouri State Schools for the Severely Disabled, and whom do they serve?

The Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled (MSSD), a system of day school services in separate school settings, were established by state law to serve those students with severe disabilities referred to the State Board of Education by local school districts which do not operate such programs themselves and which are not a part of special school districts. If the evaluation information and the Individualized Education Program (IEP) compiled by the local district supports separate school placement as the student's least restrictive educational environment, the local education agency may seek determination of student eligibility for services.

Missouri State Plan

Can a student who has an IEP and is eligible for special education services under IDEA also receive Title I services?

Yes. However, this decision is made by the district/building level staff. In making the decision, the building level staff must decide if a child with an IEP who is already receiving additional services through special education would benefit more by receiving the Title I services than another child who is also in need of Title I services but not receiving any additional services from the district. It should also be noted that an IEP team cannot commit Title I services through the IEP process, since the district/building staff make the decisions about the use of Title I resources. Therefore, if a child does receive Title I services it should NOT be documented in the IEP.

Why is this important?

The educational requirements for occupations are increasing, particularly for new and emerging occupations, high-technical, high-skilled, and high-wage jobs.  In addition, changes to the economy, job requirements and society now demand that every high school student graduate prepared to continue to postsecondary education and the workforce.

The relationship between the health of a community and state and the quality of education is well-documented. Our state, and the communities in our state, cannot be successful without high-quality education. Nowhere is this more apparent than with respect to employment and economic development. Consider the following statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor:

  • The unemployment rate for high school dropouts in 2009 was 14.6 percent. In contrast, it was 9.7 percent for those with a high school diploma, 6.8 percent for those with an associate degree and 3.9 percent for those with a bachelor’s degree.
  • In 2009, adults without a high school diploma had weekly median incomes of $454 ($23,608 annually).  In contrast, those with a bachelor’s degree earned $1,025 per week ($53,300 annually).  For a professional degree, the figure was $1,529 a week ($79,508 annually).
  • By 2018, 63 percent of all jobs in the United States will require at least some kind of postsecondary diploma. Most rapid employment growth will be among jobs that require, at minimum, a master’s degree.

Without a well-trained workforce, Missouri will face a future of high unemployment, low-paying jobs and economic failure. Low wages and high unemployment lead to low state revenue―low state revenue leads to inadequately funded state programs―and inadequately funded state programs lead to poor performance in key areas including public education.  This is the formula for a state spiraling downwards in terms of quality of life for its citizens.

When is this goal to be reached?

The year 2020 is the target date for this goal.  Annual benchmarks will be established and monitored to track progress toward meeting the goal.

What strategies will be used to achieve this important goal?

The Missouri Education Reform Plan outlines the critical strategies that will be used to become a top 10 performing state. This includes:

1) Expanding opportunities for quality voluntary early childhood education.

2) Developing a comprehensive system for the recruitment, preparation, selection, support and evaluation of effective educators.

3) Implementing higher and clearer academic and performance standards and a rigorous and internationally benchmarked assessment system.

4) Developing and using the longitudinal data system to improve instruction.

5) Improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

Are there other educational performance measures that emphasize the need for improvement in Missouri?

While historically Missouri has made significant progress, the data clearly show there is a need for greater improvement.

  • The number of Missouri high school dropouts last year was nearly 10,000 students.
  • Only 35 percent of Missouri adults 18-24 are enrolled in college.
  • Approximately 38 percent of Missouri college students need non-college credit-bearing remedial courses.
  • Four of five Missouri high school graduates do not earn a college degree by their early 20s.
  • Just over one-third of Missourians 25-34 hold an associate degree or higher.

Why the emphasis on early childhood education?

The research is clear that children who enter school ready to meet its academic, social and emotional demands are more likely to achieve success in academics and in life.  States that want to increase college readiness and success must be strategic and coordinated in their investments in these early years.  These include programs to ensure access to quality child care, preschool, family supports (including economic and parenting support), child health services, and early identification and intervention for infants and toddlers with disabilities.

The Center for Family Policy & Research recently made a comparison about the cost of incarceration and the cost of early childhood programs.  Researchers agree that the long-term and enduring benefits of high-quality early childhood education programs include an increased rate of high school graduation and a decrease in the rate of criminal activity.

What happens if we don’t succeed?

Complacency and failure to improve will mean that we fall further behind other states and other countries. In a world that is constantly reinventing itself, the challenge to excel is ongoing and the demand to change and improve never abates.

If Missouri’s students are not among top performers nationally and internationally, they simply will not be able to compete.  If our workforce is not top-performing, Missouri as a state won’t compete either.  This means that the vast majority of our high school graduates will not be employable in high-skills/high-knowledge jobs that pay decent wages.  It means fewer good employers will want to locate in Missouri.  It means our young adults will not be job-ready or life-ready.

What happens if we do succeed?

At the turn of the century, economic visionary Peter Drucker wrote an article for The Economist titled “The Next Society.” In this article he said, “The next society will be a knowledge society. Knowledge will be its key resources, and knowledge workers will be the dominant group in its workforce.”

As Drucker pointed out, this goes far beyond the traditional definition of “knowledge workers”—doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants and chemical engineers, for example. This group also includes what he called “knowledge technologists”—computer technicians, software designers, analysts in clinical labs, manufacturing technologists and paralegals. Drucker describes these jobs as follows:

These people are as much manual workers as they are knowledge workers; in fact, they usually spend far more time working with their hands than with their brains. But their manual work is based on a substantial amount of theoretical knowledge which can be acquired only through formal education, not through an apprenticeship. They are not, as a rule, much better paid than traditional skilled workers, but they see themselves as “professionals.”  Just as unskilled manual workers in manufacturing were the dominant social and political force in the 20th century, knowledge technologists are likely to become the dominant social—and perhaps also political—force over the next decades.

If Missouri succeeds, it will become an international destination for businesses needing knowledge workers. This means good jobs and the resulting good wages.  Good wages translate into a high demand for goods and services including high-quality public services.  It means our state is taking the lead in providing successful, vibrant communities for its residents. It means a bright future for Missouri.

It all begins with education.

Where should I mail my correspondence?

Please mail correspondence to Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City MO 65102.  Include your Educator ID number on all correspondence.  

How can I obtain a copy of my certificate?

The department no longer prints and mails paper certificates, but you do have access to an electronic version in our online certification system.  You will need to log on to DESE Web Applications with your user id and password.  Once you have access to your profile page, the Certificate Status link is located in the Menu to the left.  By clicking on Certificate Status, you will see the box that says View Certificate.  You will then be able to view and print your teaching certificate.

Where do I find my certificate number?

The department does not issue or utilize certificate numbers.

How long is the processing time during the summer months?

Due to fluctuations in the volume of online applications and inquiries received during the summer months in anticipation for the upcoming school year, it is often difficult to estimate processing time of an application/certificate.  Processing time may be six weeks or longer from the date of the last piece of information received (application, transcript, background clearance, etc.) . You may monitor the status of your application on your online profile page under “Application Status” in the menu on the left or at the bottom of the page.  We will not expedite an application at the request of an individual educator.  If a Missouri school district must have a certificate processed sooner, the superintendent must make the request by phone. We are aware that contracts are contingent on valid certificates. We assure you we are working diligently to be prepared for the upcoming school year.

How may I check the status of my application?

You may check the status of your application on your profile page in our online certification system at any time. You will need to log on to DESE Web Applications with your user id and password.  Once you have access to your profile page, an Application Status link is located in one of the gray bars near the bottom of the page.

Will my degree and/or coursework be accepted for certification?

For your degree and/or coursework to be accepted to meet certification requirements, they must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university. The regional accrediting agencies accepted by our department include the following: 

  • Middle States, Association of Colleges and Schools 
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Association of School and Colleges 
  • Southern Association of Colleges and School 
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • AdvancEd
  • Higher Learning Commission 

Do I have to complete a Missouri background check if I have recently completed one in another state?

Yes. You are required to complete a Missouri fingerprint background check for the department.

What is the fee for a background check?

The fee for this process is currently $41.75.

Will I be notified of the results of my background check?

No.  You can check the status of your background check on your profile page in our online certification system.  You will need to log on to DESE Web Applications with your user id and password.  Once you have access to your profile page, a Fingerprint Information link is located in one of the gray bars near the bottom of the page.

If I am upgrading my certificate or applying for an additional area of certification, do I have to be fingerprinted again?

No, not unless your certificate has been expired for more than 11 months.

If I am changing school districts do I have to be fingerprinted again?

Yes.  All new hires to school districts must be fingerprinted if a background clearance has not been received within the past 12 months.

Can I receive a certificate if I have felony or misdemeanor charges and/or convictions?

Please see Educator Certification Conduct and Investigations for information regarding the related rules and statutes.

Am I subject to disciplinary action if I resign at my school district and take a position at another school district?

If you break a written contract without your employing School Board’s approval, your school district may ask the State Board of Education to discipline your certificate.

What is the definition of a school bus?

The term school bus when used in sections 302.010 to 302.540, RSMo, means any motor vehicle, either publicly or privately owned, used to transport students to and from school, or to transport pupils properly chaperoned to and from any place within the state for educational purposes (302.010, RSMo).

What is defined as a school bus route and who approve these routes?

A bus route begins when a bus leaves a point (home, school, etc.) empty and proceeds on a predetermined route, picking up pupils and then traveling to a school(s) until the bus is empty; and returning the pupils to a designated point after school (5 CSR 30-261.010 (4)(A)(3)). 

These routes are required to be approved by the local board of education by the end of October and any revisions to the routes by the June 30.

What are eligible transportation miles?

Eligible transportation miles are those miles traveled from where the bus is kept at night until it returns to the same location after the pupils have been returned home, as long as it is used only to transport pupils to and from school (at the beginning and ending of the regular school day). Eligible miles include students with disabilities summer school route miles, but do not include non-disabled summer school route miles.  Eligible transportation miles are eligible for state transportation aid (5 CSR 30-261.010 (4)(A)(1) and 5 CSR 30-261.040).

What are ineligible transportation miles?

All miles that are driven for any purpose other than transporting students to and from school during the regular school term are ineligible for state transportation aid. Non-disabled summer school routes, routes ran only to transport students who live less than one mile from school, non-disabled early childhood routes, field trips, athletic trips, and other extra-curricular activity trips are examples of ineligible miles. Miles traveled to rerun a route or part of a route to transport students participating in before-school or after-school activities or training (including remediation and extra-curricular) are also ineligible miles. All ineligible miles shall be recorded and subsequently reported on the Application for State Transportation Aid (5 CSR 30-261.010 (4)(A)(2) and 5 CSR 30-261.040 (3)(B)).

Are summer school miles reimbursable?

Regular summer school miles are not reimbursable and should be reported as ineligible-disapproved route miles. Summer school miles for students in an approved special education program, or whose IEP requires summer school transportation, are eligible for reimbursement and should be reported as eligible handicapped miles.

Why don’t school buses have required seat belts?

School buses are equipped with a passive restraint system called compartmentalization that means that the seating area of a school bus is built with specially padded high-back, wider, thicker seats that protect students in school buses during accidents.  No metal surfaces are exposed and seats are spaced close together to contain the students in cushioned compartments.

What is a hardship transfer?

A hardship transfer is a petition for the assignment of pupils based upon the finding of an unusual or unreasonable transportation hardship, usually requiring a ride time greater than 75 minutes (167.121, RSMo. and 5 CSR 20-261.050).

What is the maximum time a student can ride the bus?

Maximum ride time is set by the local boards of education.  There are no restrictions on ride time within the Missouri statutes or State Board of Education regulations.

What are the Missouri Minimum Standards for School Buses?

Missouri Minimum Standards for School Buses are equipment specifications that are contained in the Minimum Standards for School Buses Manual and apply to all school buses manufactured after a certain date, used to transport Missouri public school students.  The Minimum Standards are usually revised every five years (5 CSR 30-261.025).

What is the Exemplary School Bus Maintenance Award?

The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education provides an Exemplary School Bus Maintenance Award to school districts and/or contractors who have 90% or more of their buses pass the Missouri State Highway Patrol spring school bus inspection on their first attempt.  An award is also presented to school districts and/or contractors who have achieved the 90% passage for five or more consecutive years.

How does a school district safely transport early childhood students?

Missouri law mandates that children under the age of 4 be transported in a child safety restraint system (210.104, RSMo); it is recommended by the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that children 4 and over but under 40 pounds also be transported in a child safety restraint system.

In transporting early childhood students, it is recommended that a school district follow the recommendations of NHTSA (https://www.nhtsa.gov/school-buses/child-safety-restraint-systems-csrs-school-buses-national-training).

When does a school bus have to be inspected?

Every school bus used to transport children to or from school must be inspected within sixty days prior to operating the bus during the school year (307.375, RSMo).

When do pretrip inspections need to be conducted?

The board of education must require operators of school buses to conduct and prepare a record of the daily pretrip inspection for each school district (5 CSR 30-261.010 (1)(K)).

How many students can be transported on a school bus?

The operator of a school bus can transport no more children than the manufacturer suggests as appropriate and each passenger must have seating space sufficient enough to ensure that the back of each passenger may come into full contact with the seat back (304.060, RSMo and 5 CSR 30-261.010 (4)(B)3.I).

When is a school district required to perform emergency evacuation drills?

Emergency evacuation drills on school buses are required for all students in kindergarten through sixth grade at least once per semester.  The first drill must be completed prior to October 31.  The public school district board of education shall prescribe emergency evacuation drill requirements for all other students (5 CSR 30-261.010 (1)(J)).

What is the Certified School Bus Driver Instructor Program?

The Certified School Bus Driver Instructor Program is a program to train and certify individuals as school bus driver trainers.  This program should help a school district maintain a trained staff of drivers.  The Certified School Bus Driver Instructor training program is jointly sponsored by University of Central Missouri - Missouri Safety Center, Missouri School Bus Contractors Association (MSBCA), Missouri Association of Pupil Transportation (MAPT), and the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Student Transportation Section.  This program is usually conducted during the month of July and provides individuals with classroom and hands-on practical instruction activities.  The goal is to provide each trainee with a model curriculum and instructional skills necessary to design and implement a school bus driver training program (302.272, RSMo). 

What are the state professional organizations for school transportation?

There are two school transportation associations in Missouri.  The Missouri Association of Pupil Transportation (MAPT) concentrates on membership and services for district-operated transportation systems and the Missouri School Bus Contractors Association (MSBCA) concentrates on membership and services of school bus contractor-operated transportation systems.

Can a school bus be used for purposes other than transporting students?

School district owned vehicles:  No (301.260 and 302.010, RSMo).  Contractor owned vehicles:  Yes, if the vehicle is licensed commercially and the signs indicating it is a school bus are covered in such a way that it will not appear on the highways as a school bus (304.075, RSMo).

What is the minimum distance between school bus stops?

School bus stops should be established no less than 500 feet apart.  The prewarning amber flashing lights are to be activated 500 feet before a designated stop.

What visibility distance is required at a bus stop?

When stopping the school bus must be visible for at least five hundred feet in each direction on a highway with no shoulder and a speed limit greater than sixty miles per hour.  The bus must be visible for at least three hundred feet in each direction on other roadways (304.050, RSMo).

Can a school bus travel onto private property?

Yes, by local board policy a school bus can travel on private property; however, written permission from all property owners is recommended.

Does a public school district have to pay highway/road tax?

Missouri school buses are exempt from paying federal fuel excise tax but must pay Missouri highway/road tax.  For an exemption from federal fuel excise tax or a refund of taxes paid contact the IRS (800/829-1040).  School districts can purchase dyed fuel that allows the exemption from federal fuel excise tax up front when fuel is purchased (573/751-2611).

What transportation requirements are in place for students with disabilities?

Students with disabilities who have special transportation needs must have those needs detailed in the student's IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) under Related Services.  These needs may include the requirement for an aide on the bus with the student, curb-to-curb service, transportation for a student with disabilities living less than one mile from school, and transportation for special education summer school.  If written into the student's IEP these expenses are considered eligible for state transportation aid.

What is the maximum speed limit for a school bus?

There is no speed limit established just for school buses.  The posted speed limit applies to school buses unless the school board policy requires a speed less than the posted speed limit.  The speed limit is 60 m.p.h. if not posted on a roadway (304.010 2.(4), RSMo).

What are allowable transportation costs?

Allowable transportation costs are costs for transporting students under the provisions of Section 304.060, RSMo, administrative support services, and costs paid to other school districts (5 CSR 30-261.040).

How is state transportation aid provided to a school district?

Any school district which makes provisions for transporting pupils as provided in Section 162.621, RSMo, and Sections 167.231 and 167.241, RSMo, shall receive state aid for the ensuing year for such transportation on the basis of the cost of pupil transportation services provided the current year.  A district shall receive, pursuant to Section 163.031, an amount not greater than seventy-five percent of the allowable costs of providing pupil transportation services to and from school and to and from public accredited career education courses, (5 CSR 30-261.040 (5)).

What students are eligible for state transportation aid?

State aid for transportation shall be paid as provided in Section 163.161, RSMo, and as implemented in 5 CSR 30-261.040, only on the basis of the cost of transportation for those living one mile or more from school, those who are transported one mile or more to and from public accredited career education courses, and special education classes either in or outside the district.  School term, career education, and special education students are defined as eligible students in calculating a district's state transportation aid (5 CSR 30-261.040 (4)(A)).

What students who live less than one mile from school can be transported at no appreciable expense?

If a board of education determines that certain students who live less than one mile from school or who are provided shuttle transportation less than one mile to and from specialized learning opportunities are transported at no appreciable expense to that incurred in the transportation of eligible students, a district may provide transportation to these students without increasing or diminishing its entitlement to state transportation aid (5 CSR 30-261.040 (4)(B)).

What are the maximum administrative support service expenditures the district can claim?

Administrative support service expenditures cannot exceed five percent for district-operated and contracted transportation services for each school district's total allowable cost for transportation (5 CSR 30-261.040 (1)(I)).

What are non-allowable transportation costs?

Non-allowable costs include salaries for non-transportation related duties, expenses for the portion of a transportation facility not used for school transportation purposes, buses that are ten years of age or older, supplies for vehicles or equipment that are not used to transport pupils, administrative support service expenditures that exceed 5% of the transportation costs, travel, lodging, and meals associated with professional development and vehicles other than school buses  (5 CSR 30-261.040 (1) (A), (C) 3, (F), (G), (H), and (I)).

What is the predicted cost used in the calculation of state transportation aid?

An analysis of transportation statistics has confirmed a strong correlation between the average number of bus miles per pupil traveled each day and the average cost per pupil mile.  Based on this correlation, a curvilinear regression analysis is computed to predict the cost per pupil mile, based on the number of miles per pupil per day for each district.  Each district has a unique predicted cost factor (5 CSR 30-261.040 (8)).

What is the cost factor?

The district’s cost factor is the ratio of the district’s actual costs to the district’s predicted costs based on an analysis of the district’s data.  If the ratio is one hundred percent or less, the district program is assumed to be efficient.  If the percentage is greater than one hundred percent, there is presumed inefficiency.  The State Board of Education uses this cost factor expressed as a percentage to adjust allowable costs as an incentive for economical service.  A variance factor of four percent based statistically on the standard error has been determined to allow for any possible error in the analysis (5 CSR 30-261.040 (8)).

What does it mean to be efficient or inefficient?

If a school district’s cost factor is 104.00% or below it is considered efficient.  If a district’s cost factor is above 104.00% it is considered inefficient and the district will receive a financial penalty (5 CSR 30-261.040 (8) (A) 1-5).

Is there an advantage to lowering the cost factor below 104.00%? If so, when?

If a district’s cost factor drops below 104.00% no additional transportation aid is generated; however, a drop in cost is always a local district savings, i.e., 75% maximum reimbursement by the state, 25% minimum paid out of local district funds (5 CSR 30-261.040 (8) (A) 4).

Should a district always code all eligible administrative costs to transportation?

Since administrative costs are indirect a district may want to review these expenses each year to see what effect coding the prorated portion as transportation expenses has on the district’s cost factor.

What effect do administrative costs have on efficiency?

Administrative costs increase allowable costs that could increase the district’s transportation reimbursement; however, administrative costs could also make a district more inefficient thereby incurring or increasing a penalty for inefficiency.

What effect do ineligible miles have on efficiency?

Ineligible miles are part of the Calculation for State Transportation Aid, Line 35, cost per mile calculation.  The more miles there are, eligible or ineligible, the lower the cost per mile, and the more efficient the district appears.

What effect do ineligible miles have on the state transportation aid calculation?

The Calculation for State Transportation Aid, Line 36, backs out the cost for ineligible miles by only multiplying the cost per mile (Line 35) by the eligible miles (Line 29).

What is the "no appreciable cost" rule?

A local board of education can decide to transport students that live less than one mile from school.  If the district chooses to use the "no appreciable cost" allowance, and does not want to incur a financial penalty, the students must be transported at no additional cost which means the route cannot detour from the regular route nor can space be created for these students (5 CSR 30-261.040 (4)(B)). 

What is it “costing” the district in eligible costs to transport students living less than one mile from school?

The “cost” of transporting students less than one mile from school is the difference between Line 34 and Line 36 (if any) on the Calculation for State Transportation Aid.

What weight does mileage carry in the transportation calculation? What happens when the mileage increases or decreases?

Mileage carries almost three times as much weight as the allowable cost or the ridership.  The district’s calculation is based on a per mile reimbursement.  If the mileage increases the cost per mile drops which has a positive impact on the district’s cost factor.  If the mileage drops, the cost per mile increases which has a negative impact on the district’s cost factor. 

A change in the cost factor doesn’t always mean there will be a change in the entitlement; refer to the Calculation for State Transportation Aid, Line 48.

Why is it important to code students with disabilities route costs as students with disabilities transportation expenditures?

Always separating the direct students with disabilities costs such as the students with disabilities route bus drivers’ and bus aides’ salaries and benefits, fuel, and supplies, and prorating  “global” expenses such as administrator’s salary and benefits, support staff’s salary and benefits, mechanic’s salary and benefits, utilities, insurance, facility operational costs and coding them as students with disabilities transportation expenditures gives a true picture of the cost of non-disabled transportation expenses versus students with disabilities transportation expenses. 

Properly coding students with disabilities transportation expenses will have a positive effect on the district’s non-disabled transportation efficiency rating.  Students with disabilities route costs do not have the efficiency adjustment applied to them, therefore, the entitlement is always calculated at the 75% maximum.

What effect does ridership have on the formula?

Ridership only affects the efficiency rating (see the Calculation for State Transportation Aid, Lines 40 and 41).  If a district’s cost factor is 104.00% or below, increasing ridership has no effect on the district’s transportation funding.

What effect does school bus and facility depreciation have on the calculation?

School buses and transportation facilities are placed on depreciation schedules and the depreciation is added to the district’s transportation allowable costs (Calculation for State Transportation Aid, Line 22).

What effect do school bus payments (Object Code 6552) have on the calculation?

School bus payments have no effect on the calculation for state transportation aid since school bus payments (Object Code 6552) are subtracted out of the allowable costs and are replaced by the districts yearly depreciation total.

What effect does revenue received from the sale of a bus (Revenue Code 5641) have on the calculation?

The amount received from the sale of a bus is subtracted from the district’s total depreciation for the year.

Are employee benefits an allowable cost?

Yes, any benefits approved by public school district board of education action as necessary to recruit and retain qualified school bus drivers are allowable; however, as a school board considers adding benefits, the effect of the increase to the allowable costs on the cost factor should be considered (5 CSR 30-261.040 (1)(B)).

Where is data for Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) Transportation reported?

No ECSE ridership or mileage data is reported on the Application for State Transportation Aid.  ECSE transportation expenditures should be coded to Function Code 2559 within the ASBR.

What is the definition of a school bus operator?

A school bus operator is an individual who operates a school bus in the transportation of school children and who receives compensation for such service (302.010, RSMo).

When must school bus drivers have a physical?

School bus drivers must have a physical examination biennially (162.064, RSMO and 5 CSR 30-261.010).

Who must have a DOT physical?

Drivers who are employed with a contractor that drive more than home-school-home routes are required, by federal regulation, to have DOT physicals; however, local school district and/or contractor policy may require DOT physicals for other drivers.

Who can perform a school bus driver physical?

Anyone who is licensed in Missouri to perform physical examinations can perform a school bus driver physical (5 CSR 30-261.040).

What do I need to be a school bus operator?

No person shall operate any school bus owned by or under contract with a public school or the state board of education unless such driver has qualified for a school bus (S) endorsement and complied with the pertinent rules and regulations of the Department of Revenue.  A school bus operator must have successfully passed an examination for the operation of a school bus as prescribed by the director of revenue.  The examination shall include, but need not be limited to, a written skills examination of applicable laws, rules and procedures, and a driving test in the type of vehicle to be operated (302.272, RSMo).

When is a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) required?

When driving a vehicle capable of transporting 16 or more including the driver (Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986).

When is a Class E (For-Hire) driver’s license required?

A Class E driver’s license is required when contracted with or employed with a school district to provide transportation services in a vehicle that transports less than 16 including the driver (Department of Revenue).  A school bus (S) endorsement is also required on the Class E license.

How do I obtain a school bus (S) endorsement?

To obtain a school bus endorsement, you must:

  1. Pass the knowledge and skills test for obtaining a CDL with passenger (P) endorsement (for vehicles that transport 16 or more including the driver) or a Class E (For Hire) license for vehicles that transport 15 or less including the driver.
  2. Pass a knowledge test for an S endorsement.
  3. Pass a driving skills test in a school bus of the same vehicle group as the school bus applicant will drive.
  4. Take your written and skills test results to the local license bureau to apply for a new CDL or Class E license with an S endorsement.
  5. Meet driving history review requirements (completed at the time of application).
  6. Pay the applicable fees for a new license and the required fees for the written and/or skills test.

What do I need to renew my school bus (S) endorsement?

The S endorsement is part of the driver’s license process, when the license is renewed the S endorsement is also renewed (after a driving history is run by the local license bureau).

What if I employ a school bus driver over 70 years of age?

A driver who is over 70 years of age must renew their driver’s license annually and are required to submit proof of a school bus skills test to retain the S endorsement on their driver license at time of renewal. On renewal, these drivers are exempt from the pre-trip inspection portion of the skills test.

Do school district employees who are not hired to transport students need a school bus (S) endorsement?

The term “school bus operator” shall not include any person who transports school children as an incident to employment with a school district, such as a teacher, coach, administrator, secretary, school nurse, or janitor, unless such person is under contract with or employed by a school district as a school bus operator (Section 302.010, RSMo).  This exception is for one-time or emergency transportation of students and should not include staff that regularly transport students.

“School bus operators” and drivers of school buses that transport 16 or more including the driver are required to have an S endorsement.  All school bus operators must have the proper driver’s license for the vehicle they are operating.

What type of license do I need to drive a school bus?

A CDL w/passenger and S endorsement is needed for any driver of a vehicle that is 26,000 lbs or greater, a Class E with school bus (S) endorsement is needed for any driver of a vehicle that is less than 26,000 lbs. and who is compensated for transporting school children (302.010, RSMo).

Can a school district contract with a parent to provide student transportation?

A district may enter into a contract with a family member to transport their own children.  The contract must be stated in terms of reimbursement for mileage, not hourly, in an amount equal to or less than the current AAA mileage rate for a car to avoid the requirement that anyone paid to transport school children must have a Class E license with S endorsement. If the parent is paid a lump sum amount, an hourly wage, or more than the current AAA rating of the “average cost of operating a car” the parent is considered to be receiving pay for transporting school children.  In this case, the parent must have a Class E license with S endorsement.  The family would also be required to report any payments other than mileage as income to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service).

Parents must agree to be properly licensed and to provide transportation in a safe, inspected, insured, licensed vehicle (5 CSR 30-261.045).

Can a school district contract with an individual, who is not the parent, to transport students?

Yes, districts may enter into a written contract with individuals that agree to transport children in their private vehicles.  The contract must be stated in terms of reimbursement for mileage, not hourly, in an amount equal to or less than the current AAA rating of the “average cost of operating a car” to avoid the requirement that anyone compensated to transport school children must be licensed as a school bus operator.  If the individual is paid a lump sum amount, an hourly wage or more than the current AAA rating of the “average cost of operating a car” the individual is considered to be receiving compensation for transporting school children. In this case, the driver must have a Class E license with S endorsement.

These individuals must agree to be properly licensed and to provide transportation in a safe, inspected, insured, licensed vehicle (5 CSR 30-261.045).

Can a school district contract with a taxicab to transport students?

Yes, school districts may contract with a taxicab company to transport students; however, taxicab drivers paid to transport school children must have a Class E For-Hire driver’s license with an S endorsement.  The driver or firm should operate only under written contract with the school district and agree to meet all applicable state statutes and State Board of Education regulations for the transportation of students (5 CSR 30-261.045).

How many hours in a row can a bus driver operate a school bus?

A bus driver cannot drive a school bus for more than eight consecutive hours unless the driver stops operation of the bus for at least sixty minutes.  A bus driver cannot operate a school bus for more than twelve hours in a twenty-four hour period (5 CSR 30-261.010 (3)(A)18 and for bus contractors-all applicable DOT regulations).

What does a driver with an out-of-state license need to operate a school bus in Missouri?

If the driver currently holds an out-of-state CDL license, the driver must meet the requirements for the S endorsement in their state of record and obtain the S endorsement on their CDL to be eligible to drive a school bus for a Missouri school.

What training is required for Missouri school bus drivers?

On an annual basis, each school district shall provide training in at least eight hours of duration to each school bus driver employed by the school district or under contract with the school district including coaches, teachers, and sub drivers who hold a school bus endorsement.  Such training shall provide special instruction in school bus driving.

Effective February 2, 2022, the district is also required to provide Federal Entry Level Driver Training for any driver obtaining their CDL or making changes to their CDL (https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/eldt).

When should a fingerprint based criminal history check be run on a school bus driver?

The school district shall ensure that a fingerprint based criminal background check is conducted for all new school bus drivers.  The district may allow such drivers to operate buses pending the result of the criminal background check.  For bus drivers, the background check shall be conducted on drivers employed by the school district or employed by a pupil transportation company under contract with the school district (168.133, RSMo.) and coordinated through the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

Who retains the documentation on school bus driver physicals, criminal history background checks, training, and criminal history background checks?

The school district or school bus contractor should retain documentation for all school bus drivers' physical, criminal history background checks, 8 hours of annual training, applicable FMCSA entry level driver training, and the criminal history background check results (162.065, RSMo).

How often do I renew my driver’s license and/or school bus endorsement?

The school bus endorsement renews with the driver’s license on the normal renewal cycle of every 6 years for drivers under 70 and annually for drivers over 70.

As a new employee, what do I need for my first day?

  •   You will need to meet with the Human Resources office to complete your employee paperwork.
  •   You will need to make sure you have submitted a department employment application and college transcripts.
  •   I-9 Information for the Employment Eligibility Verification form.  A driver’s license, social security card, passport or appropriate visa. The department is unable to sponsor applicants in their application for work visas through INS.

Do you keep resumes/applications on file?

  •   No, we do not keep resumes/applications on file.  It is necessary for you submit a
      new resume/application for each vacancy you apply for.

How often are DESE employees paid?

  •   Department employees are paid bi-monthly on the 15th and the last working 
      day of the month.

How often do we advertise vacancies?

  •  The department advertises vacancies at the end of each week.  The vacancy website
      is updated on Mondays.

If I am currently a state employee that is transferring to DESE, how much annual leave may I transfer?

  • The department accepts the amount of annual leave the employee is eligible to accrue in one (1) year.

What benefits do you offer?

  •   Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
  •   Cafeteria Plan
  •   Deferred Compensation Plan
  •   Health Insurance
  •   Dental Insurance
  •   Vision Insurance
  •   Life Insurance
  •   Missouri State Employees Retirement System (MOSERS)
  •   12 Paid Holidays
  •   Sick and Vacation Leave
  •   Shared Leave Program

What is the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)?

  •   The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) is the administrative arm of the State Board of Education. It is primarily a service agency that works with educators, legislators, government agencies and citizens to maintain a strong public education system. Through its statewide school improvement initiatives and regulatory functions, DESE strives to assure that all citizens have access to high-quality public education.

What is the difference between merit and non-merit positions?

  •   The primary difference is the selection process. Merit divisions must fill positions by   
      using registers provided to them by the Office of Administration. Non-merit divisions 
      do not work through the Office of Administration when filling positions. Some small 
      differences also exist in the types of Personnel Advisory appeal rights employee's 
      have. Classification, pay and time/leave issues are the same in both merit and non-
      merit divisions.

What is the process once I submit my resume/application?

  • After your resume/application is submitted through our online application system, the hiring committee reviews each resume/application to determine if the applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the position. The committee then selects individuals for interviews. Applicants are then called to schedule an interview. Once a finalist is selected, approval from the division administrator is needed before an offer is made.

What is the timetable for this process?

  •   The timetable for this process depends on the hiring committee’s schedule in order 
      to review and schedule interviews. 

Who reviews my resume/application and who will interview me?

  •   You may contact Human Resources at 573-751-9619. 

Age Requirements for Kindergarten and First Grade Entry

Section 160.053, RSMo, states that:

  • A child is eligible for admission to kindergarten if the child reaches the age of five (5) before the first day of August of the school year beginning in that calendar year. 
  • A child is eligible for admission to kindergarten/first grade if the child is a military dependent and has successfully completed an accredited prekindergarten program or has attended an accredited kindergarten program in another state.
  • A child who reaches the age of five (5) prior to the cut-off date is eligible for admission to the summer school session immediately preceding kindergarten.
  • A child is eligible for admission to first grade if the child reaches the age of six (6) before the first day of August of the school year beginning in that calendar year.
  • "Any child who completes the kindergarten year shall not be required to meet the age requirements of a district for entrance into grade one."  This law does not specify the type of kindergarten program that must be completed prior to promotion to the first grade.  Most school districts accept successful completion of kindergarten at any accredited public, private or parochial school as sufficient basis for promotion to the first grade.  A child transferring from an unaccredited school, such as a home school, may be subject to additional evaluation to determine promotion. 


  • Pursuant to statutes 160.054 and 160.055, RSMo, the St. Louis and Kansas City School Districts may establish a later kindergarten/first grade entry date.
  • A school may enroll a transfer student that has attended kindergarten or first grade in another state with a different entry age date on the theory of giving "full faith and credit" to the other states' entry age law. 
  • Parents seeking information regarding exceptions to kindergarten/first grade enrollment should contact the school district in which they intend to enroll their child.  

Certificates Required for Each Course or Grade Taught, Course Names, Course Code and Course Abbreviations (Includes information on middle school certification)

The Certificate Required for Each Course or Grade Taught, Along with Course Names, Course Codes and Course Abbreviations

This information provides a list of classes by course code, course name, abbreviation for the course and the certificate required to teach the course.  All certification must be for the proper grade level unless it specifies otherwise in the certificate required column.  The above information is available in Exhibit 10 of the 2003-2004 Core Data Manual.  Certification requirements for the middle grades are found below.  

Middle School Teaching Certificates

The following information is taken from a memorandum issued by Commissioner Robert E. Bartman in January 1995.  The information is still valid and provides clarification for middle school certification.


K-8 Elementary Certificate

Individuals holding K-8 or 1-8 elementary certificates may teach in all core areas in grades 5 and 6 in either   self-contained or departmentalized middle school programs.  They may also teach departmentalized classes in English, social studies, developmental classes in English, social studies, developmental reading, computer literacy, basic skills, and at-risk classes in grades 5-8.  Individuals holding K-8 or 1-8 elementary certificates are not eligible to teach departmentalized classes in math or science at the 7-8 grade levels.

4-8 Middle School Certificate

these are subject area specific certificates.  Individuals holding these certificates may teach in departmentalized programs in their subject area(s) only--Language Arts, social studies, mathematics, science.

7-9/7-12 Secondary Certificate

Individuals holding subject area specific certificates including those in fine arts, practical arts, vocational and physical education may teach in their subject area(s) in departmentalized programs to students in grades 5-9.

Guidance and Counseling

Individuals holding a 7-12 guidance certificate may provide counseling services to students in grades 5-12.  Individuals holding a K-8 guidance certificate may provide counseling services to students in grades K-8.


Individuals holding either an elementary or secondary principal's certificate may serve in the position of middle school principal regardless of the grade arrangement--6-8, 5-8, 4-8, 4-7, etc.

Grade Level Expansion

Individuals holding K-8, 1-8, 4-8, 7-9, or 7-12 certificates who desire a grade level expansion to their certificate must document completion of the minimum of eight (8) semester hours in approved areas of middle school psychology, curriculum/instruction and philosophy/organization and obtain an approved institutional recommendation.

September 1, 1997

Middle school teachers certificated after September 1, 1997, must hold a middle school certificate appropriate to their subject area and grade level assignment.

Who may teach the half-unit course in health required in the high school graduation requirements?

In 2005, the State Board of Education adopted new requirements for all students who graduate from public high schools in Missouri.  One of those requirements includes a half-unit course in health education.  Any person with a valid Missouri teaching certificate in Health Education or Family and Consumer Sciences education may teach the required health education.

What course code do I use for reporting this for Core Data?

The course code  to use is 096840. See Core Data Manual Pages 312-314.  Core Data Reporting 

There are different core data numbers for Career Development in Family and Consumer Sciences and Career Development/Entrepreneurship. What is the difference between these two courses?

A student competency list for a high school level semester course in Career Development/Entrepreneurship was developed in the 2000-01 school year and is located on the Curriculum & Resources page. This course includes career exploration/development concepts while focusing on entrepreneurship education. 

Career Development in Family and Consumer Sciences is a course (high school or middle level) that provides instruction in career development/exploration.  Student competencies have not been identified on the state level for this course.

If you have questions about core data reporting, please contact the state office.

Who decides when and where the Missouri ACTE conference will be held?

According to Missouri ACTE policy, the conference is held annually on the last full week of the month of July.  The Missouri ACTE Board of Directors, made of representatives of all the divisions of Missouri ACTE, determines the location of the conference on recommendation of its Program Improvement Committee.

Every two years, the Missouri ACTE Board sends out Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) to all Convention and Visitor Bureaus in the state. The proposals submitted in response to the RFP provide Missouri ACTE with information about available hotels, sleeping room and meeting space, and conference rates for each division of Missouri ACTE.

The Missouri ACTE Program Improvement Committee reviews all submitted proposals and makes recommendations to the Missouri ACTE Board of Directors as to the location that will provide accommodations for a high quality conference at the best value for all divisions of the organization. The Missouri ACTE Board votes and awards a two-year contract.

Where can I obtain the latest revisions to the guidance curriculum?

The guidance and counseling curriculum lessons were last revised in 2008.  The curriculum lessons, as well as GLEs and unit and lesson templates can be found at the Guidance e-Learning Center.  The Guidance e-Learning Center is the repository for all online guidance and counseling resources. It is highly recommended that this site be bookmarked for future reference.

Are the Missouri Comprehensive Guidance Manual and Comprehensive Guidance Kits (1998 edition, also known as “The Box”) available for purchase?

"The Box" is no longer available for purchase.  Many of the lessons in the box are in the process of being converted electronically with the goal of having them available on the Guidance e-Learning Center. When the lessons are available, word will be sent out via the Guidance Digest Distribution Lists.

Why is a needs assessment necessary and what are the procedures to follow in order to obtain appropriate information?

A curriculum planning survey should be conducted on a schedule that is aligned to the district's regular curriculum review schedule.

The curriculum planning survey provides information for program planning, information that can be shared with policymakers in order to ensure program support, a basis for the selection of goals and teaching units that address the three content areas, and another means for interacting with students, staff and parents.

Because student enrollments by district vary widely in Missouri, it is recommended that the needs survey be administered to a locally determined representative sample of students in grades 3-12, faculty/staff, and parents so that reliable information on which to base revisions of the guidance curriculum can be obtained. That information can, in turn, be used to determine how to meet both the assessed needs of the students and the objectives of the comprehensive guidance and counseling program.

Who is qualified to administer individual psychological/educational tests?

There are no specific statutes that clearly define what courses/number of courses would constitute someone being fully qualified to administer individual psychological/educational tests.

Proper administration and interpretation of such tests would include the expertise to administer, score, interpret and integrate test results with observation of behaviors and other information about the student to make appropriate recommendations for intervention.

In addition to qualification guidelines contained in most test manuals, several professional organizations and Federal regulations have addressed this issue and are referenced below.

Counselors and other school professionals will vary in their abilities to administer individual psychological and educational tests based on their educational background and their experience.

As such, the decision must rest in the hands of the local district, relying on the expertise and experience of the school professional, and on the ethical guidelines established by appropriate professional organizations.

Interested parties may refer to ethical guidelines of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) at www.schoolcounselor.org and the qualifications guidelines in the manual of the tests being administered.

Additional References:

By training and experience the school psychologist and/or school psychological examiner is/are qualified to administer measures of cognitive ability, behavioral, and emotional development.  Other educational staff in your state’s public schools may also have the qualifications to administer these tests. 

Qualifications for test administration are determined by test publishers and are specified in the test manuals.  Other educational staff can assume responsibility for administering assessments in achievement and adaptive behavior.  They may also perform classroom observations.  Such staff may include special education teachers, school guidance counselors, remedial education teachers, classroom teachers, school nurses, and physical education teachers.

How can I obtain information about counselor certification?

For information regarding counselor certification, contact Educator Certification at (573) 751-0051.

What is the school counselor’s role in special education?

Special services is an issue that must be addressed directly when the counselor’s job description is defined.  For example, if Special Education funds a percentage of counselor’s time, then that percentage of time must be deducted from the counselor’s time and effort in carrying out the district's comprehensive guidance program.  If the counselor’s time is not funded by Special Education funds, counselor involvement beyond the scope of the district’s comprehensive guidance program will keep them from spending 100 percent of their time in the guidance program.  Since comprehensive guidance program is for all students, there are many activities that include students enrolled in or who are eligible for Special Services.

Among these activities are:
*Participating with a member of the diagnostic team when counseling activities may be required
*Consulting with parents
*Conducting small group and individual guidance and counseling activities
*Conducting in-service training on topics such as team participation, skill or parenting conferencing techniques.

If there are any other questions, do not hesitate to call Guidance and Counseling Services at (573) 751-4383

How can I obtain information about mentoring for new counselors?

Contact Bragg Stanley, Director,Guidance and Counseling Services at (573) 751-4383 or e-mail: bragg.stanley@dese.mo.gov

I am working on the October MOSIS Cycle. I need to know if we are to show an enrollment for our primary and intermediate librarians. In the past, we have not shown an enrollment for librarians, but all of our classes in primary and intermediate do spen

For now just use the 884600 Elementary Librarian code. 

For the October cycle if a teacher/librarian is marked as having 500 students in enrollment, what would need to be reported for the students? Or do we report the librarians the same as last year...just reporting the number of total minutes on one line?

Normally librarians do not report enrollment. 

Last year our policy was that HS students were promoted based on credits earned. Our June MOSIS report shows a large number of students retained in 9th grade. Over the summer we switched Student Information systems and the tech person promoted everyone, r

Ideally you would revise the June MOSIS report to reflect the grade students are in this year.

When students change from full-time to part-time during the school year do I withdraw them as full-time and re-enroll them as part-time? Or do I just indicate the new status on their student info record?

Ideally you would withdrawn them as full-time and re-enroll them as part-time.

We have a fee based preschool program. We require the teachers to hold Pre-K certification. Since this is a fee based program is it necessary for us to report these teachers and students.

We request that all preschool programs be reported. 

Who is considered an educator? Is this district staff that are involved with teaching? Are principals submitted if they don't teach a class? How about school secretaries, counselors, etc... ?

All staff found in Exhibit 3 of the Core Data Manual.

I was under the assumption that there would be a row for each educator per school in this file. However, what is confusing me are the "Late Start Date", "Early End Date" and "Course Comment" fields. These seem to indicate that there should be a row per co

The dates in this file actually refer to late start and early end of positions/schools not the courses for the position or school. The comment is a single field to include comments for all courses related to that position/school.

Is the CTE Program Type an educator field or a course field? Can an educator have more than one Program Type Code per school?

They can have more than one Ed School record with different CTE Program Types.  See the key chart in our October PowerPoint.

Do you need a history of teachers who are assigned to sections? For instance, Mrs. Smith was assigned to teach Alg 1 from 8/1/08 – 9/1/08 when she retired. Then Mr. Jones was assigned the section 9/1/08 – end of year. Do I need to return a row for Mrs.

Yes a history of teachers who are assigned to sections should be reported.

Should I report the primary teacher only for sections or do all staff members associated with the section get reported? For example, do resource teachers get reported?

All assignments of all educators are reported (including resource teachers).

We are taking a look at our secondary schedules in preparation for the October cycle, we have a class the is like a study hall (Academic Support) that is taught by an Instructional Assistant. How will that effect the October Cycle? We are going to try and

All classes for which student attendance is reported must be supervised by a certificated teacher.

When you say submit every student for a cycle, is this a correct definition for "every student": All students in attendance on the last day of the 2006-07 school year PLUS new students registered in the district before or during the 2007-08 school year.


When will the federal government accept biracial as an ethnic group?

We will be changing to new racial codes over the next 3 years.

Is Migrant Status required for February Cycle?

Yes, Migrant is currently marked as required for February.

Please explain the code "C" in the file layout.

C means it is conditional.  There will be a rule that states when it is required or if it is required to be null or some specific value.

What if school was out the last day in January for a snow day?

That is still the count date, the students who are enrolled on that day are counted.  If the student was enrolled at the end of the previous school day they would still be enrolled on the count day.

Will the high school also be reporting what Area Career Center they attended?

The high school does report the Area Career center.  CTE attending district code and school code are the fields for that.

What if a graduate had more than 1 CIP and Program Type code?

When reporting you select which Program Type and select which CIP code.  A student can only be reported once.

Do adults need a MOSIS number?

Adults do need MOSIS IDs.  We now have a grade level field "AD" for them.

Do the CTE Codes come from the high school they attended or the career center they attended?

Generally the CTE center should tell the high school what CTE code should be used.

On CTE Attending District Code, the students were enrolled here and attended here half day and were at VoTec school the other half of the day. Would the CTE attending district be the VoTec district code?

Yes the CTE code would be the Vo Tech.

Who is considered an adult?

Adults are those enrolled in a 500+ clock hour program at an Area Career Center where they would earn an industrial recognized certificate. Adults are those attending a CTE program that ends in 10, such as 0110, 0210, 0410.

Does IEP/Disabled include the 504 students?

No, IEP/Disabled do not include 504 students.

How are students with disabilities reported on the MOSIS December Student Core?

For the December Student Core File, you must must mark “Enrolled on count date” for students who had an IEP & were receiving services on December 1.

What does the Enrolled on Count Date mean?

The definition varies by cycle, but for December it indicates the student has an IEP/services plan and was receiving services on December 1

We have students who attend the Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled, Missouri School for the Blind or Missouri School for the Deaf. How do we report these students on the MOSIS December file?

You will not report these students on the MOSIS December File. These students are reported by the Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled, Missouri School for the Blind or Missouri School for the Deaf.

Do I have to report testing (193100) and case management of IEPs (198600) if teachers do it during their plan time and/or before and after school?

Testing and case management only need to be reported as separate assignments if minutes are dedicated to those functions.  Therefore, if testing or case management of IEPs is done during plan time, before/after school or on an as needed basis, no assignment is needed.

How do I report paraprofessionals/aides?

Special Education aides or paraprofessionals (K-12) can be reported using the appropriate teaching code (most likely 195000 or 195010).  In order for ECSE aides to be pulled over to the ECSE expenditure report, the aides must be coded with 195400 (ECSE). 

Personal Aides are reported as Delivery System PA with the appropriate Course Code (usually 195000).  Minutes/Week should reflect the minutes per week for each course code. Other line information should reflect the student to whom they are assigned, i.e. Grade Level and Program Code. 


How do I report special education teachers who co-teach with a general education teacher?

Report the special education teacher with the appropriate special education course code (begins with 19), delivery system of CO and a caseload number reflecting the number of students with disabilities in the co-taught classroom.  Report the general education teacher with the appropriate general education course code and student assignment listing which includes all students in the class.  The general education teacher should NOT use the CO delivery system.

Are we required to report ECSE personnel?

Yes, you need to report ECSE personnel on MOSIS October Cycle because the data are used for the ECSE Expenditure Report. Most ECSE teachers will be reported using course code 195400 with a program code of 17 (3 yr, 4 yr, 5 Pre-K).

How do I report speech implementers?

Use course code 195500 (Speech/Language) and position code 60 (teacher).

How and when should consultation be reported?

a)  Consultation time with other teachers that is written into IEPs and is student directed is reported as course number 193000 – Consultation.  This time would most likely be in the IEP under Supplemental Aides and Services or as Support for School Personnel.

b)  Consultation time that is used for collaboration for co-teaching purposes would most likely be reported as Plan Time.

c)  Incidental consultation (daily/on-going) would not be reported separately.  This time would most likely be included with other minutes already reported.

d)  Consultation time with special education students would be reported using a direct service/instruction course number.

What delivery systems should be used for special education teachers and aides?

Codes and definitions are in Exhibit 14 of the Core Data Manual.  Appropriate delivery systems for special education teachers and aides include:

  • CO – Co-teaching
  • IG – Individual/Small Group
  • SC – Self-Contained
  • LI – Low Incidence Self-Contained
  • PA – Personal Aide (Position Code 80 only)
  • IN – Integrated ECSE classroom

How do we report educators who are employed by one district (fiscal agent) but who work in another district (participating district)?

A:  The educator will be reported by both the fiscal agent district and the participating district in the following manner:

  • Fiscal Agent District: 
    • MOSIS Educator Core File:  Report educator information, including salary
    • MOSIS Educator School File:  Report educator/school information, including salary and FTE
    • MOSIS Educator Assignment:  Report educator/school/assignment information, using the Program Code 09.  Generally use the appropriate special education assignment code, but the generic 880010 (Contracted Services) code may be used.
    • MOSIS Student Assignment: Would generally not have any student assignments to attach to an assignment with Program Code 09
  • Participating District:
    • MOSIS Educator Core File:  Report educator information, showing $0 salary.  Report the fiscal agent county/district code in the Fiscal Agent field
    • MOSIS Educator School File:  Report educator/school information, showing 0 FTE and $0 salary
    • MOSIS Educator Assignment:  Report educator/school/assignment information, using the Program Code 19.  Use the appropriate special education assignment code
    • MOSIS Student Assignment: Report the student assignment lists for educator assignments, as appropriate

Do we need to report contracted personnel and, if so, how do we report personnel that we contract with to provide special education or related services?

Yes, all personnel providing special education or related services to students with disabilities must be reported.  Report individuals with whom you contract using Program Code 19.  These personnel would not have FTE or salary information reported.  Use the appropriate special education assignment code(s) and report the appropriate minutes for each assignment.

Should I report a student who has left the district to be home-schooled?

Yes, students who leave the district and transfer to a home school or private/parochial school should be reported using the appropriate exit codes in the MOSIS Student Enrollment and Attendance file (see MOSIS Exit_Codes code set).

Which exit categories constitute a dropout?

Any of the exit codes used in the MOSIS Student Enrollment and Attendance file that start with “D” are considered dropout codes.  In short, any student who leaves secondary school (excluding transfers to another district) without graduating with a regular diploma is considered a dropout.   

Should I report a student that exited during the summer and thus did not return to school in the fall?

Report the student status as of the end of the year, so if the students haven't transferred yet, you would report them in the Student Enrollment and Attendance File as Remained-Advanced.  If they then move over the summer, you would report them as entering and exiting the district on the first day of school in the fall.

Why wasn’t Missouri approved with the first group of round two states?

As part of the waiver application process, the U.S. Department of Education wants to ensure that all students would be supported under one state system of accountability. The Missouri School Improvement Program (MSIP) has a 20-year history of setting high standards for our students. Missouri's program was unfamiliar to the U.S. Department of Education; therefore, Missouri needed to provide further explanation and clarification of its system. It’s important to note that MSIP 5 and the Educator Evaluation System pilot have been in the works for several years – long before applying for the waiver.

When did the Missouri Option Program begin in Missouri?

In 2002 the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education initiated the Missouri Option Program. The program is approved by the Missouri State Board of Education.

The Missouri Option Program has been utilized by approximately half of Missouri’s Local Education Agencies (LEAs) as an effective means to positively impact the retention of students, lower dropout rates and increase the number of students who are prepared for postsecondary education opportunities or to enter the workforce.

What is the Missouri Option Program?

The Missouri Option Program is designed to serve students who lack the credits necessary to graduate with their class and are at risk of leaving school without a high school diploma. The program specifically targets those students who are 17 to 20 years of age and are at least one year behind their cohort group or for other significant reasons identified in the local Missouri Option Program plan.

Graduation through the Missouri Option Program is not dependent on Carnegie credit attainment. It is a competency-based program approved by the State School Board that utilizes a high school equivalency exam as mastery for graduation purposes. The HiSET is the exam sanctioned by the state for the Missouri Option program and is developed and distributed by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Missouri Option students who successfully pass the exam and complete all other program requirements are eligible to receive a high school diploma.

Note: A credential that includes the word "diploma" will be awarded. The LEA issues a "regular"
High School Diploma (the same as awarded to all students by local boards of education).

How does the Missouri Option Program benefit a student?

Ongoing academic/career advisement will be provided by the Missouri Option Program instructor(s), with supplemental guidance and counseling provided, as needed. Students will have access to all educational programs and services available in the LEA, receive valuable academic and life-skills instruction, earn a high school diploma, and upon successful completion of program requirements are eligible to participate in commencement ceremonies.

What is required of Missouri Option Program students?

Students must participate in a minimum of 15 hours of academic instruction per week. Students must also be enrolled in other school-supervised instructional activities (career education courses, elective classes, work experience, etc.) that lead to the student's classification by the LEA as a full-time student. The LEA should provide a level and quality of education that ensures the integrity of the Missouri Option Program and locally issued high school diploma.

Local Education Agencies may have additional requirements when issuing a regular high school diploma that is consistent with what is required of all students. Missouri Option students must take the required EOC's – Algebra I (or Algebra II if Algebra was taken prior to high school), English II, Biology and American Government. State law also requires that all graduate candidates take a course in government and the functions of government and pass the required tests related to the U.S. and Missouri Constitutions. Participants must also complete a half unit course in Personal Finance and Health.

If a student takes the HiSET, what documentation will the LEA receive from the state verifying the students results?

The HiSET tests are designed to measure the major academic skills and knowledge associated with a high school program of study. Students enrolled in the Missouri Option Program take (and must pass) the HiSET tests in order to demonstrate and document the attainment of high school-level skills. The HiSET Score Report is one of the academic components required for the awarding of a high school diploma by the local education agency, and as such, is placed in the student's permanent record.

What happens if a student fails to complete the Missouri Option Program?

Occasionally, a student fails to complete all of the program requirements necessary to be awarded a diploma. In these instances, the passing scores on the HiSET belong to the student and the LEA should provide guidance to students on how to obtain their Missouri High School Equivalency Certificate.

What are the requirements for the faculty in the Missouri Option Program?

Teachers working in this program must have a valid Missouri teaching certificate in any content area or in Adult Education and Literacy (AEL).

Are specific funds available to support the Missouri Option Program?

No. The Missouri Option Program is not a grant program. However, LEAs do receive state aid for attendance of participating students.

How do schools or school districts "sign up" for the Missouri Option Program?

Click on the link below and follow the directions to sign up.  For more information, contact the Missouri Option Office at 573-751-3190 or 573-751-4426 or desemooption@dese.mo.gov.

What is a sheltered workshop?

Missouri sheltered workshops are different from shops in many other states, because they depend heavily on contracted work and the revenue from that work to maintain operations.  They are actually small businesses who hire individuals with disabilities. On the average, a workshop’s contract revenue account for 70-80% of workshop revenue, government assistance 10-24%, and the balance from other grants.  Because of the dependency on contract revenue, Missouri workshops readily respond to customer needs relating to quality, and turn-around time.  Jobs performed include packaging (bagging, shrink wrapping, blister packaging, skin packaging, boxing), assembly (simple to complex), marketing and public relations services (collating, stuffing, and sorting mailings),  products (pallets, wire spools, first aid kits, poultry watering systems, office products, furniture items, etc.). Services are also provided by workshops including, janitorial work, grounds maintenance, commercial laundry operations, microfilming, to mention a few.  Workshops also provide work crews that work in customer facilities.

How are workshops run?

Each workshop is a private not-for-profit corporation overseen by a volunteer board of directors. Board members include local business people, educators, lawyers, accountants, and family members of employees.  The board outlines the general course for a given shop and hires an operational manager for the day to day operations.

How are people paid?

Each workshop has a special certificate from the Department of Labor that allows it to pay sub-minimum wages.  Workshop employees are paid based on their ability to perform in relation to the performance of a person without a disability.  If an employee produces 50% of what a non-disabled person produces, then they receive 50% of what that person is paid (i.e., if the prevailing wage for that job is $8 per hour, the employee receives $4.00 per hour).  These procedures are checked frequently by the Department of Labor.

Because workshops pay less, can they do work for less?

No, not necessarily.  Workshops do not receive the same production per hour as a business hiring non-disabled would receive.  For example, in the comparison above a person that works at the 50% level takes 2 hours to produce what a non-disabled person would produce in 1 hour, so the cost for the same amount of work is still $8, no matter who is doing the work.  Overhead costs may actually be higher for workshops than normal businesses because of the increased supervision needed.  Workshops must depend on quality, flexibility, and a large workforce to sell their services.  What workshops can offer for their customers is a dependable workforce without the headaches of personnel management.

How do workshops obtain business?

Some workshops have their own sales representative(s) who call on local businesses to make them aware of the services the workshop can provide.  Other workshops have joined together in cooperative arrangements to share sales people, and still others depend on the manager to do the sales work.  Much of a workshops business is repeat business, or word of mouth, from satisfied customers.

How many people with disabilities are employed in workshops?

There are 93 workshop corporations located around the state of Missouri.  These shops provide employment for approximately 7500 people with disabilities and approximately 900 non-disabled staff.

What kind of disabilities do workshop employees have?

The majority of workshop employees have been diagnosed with mental retardation or other developmental disabilities.  Other common disabilities include mental illness, head injury, blindness, deafness, seizure disorders, and physical disabilities.  Prior to being hired for employment in the workshop, people must be assessed by the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to determine whether or not they are capable of working in a competitive environment at this time.  If the Rehabilitation counselor determines they cannot work competitively at this time, he/she will certify them for employment in the workshop.

What role does the state play in the operation of the workshops?

Other than the fact that the state (Department of Elementary and Secondary Education) provides some funding, and regulations and guidelines for the establishment and operation of sheltered workshops, and some technical assistance when requested, it's role is minor in the day to day operation of the shops.

What do the workshops do for the community?

Besides the obvious, providing employment, especially for people with disabilities, workshops also put money back into the community.  Payroll, purchase of goods and services, and participation in community affairs are a couple of ways that workshops contribute to the community.  Last year (FY09), Missouri workshops paid approximately $80,000,000 back into their communities, providing a significant contribution to the commerce of those communities.

What can a workshop do for your business?

Workshops can provide a ready and capable workforce, production space, equipment, and transportation of product. Some businesses turn over their entire operations, from receipt of inventory to customer shipping, to the workshop. This provides definite benefits to those businesses in that they are able to concentrate on selling, and not be burdened with a lot of issues like facilities, personnel, overhead burdens (utilities, insurance, etc.). Can one of Missouri’s shops help your business? Without a doubt they could. Contact Sheltered Workshop Section, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102. Call (573) 751-0622 or e-mailsesw@dese.mo.gov.

What are the placement options for ECSE students?

State regulations list several placement options for preschool children.

Early Childhood Setting. Children with disabilities who receive all of their special education and related services in educational programs designed primarily for children without disabilities.  No education or related services are provided in separate special education settings.

Some characteristics/examples of the above setting are:

  • Designed for children without disabilities

  • The special education teacher and or/therapist travel to the child and provide the services in the integrated setting (The child is not pulled from the classroom for the special education and related services.)

  • Daycare (Public or Private [not parochial])

  • Preschool (Public or Private [not parochial])

  • Head start

  • Home/early childhood combinations

  • May be a collaborative program this is designed for children without disabilities, where the ratio of children without IEPs is equal to or higher than that of children with IEPs.  These classrooms could be team-taught or taught by one teacher who has a split position.  Examples of these combined programs include:

  • Title I/ECSE classroom

  • District Early Childhood/ECSE classroom

  • Headstart/ECSE classroom

  • Missouri Preschool Project (MPP)/ECSE classroom

Early Childhood Special Education Setting. Children with disabilities who receive all of their special education and related services in educational programs designed primarily for children with disabilities housed in regular school buildings or other community-based settings.  No special education or related services as designated by an IEP are provided in an early childhood setting.

Some characteristics/examples of this setting are:

  • Designed for children with disabilities

  • Centerbased/self-contained

  • Integrated ECSE (formerly reverse mainstream)

  • Special education classrooms in trailers outside regular school building

Home. Children with disabilities who receive all of their special education and related services in the principal residence of the child’s family or caregivers. 

Some characteristics/examples of this setting are:

  • Child's home

  • Foster home

  • Extended family's home (grandparent, aunt, etc.)

Part Time EC/Part time ECSE setting. Children with disabilities who receive all of their special education and related services in multiple settings, such that: (1) general and/or special education and related services are provided at home or in educational programs designed primarily for children without disabilities AND (2) special education and related services are provided in programs designed primarily for children with disabilities.

Some characteristics/examples of this setting are:

  • Services are provided in two different placements

  • Home  + Itinerant Service Outside the Home

  • Home + ECSE

  • Early Childhood Setting + Itinerant Service Outside the Home

  • Early Childhood Setting + ECSE

Residential Facility. Children with disabilities who receive all of their special education and related services in publicly or privately operated residential schools or residential medical facilities on an inpatient basis. 

Note:  Only use this option when the IEP team has determined that the child needs to be placed in a residential facility in order to receive FAPE, not because the child is already placed in a residential facility by another agency or because the location for the provision of services is located such a distance from the child’s home that residing in the facility is necessary. In those cases, another placement option would be used, such as Home, EC, ECSE, or Separate School. 

Separate School. Children with disabilities who receive all of their special education and related services in educational programs in public or private day schools specifically for children with disabilities.

Itinerant Service Outside the Home. Children with disabilities who receive all of their special education and related services at a school, hospital facility on an outpatient basis, or other location for a short period of time (i.e., no more than 3 hours per week).  These services may be provided individually or to a small group of children.

This placement option would be used in the following instances:

  • The service is being provided at a location other than the child’s home

  • The child comes to the teacher (the service is being provided in a resource or non-school location, not in an integrated classroom setting)

  • The teacher or service provider goes to the child’s preschool/childcare setting, but provides services in a “pull-out” fashion—separating the child from children without disabilities

  • The service is being provided for a short period of time (3 hours or less per week)

  • The service is being provided to an individual child or a small group of children

Examples of this would be:

  • The child is receiving speech only services for 120 minutes per week.  The SLP goes to the child’s preschool, but provides the services one-on-one in a separate room

  • The child is receiving 60 minutes of speech and 120 minutes of OT per week.  For the speech, the child comes to the public school building, but receives the services in a small group in the speech resource room.  For the OT, the child goes to the local hospital’s rehabilitation clinic.

  • The child receives 30 minutes per week of specialized instruction in a small group pull-out setting and 15 minutes consultation is provided to the Early Childhood staff, at the child’s childcare center.

  • The child receives 60 minutes of ECSE teacher services weekly, pullout from Head Start, and 30 minutes consultative services from the SLP in a separate room at the Head Start, monthly with parent and Head Start staff present.

How can the LEA meet the federal and state requirements for LRE since all school districts do not make preschool or child care services available to all 3-5 year old children?

While the options for LEA early care and education programs have been increasing, not all school districts operate regular education preschools or childcare programs.  It was not the intent of the law that schools should be required to initiate those programs solely to satisfy the LRE requirements.  Districts need to be aware of and collaborate with Head Start and other non-parochial community preschool/childcare programs so that whenever appropriate, children can receive their special education and related services in Early Childhood settings.  In many cases children are already attending these settings and special education, related services, supplementary aids and services can appropriately be provided to the child in that location.  LEAs should also engage in ongoing short and long-range planning that leads to effective use of the itinerant/consultative approach to services.  Where district preschool/childcare programs are available, collaboration within the district is important to facilitate the collaboration and cooperation between the regular and special education programs to enhance the options for regular education placements.  Districts can also use Integrated ECSE (Reverse Mainstream) classrooms to provide a higher level of integration than a self contained classroom, however these classrooms are considered special education settings and they should be considered only after considering if an Early Childhood setting is appropriate.

If parents have enrolled their child in a preschool or daycare and the IEP team determines that their services will be provided there, does that obligate the district to pay for the preschool/daycare?

Not necessarily. The school is not obligated to pay tuition for any of the time involving itinerant services (pull out one-on-one or small group or consultation). The school is only obligated to pay tuition for the specific amount of time designated in the IEP for special education, related services and supplementary aids and services that are provided in the integrated setting. 

IEP teams need to carefully consider what special education, related service, supplementary aids, and service modifications and adjustments are necessary to address the IEP goals and objectives. While most people would agree that all children can benefit from pre-school experience, it is not the school’s responsibility to pay for these experiences with state or federal special education funds. These funds cover the cost of specialized instruction (above and beyond the curriculum and individualized instruction provided to all children in the class) related services, supplementary aids and services supports to school personnel, modifications and accommodations required by and documented on the child’s IEP.

For students who receive all or part of their services in a district center-based program, how does this affect placement and documentation of services on the IEP for an ECSE Child?

Districts are encouraged to look at all possible ways in which they can develop both effective and efficient programs to provide educational services to young children.  In the case where a district has established cooperative Early Childhood programs which serve both disabled and non-disabled children (i.e., Title I/ECSE), the same considerations and documentation on the IEPs of children with disabilities as was discussed in Questions 3.2 & 3.5 above would apply.   

When you document the extent of participation in regular education sections of the IEP, you are only addressing the period of the time the child received special education and related services-not the entire period of time the child might happen to be in an Early Childhood setting. Again, as in the answer to question 3.4, the team needs to carefully consider what special education, related services, supplementary aids and services modifications and adjustments, supports to school personnel are necessary to implement the IEP. (Over and above the instruction provided to all students in the class). 

If the child receives all his special education and related service in the cooperative Early Childhood classroom (not pull out), the placement is Early Childhood setting. If some of the special education, related services or supplementary aids and services are provided through pull-out and some are provided in the class room, the placement is part-time Early Childhood/part-time Early Childhood Special Education and the IEP must show documentation for the extent of and reason for the pull out services. 

It is important to remember that placement decisions are driven by the needs of the individual child as determined by the IEP and are not based upon how the district has chosen to administer their Early Childhood programs. State and federal regulations require that a range of placement options be available to provide for the Least Restrictive Environment needs of each child. 

For more information on effective instructional practices and funding of programs for children with disabilities, contact the Division of Special Education,

Effective Practices Section (573-751- 0187 or webreplyspeep@dese.mo.gov or the Funds Management sections at 573-751-0622 or webreplyspefm@dese.mo.gov.  For more information regarding documentation of placement for an ECSE child, contact the Compliance Section at 573-751-0699 or webreplyspeco@dese.mo.gov.

Where/how do you document regular education minutes on the IEP?

State and federal regulations no longer require that regular education minutes be documented on the IEP.  The extent of participation in regular education is now documented by indicating if the child will receive all of his special education services with non-disabled peers in a regular education setting. If not, documentation must show the extent of time the special education will not be provided in a regular education setting and the reasons why.

If an ECSE teacher is monitoring a child in a regular preschool, and the service is consultative, would the minutes be listed as 0?

NO.  Consultative services would be noted as follows: 

Consultation can be the special education service, if that is the only special education service provided.  

Sometimes, a student's specialized instruction can come from the regular education teacher who receives assistance through consultation from a special educator in order to provide the modifications, accommodations, or adaptation of the content, methodology, or delivery of instruction required in the student's IEP.  While the consultation time would not be direct services to the student, the IEP minutes for services would reflect the minutes in the instructional program directed by the IEP.  For example, the goals are addressed during sharing time and the student's IEP directs the time during that activity, then the minutes on the IEP for special education instruction will equal the minutes for sharing time or the portion of sharing time required to address the goal(s).  Additional services provided as consultation to the teacher and/or the student by the special educator would also be listed and designated as consultation for "X" number of minutes.  The minutes of services are not always direct instruction by a special educator.   

When consultation is not the only special education service, it is generally listed as supplementary aids and services. The regulations require that the amount of time, the frequency, the duration and the location be listed for supplementary aids and services.

Can a child go to kindergarten with a YCDD diagnosis?

It depends. If a district has adopted the policy to identify 3 to pre-K 5 year olds using the YCDD category and has also chosen to allow the continuation of that criteria for Kindergarten-age eligible children (age 5 by August 1), then for any children previously identified as ECSE/YCDD, the IEP team can choose to continue that non-categorical label until they are first-grade age eligible (age 6 by August 1).  It should be noted that, whatever the categorical label, once the child turns Kindergarten age eligible, ECSE grant funds may not be used to pay for the child’s services.

Can a kindergarten child receive services in ECSE?

Yes. If a child has been identified and served with ECSE services previously, the IEP team can choose to continue to provide ECSE services during the kindergarten year.  However, ECSE grant funds may not be used to pay for this placement.  This is not a change from previous regulation. IEP teams should carefully consider the issue of number of hours in an ECSE placement versus the number of hours a child in kindergarten in their district receives (half-day or full-day kindergartens). The IEP needs to document the appropriate child-related reason, if the hours are less. IEP teams also need to carefully review the issue of LRE in making the decision to continue another year of ECSE service, which typically means the kindergarten-aged child will remain among preschool-aged children.  This may be appropriate, but the IEP team needs to carefully consider whether or not this is the LRE based upon all of the child’s educational needs.

When social/emotional behavior is the only area for delay, is a licensed psychologist still required?

NO.  Professional judgment is sufficient to identify a delay. 

Are sensory issues considered under physical or adaptive?

For children with sensory disabilities, the team would have some options.  If their district policy allowed them to use all of the disability categories for determination of eligibility, then they could determine the child eligible under Visual Impairment/Blindness or Hearing Impairment/Deafness.  If the district’s policy is to only use the YCDD category for 3, 4 and pre-k 5 year olds, then the team would need to look at how the sensory impairment affects the child’s educational progress in each of the areas covered under YCDD—Cognitive, Adaptive, Social/Emotional, Communication, Physical.

How is the communication area of delay interpreted?

If a district allows both a YCDD and a categorical diagnosis, the eligibility determination team has the option of determining the student eligible under YCDD, or the team can consider the categorical areas of language impairment, sound system disorder, voice, or fluency. 

When considering Language Impairment, the criteria is 2.0 standard deviations below peers for that age group (refer to 1500 - Language Impairment, in the Compliance Standards & Indicators Manual). In this case, receptive and expressive language can be looked at separately and 2.0 standard deviations in either area would qualify the child as eligible. The evaluation report must document the results of two standardized assessments that measure the same areas of language. 

If the team is using YCDD as the only option then the team must substantiate a communication delay by assessing all the areas of communication as they relate to the child’s educational needs. When looking at categorical eligibility for language delays, two assessments measuring the same area of language are not needed, but delays must be documented overall (expressive and receptive). Sound system (1.5) and language (1.5) do not count as two separate areas when considering a YCDD diagnosis.  However, sound system can qualify as a stand-alone delay for YCDD if the child’s sound production is outside the limits of normal development as established for same age peers. 

To use speech-sound system disorder, voice, or fluency either as YCDD delays or as categorical area, use the criteria in 1600 - Sound System Disorder800 - Speech/Voice1700 - Speech/Fluency.

Are we required to test gross motor if the child only has fine motor concerns?

The Missouri State Plan now uses terminology consistent with language in the federal regulations. As a result, the former fine/gross motor area is now referred to as the physical area. Eligibility determination needs to focus on the overall physical development for the preschool child, particularly as it relates to the child’s educational needs. The delays in motor refer to an overall motor score of 2 standard deviations.  Keep in mind that, even though the child may not qualify for YCDD in the motor (physical) area, OT and PT can be provided as related services if the child is determined eligible based on another area of development and the IEP determines OT or PT is necessary for the child to benefit from special education.

If a student has a 1.5 SD in fine motor and a 1.5 SD in language, do they qualify?

No. The motor area must be 1.5 overall with both fine and gross motor and they must have a 1.5 SD in communication.

For First Steps students, do we have to follow the 30-day timeline between diagnosis and IEP if the evaluation is completed well in advance of the third birthday?

It depends.  The regulations require that, for children who are being served in the Part C system (First Steps), by the time the child is 2 years, 6 months of age, with the parent’s permission, the local school district be notified and invited to attend a transition IFSP meeting and that an IEP be in place to allow for the provision of services for an eligible child no later than their third birthday.  Exceptions to this occur when the district was not made aware of the child in sufficient time to complete an evaluation and develop the IEP or when a child’s third birthday falls during a normal vacation period for the school.   

 For children whose birthdays are May through August, their parent may elect for them to stay in First Steps until local districts begin operation in the fall. Students whose birthdays are in April can either stay in First Steps or begin services in Part B in their local district.  In both of these cases, the district must determine the child’s eligibility in the Part B system in order for the child to be able to continue with Part C services. According to the Office of Special Education Programs, an IEP must be developed within 30 days following a child’s determination of eligibility, except in the cases noted above where the child’s parents, because of the month in which their birthday falls, elects for them to remain in First Steps under an IFSP, the IEP can be developed any time prior to the beginning of the school year in which the child transitions to Part B services. For more information on transition of children from Part C to Part B, see the Missouri State Plan for either Part B or Part C and the Special Education Compliance Program Review Standards and Indicators Manual.

Who can serve as the regular education teacher for a child who is eligible for ECSE?

For preschool children, the regular education teacher can be

  • a Title 1 preschool teacher

  • a public school preschool teacher

  • a community preschool teacher/childcare teacher

  • an integrated ECSE teacher

  • a Head Start teacher

  • Title1/ECSE cooperative teachers

  • ECSE teachers who also hold an EC (PK-3) certificate

  • Kindergarten teachers.

Who determines who will serve as the regular education teacher in the child’s IEP?

The public agency must determine the most appropriate person to serve as the regular education teacher on each child’s IEP.   

When applicable, the regular education teacher participating in a child’s IEP meeting should be the teacher who is, or may be, responsible for implementing the IEP, so that the teacher can participate in discussions about how best to teach the child.

Does a regular education teacher have to be present for every IEP meeting?

No, with the exception of the initial IEP meeting as indicated in Question 3.23 above.  Whether or not a regular education teacher must attend all or any part of an IEP meeting must be determined on a case-by-case basis by the public agency, the parents, and other members of the IEP team.  The decision must be based on a variety of factors. 

Thus, while a regular education teacher is a member of the IEP team, the teacher may not (depending on the child’s needs and the purpose of the specific IEP meeting) be required to:

  •  Participate in all decisions made as part of the meeting

  •  Be present throughout the entire meeting, or

  •  Attend every meeting.

For a preschool child, a regular education teacher must participate in discussions of appropriate preschool activities to ensure the child’s involvement and progress in appropriate preschool activities and what accommodations/modification would need to be provided for both the child and for the child’s adult caregivers to enable the child to participate in the regular education environment (early childhood setting). However, it may not be necessary for the regular education teacher to participate in a meeting or part of a meeting where the team is determining the extent of a particular related service that would be necessary for the child, unless the regular education teacher would have some responsibility for assisting in the implementation of the related services.

If the IEP team has determined that the regular education teacher does not need to be present at an IEP meeting, must that be documented and how/where would that be done?

Yes, the team’s decision must be documented. This could be done in a number of ways.  It could be indicated both on the IEP meeting notification in the “participants invited to attend” section and also on the IEP in the section where the meeting participants are listed.  The documentation would read something like “The IEP team determined that participation of the regular education teacher was not necessary for this IEP meeting.”  Documentation could also be in IEP meeting notes, in a parent contact log, etc. 

What if the local district refuses to develop the IEP?

The local district will be out of compliance if it fails to develop an IEP for a child with a disability. HOWEVER there is no requirement that the IEP team find that the virtual school is an appropriate setting. Students who are not enrolled in the local school district are parentally enrolled students participating in a public instructional program. The local school district is not required to prepare parentally enrolled students, but they may be eligible for services under the proportionate share requirements of the IDEA.

Are there age requirements for the elementary and high school programs? Can students of one age take courses from another program?

Younger students are permitted to take higher level courses. When older students take elementary classes, they may not earn credit for completing elementary classes.  However, if an IEP team determines that the child needs a certain level of course work that is offered by MOCAP the IEP will be implemented as it is written.

What is the difference between MSIP 5 Performance, Process and Resource standards?

The standards are organized in three sections: Resource Standards, Process Standards and
Performance Standards. The Resource Standards address the basic requirements that all districts 
should have in place. They are generally quantitative in nature and include such components as 
class size, course offerings, and appropriate certification.  Some standards are appropriate for 
all districts. Other standards need to be tailored for districts in different contextual settings.
The Process Standards address the instructional and administrative processes used in schools. They 
include standards on instructional design and practices, effective teachers and leaders,  and 
Performance Standards include multiple measures of student performance. The standards against which 
all school districts will be assessed include academic achievement; subgroup achievement; college 
and career readiness (K-12) or high school readiness (K-8); attendance; and graduation rate. The 
Department annually collects and analyzes data for the performance
standards as part of the accreditation process.

When will districts be held accountable to the Performance Standards in MSIP 5?

The Performance Standards and Indicators are used to generate a district’s Annual Performance Report (APR). The 2013 APR—which will be published during the summer of 2013—is the first MSIPAPR that will be used to inform district classification recommendations. Three APRs, reflecting three years of performance data, will be used for classification recommendations.
This means that for the vast majority of districts, the department will review a district’s 2013 APR, 2014 APR, and 2015 APR for MSIP 5 accreditation classifications made in fall of 2015. If a district’s accreditation should warrant a change from its classification prior to 2015, the district’s fourth cycle APR will be reviewed in conjunction with the MSIP 5 APR. If this should 
occur, the 4th Cycle APR will be reviewed in relation to district performance as measured by the 4th Cycle standards and indicators and the MSIP 5 APR in relation to district performance as measured by the MSIP 5 standards and indicators. MSIP 5 is a completely different system than 4th Cycle MSIP; therefore, the APRs generated from the two systems should not be compared.

State Board of Education (SBE) Action

APRs reviewed









Fall 2012 (Districts not previously classified in 4th cycle or those with a recommendation for a change in 4th Cycle classification were taken to SBE.)

4th Cycle 2008

4th Cycle 2009

4th Cycle 2010

4th Cycle 2011

4th Cycle 2012




*Fall 2013 (A school district’s classification designation remains in effect until the SBE approves another designation. The SBE may consider changing a district’s classification designation at any time.)




4th Cycle 2011

4th Cycle 2012





*Fall 2014 (A school district’s classification designation remains in effect until the SBE approves another designation. The SBE may consider changing a district’s classification designation at any time.)





4th Cycle 2012






Fall 2015 (All districts reviewed annually to determine if a recommendation for classification designation is needed.)












*The Department does not intend to make MSIP 5 classification recommendations to the SBE until the district has acquired three MSIP 5 APRs, fall 2015. However, the SBE may consider changing a district’s classification designation at any time as outlined in the MSIP 5 rule http://dese.mo.gov/qs/documents/MSIP-5-Performance-Standard-Rule.pdf

What is the difference between a district’s accreditation status and a district’s accreditation classification?

The term “accreditation status” is used when describing the status of district’s APR for a given year. For example, in MSIP 5 a district’s APR may show that it has earned 89% of the overall points possible. The APR reflects a fully accredited status. The term “accreditation classification” is used to describe the official SBE designation for the district. Since multiple APRs are used to recommend an official accreditation classification, there are times when a district’s APR accreditation status for a given year may differ from the district’s official accreditation classification.

For College and Career Readiness Standard *1-3 (CCR *1-3), which measures postsecondary placement for all students, may we use scores from any of the four assessments listed (ACT, SAT, COMPASS or ASVAB)?

Yes. While in 4th Cycle the APR included only the ACT for this measure, the intent of MSIP 5 is to broaden the measures used to meet the standard through assessments that best meet the needs of individual students.

As we implement higher standards, is it reasonable to expect that fewer districts will be designated as “Accredited with Distinction” in MSIP 5 than have received “Distinction in Performance” (DIP) in previous cycles?

The criteria for earning “Accredited with Distinction” will be different than the criteria utilized for DIP in prior cycles of MSIP. For a district to be “Accredited with Distinction”, they must earn 90% or greater of the points available as well as other criteria to be determined.

When will the Resource and Process standards go into effect?

The Resource and Process Standards were approved by the State Board of Education at the September 2012 board meeting. The public comment period began on November 1, 2012 and closed on November 30, 2012. The comments will be reviewed by the State Board of Education. Comments will be responded to during the January meeting. If approved, the resource and
process standards will take effect during the spring of 2015.

In what way will the revised Resource and Process Standards impact accreditation?

During the 4th cycle of the Missouri School Improvement Program (MSIP), the Department began utilizing performance as the main factor in determining a district’s classification level. The Department will continue to utilize performance measures as the main determinant for classification during MSIP 5. Resource and Process Standards will not be used to determine a district’s classification, but will be used to provide feedback to districts who may be in jeopardy of receiving a classification other than fully accredited.

If a district cannot afford to implement the desirable Resource Standards, what is the impact on a district?

As has been the practice since 2006, the department will monitor the district’s Annual Performance Report for accreditation purposes. The district should continue to tailor the Resource Standards to meet the needs of the students in the district.

Because the district must choose between the Algebra I test and the grade level mathematics assessment for each student and is no longer able to include two scores for some students, will our scores go down from prior years?

The MSIP 5 DRAFT APR calculates data from the 2010, 2011 and 2012 assessments consistent with the Department’s algebra policy. Data from those assessment years are not included as a duplicated count in mathematics if the student took both the grade level and EOC assessment. The grade level results are removed so that appropriate annual progress can be calculated.
Scores from all mathematics assessment are reported in total rather than by grade span for the MSIP 5 DRAFT APR.

The A+ program requires a student to score proficient on the Algebra I EOC in order to be eligible for A+. May a student take the EOC each semester until he or she passes the test? If a student takes it multiple times, will their school

A student may take the Algebra I EOC multiple times to attain A+ scholarship eligibility. If the student has been assessed in a prior accountability year and is simply retesting for A+ eligibility, the district may submit a letter of appeal to have the additional scores(s) removed from accountability for the current year. Any time a district assesses a student on the state assessment, the results are included in the district’s data. It is up to the district to ensure that the appeal is filed during the current accountability year. The accountability year begins with the summer administration and ends with the spring administration (summer, fall, spring).

What are the main differences in 4th Cycle and MSIP 5?

MSIP 4th Cycle


APR indicates whether each indicator is MET or NOT MET. Each indicator is weighted equally and accreditation recommendations are made on the total number of METs earned.

APR indicates the number of points earned for each indicator. Indicators are not weighted equally. Accreditation recommendations are made on the total percentage of overall points earned.

APR includes 5 years of data.

APR includes 3 years of data.

APR includes MET/NOT MET for each grade span (3-5, 6-8, high school) for English Language Arts and Mathematics.

APR includes percent of points earned by each subject area for English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.

Performance is calculated for grade span, grade level and subgroup to assist in school improvement planning.

District-level APRs provided.

District-level and building-level APRs provided.

State targets are set using the state norm.

State targets are set using the goal of reaching Top 10 by 20 goal.

Standards and Indicators are calculated using Status and Progress.

Standards and Indicators are calculated using Status, Progress and Growth where applicable.

Post-secondary preparation standard includes a measure for ACT performance.

Post-secondary preparation includes a measure for ACT or SAT or COMPASS or ASVAB performance.

Post-secondary preparation measures enrollment in Advanced Courses.

Post-secondary preparation measures successful completion in Advanced Courses.

Post-high school preparation measures the student’s high school GPA. (K-8 districts)

Post-high school preparation measures the district’s proficiency rate on MAP end-of- course assessments. (K-8 districts)

Attendance standard measures aggregate attendance.

Attendance standard measures attendance of the individual child.

Graduation rate standard measures the cohort graduation rate.

Graduation rate standard measures the 5-year adjusted cohort graduation rate.

The focus is on continuous improvement.

The focus is on continuous improvement.

MSIP 5 is a completely different system than 4th Cycle MSIP; therefore, the APRs generated from the two systems should not be compared.

I’m reviewing our district’s data and would like additional information on how each performance standard is calculated.

Additional information on the calculation of the data for each standard may be found in the Guidance Document for the fifth version of the Missouri School Improvement program located at: http://www.dese.mo.gov/qs/documents/MSIP_5_APRcalculationsOctober30topost.pdf.

What are the new accreditation levels and how will a district earn each classification?

There are four levels of accreditation as follows:
Accredited With Distinction – Equal to or greater than 90% of the points possible on the APR and meets other criteria yet to be determined by the State Board of Education.
Accredited – Equal to or greater than 70% of the points possible on the APR. 
Provisional – Equal to or greater than 50% to 69.9% of the points possible on the APR.
Unaccredited –Less than 50% of the points possible on the APR.

Is there additional information available that our district can share with stakeholders about MSIP 5?

The Department has developed a variety of resources for districts, parents and other stakeholders to assist districts in the transition from 4th Cycle MSIP to MSIP 5. These resources can be located at http://www.dese.mo.gov/qs/MSIP5.html and include Commissioner Nicastro’s video message, a toolkit, recorded webinars and other tools developed to assist districts in the transition from 4th Cycle MSIP to MSIP 5.

What is significant about the new standards?

The minimum number of credits needed to graduate will increase to 24. The current requirement of 22 units has been in place for 20 years. The new standards put more emphasis on the core academic areas by requiring 4 units of English and 3 units each in math, science and social studies. Compared with the previous standards, this means that many students will be required to complete one additional unit in each of the core academic areas. (Some school districts may have already required the additional credits in these subjects.)
In addition, there will be NEW requirements for a half-unit course (one semester) in “personal finance” and a half-unit course in health education. (See next page for specific questions regarding the required course in personal finance.)

Do the new graduation standards apply to private or parochial schools?


Do these standards apply to transfer students?

Local school boards already have policies that govern the awarding of credit and diplomas to  students who transfer in during grades 9-12. Districts may wish to review and update such policies to reflect the state’s new minimum standards and any local requirements.


Who may teach the required health class?

Any person with a valid Missouri teaching certificate in health education or family and consumer sciences may teach the required health course.

When should personal finance be taught?

Classes in personal finance may be offered in grades 10, 11 and 12. Each student’s transcript must indicate that he or she earned a passing grade in this course.

Where does personal finance fit in the curriculum?

Personal finance may be categorized as a practical arts course, a social studies course or as a stand-alone course.

Who may teach personal finance?

The school district should select the most qualified person to teach the course. The instructor must hold a valid Missouri teaching certificate.

How may the personal finance class be counted for credit?

If the personal finance class is offered in the practical arts department, it may be counted to meet: (1) the personal finance requirement; and (2) as one-half of the required credit in practical arts. If personal finance is offered in the social studies department, it may be counted to meet: (1) the personal finance requirement; and (2) as a half-unit (0.5) of the 3 units of required social studies. In either of these cases, the electives available to a student would increase to 7.5 units, and the student would earn the full 24 units of credit required for graduation.

What is the course code for personal finance?

The Core Data course code for personal finance is 996400.

Where can I find the definition of homeless children or youths?

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11431 et seq.) defines homeless children or youths. (See http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode42/usc_sec_42_00011434---  a000-.html.) Section 167.020.1, RSMo, the state statute defining Missouri’s public school residency requirements, conforms to the federal definition. (See http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C100-  199/1670000020.HTM.) Most Missouri school districts have adopted a written “Homeless Education Program” or “Admission of Homeless Students” policy or regulation that includes this definition. Homeless coordinators/liaisons and school admissions personnel should familiarize themselves with this policy.

Are homeless children and youths subject to the same residency requirements as other students?

No. Pursuant to § 167.020.6, RSMo, homelessness is an exception to the residency requirements defined in § 167.020.2 and 3, RSMo.

What is meant by “immediate” enrollment?

It means that a homeless student should be enrolled without undue or unreasonable delay. The goal is to ensure that the district does not create a barrier to enrollment.

May a school district wait until a new semester begins to enroll a homeless child?

No. The McKinney-Vento Act supersedes district practice regarding enrollment. District personnel should review their board-adopted policy regarding the enrollment of homeless students.

How does the school district determine if a student fits the definition of “awaiting foster care”?

The Department recommends contacting the Children’s Division of the Department of Social Services for assistance in making a determination as to a student’s care status.

What is Missouri’s policy on immunizations for homeless children and youths?

A.  Once district officials have determined that an enrolling student is homeless, the district’s homeless coordinator must assist in the student in obtaining his/her education, immunization, medical, and other records. According to McKinney-Vento, the student must be enrolled in the interim. If the homeless coordinator is unable to obtain prior immunization records within thirty (30) days of enrolling and the student is still eligible for services under the homeless education program; the student must begin the immunization series and demonstrate that satisfactory progress has been accomplished within (90) days. If the homeless student maintains that he/she is exempted from receiving immunizations, then after thirty (30) days the student must provide documentation in accordance with the exemption requirements provided for in § 167.181.3, RSMo. (See http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C100-  199/1670000181.HTM.)

If a homeless coordinator suspects that a “homeless” child is not truly homeless, how would the district prove that a person is not homeless?

McKinney-Vento requires homeless children to be enrolled immediately even if the student can’t provide education records. Until the district determines otherwise, the student should be enrolled. Most school districts have a standard enrollment/registration form and/or a proof of residency waiver form that should provide the homeless coordinator enough information to make a determination as to the student’s homeless status. If not, the homeless coordinator can continue to monitor the child’s status throughout the school year if the form doesn’t provide enough information for the coordinator to initially make an informed decision.

At what age can districts begin using grant funds to serve homeless children and youths? Do they need to only serve school-aged children as our state defines it?

A.  McKinney-Vento addresses the needs of homeless children and youths from pre-school through grade 12 and requires comparable services for enrollment in preschool programs for which non-homeless preschool students are eligible. Therefore, a school district that operates a pre-school program in one or more schools should be providing comparable services for children who are homeless. School districts wanting to use grant funds for preschool may do so only for students who meet the age requirements of the district preschool program.

Does our school district need to provide transportation for detention?

A homeless student receiving an after-school detention would be treated comparably to other students who have been detained after school. In some cases, that may mean the school provides after hours transportation.

May school districts use transportation funds to transport a 19 year-old from a shelter to take GED classes? The student is not enrolled in the school district at this time.

The use of federal funds would not be appropriate for this purpose since the student is not enrolled in high school. On the other hand, a homeless student participating in a district’s GED Option Program would still be eligible for transportation since the student remains enrolled in high school.

Are school districts required to provide transportation to alternative schools for homeless students?

If the student is assigned to an alternative school by the district, then transportation must be provided to the school.

Are school districts required to provide transportation during summer school for homeless children and youth?

Transportation during summer school is only required when it is provided to non-homeless students. Transportation should be provided if summer school is required for the homeless student to advance to the next grade.

Once a homeless child is permanently housed are districts required to provide transportation for the remainder of the school year?

For the sake of educational continuity, a school district has the discretion to use Title I or Title V funds to continue transporting the student for the remainder of the year.

Is the school district required to transport a homeless student to the school of origin/best interest if the student disobeys the rules in a cab and the driver refuses to transport the child for safety?

All students are subject to the school district’s discipline policies including those related to student transportation. Subject to the district’s discipline policy, a homeless student may temporarily or permanently lose access to transportation if it’s warranted under the circumstances.

Which school is the “school of origin”?

The term “school of origin” is defined as the specific school building in a school district that the student attended when permanently housed or the school in which the student was last enrolled before becoming homeless.

Is a school of origin required to enroll kindergarteners who are siblings of homeless students at the beginning of the new school year?

Again, it comes down to determining the school of best interest for that child. However, if an entire family is homeless, the district can presume the kindergartener is too.

Once a child is homeless, who determines the “school of best interest”?

The school of origin shall comply, to the extent feasible, with the request of a parent or guardian regarding school selection; however, the school district ultimately determines the school of best interest. If the school district elects to send a child or youth to a school other than the school of origin or a school requested by the parent or guardian, district officials shall provide a written explanation, including the right to appeal the decision, and a copy of the standard complaint resolution to the parent or guardian or unaccompanied youth. While the school of best interest is being determined the child must be enrolled in the school of the parents’ choice until a final decision is made.

Which school district is responsible for providing transportation to the school of best interest?

If the school of origin and the school of residence can not agree upon providing transportation, then McKinney-Vento requires the school districts to share the responsibility and cost for transportation equally.

Are migrant children considered homeless?

A.  The McKinney-Vento Act definition of homeless children and youths makes specific reference to “migratory children”. Therefore, migrant children’s circumstances should be reviewed with this definition in mind. Many migrant families share housing. Not all families who “double up” consider themselves homeless; sometimes families choose to live together. Other families are forced to double up because they’ve been made homeless due to unforeseen circumstances or because the immediacy of a circumstance requires sharing a residence. Migrant children residing in a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence may not appear to be homeless; however, by definition, migrant families/children are highly mobile and often resort to residing in substandard housing.  Therefore, the house they live in may not be fixed, regular or adequate. School districts should review the McKinney-Vento definition of homeless and evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis.

Are families living in Section 8 housing considered homeless? Are families living in transitional housing considered homeless?

A.  The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Section 8 housing is considered as fixed, regular and part of a permanent housing plan. Other HUD housing is designed to serve as transitional housing for no more than two years at a time. School personnel will need to review the terms of housing contracts to determine if they are Section 8 (fixed, regular) or transitional (time limitations are imposed). For more information regarding HUD requirements go to http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/homeless/rulesandregs/laws/title4/index.cfm

What if the student remains in transitional housing for four years, would they be considered homeless for all 4 years?

For HUD purposes some transitional housing is defined as two years or less. In cases where transitional housing is not supplied by HUD, the district may have to review the student’s circumstances to determine whether or not the student remains homeless. For example, if a student continues to reside in a shelter or in some other housing that is not intended to be fixed and regular or is not adequate, then the student is defined as homeless under the McKinney-Vento definition of homeless. Homelessness is not always temporary; sometimes it’s chronic.

A family is sharing the housing of other persons for one year. During the year the children were transported to their school of origin in another district. Is the school that transported/enrolled them last year required to do so again?

Homelessness is not limited in time and can, over time, become chronic.  Therefore, the district of origin should review the family’s current living situation for purposes of determining whether the family remains homeless. For example, a family may have lost their home in a fire. If the home is being re-built, but is not yet finished, then the family may still be homeless. This question can only be answered by  reviewing the McKinney-Vento definition of homeless and determining whether the family still falls within that definition.

A district has a family that has been living in a hotel located in another district for three years. The children have been transported and enrolled each year in the non-resident district. Which district enrolls and transport them?

While living temporarily in a hotel qualifies as homeless, the above situation may not be considered fixed, regular, and adequate enough to stop providing McKinney-Vento services to the students. The school must determine whether the living arrangement is due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation.

What if a family is homeless during one school year and the next year they are still homeless, what does a school district have to do to provide services for that child?

If a child is homeless during one school year they can receive services for the remainder of that school year as a homeless child. If the child returns to the school district the next school year claiming to be homeless, the homeless coordinator should reevaluate the situation prior to determining whether the child should remain in the district. Some questions to consider are: What is the family’s current housing situation? Does it continue to meet one of the definitions of homeless under McKinney-Vento or § 167.020, RSMo? Is the child staying in the same location or is it a different location from the previous school year? What are the parents’ plans? How far is it between the school of origin and the district of residence? Would it be in the child’s best interest to enroll in the district of residence at the start of the new school year? What are the parents’ plans?

A homeless student violates the Safe Schools Act and is suspended or expelled from the school of origin. Is the school of residence required to immediately enroll this student?

Any time the enrolling district knows that a student has been suspended or expelled from another school as the consequence of the Safe Schools Act, the district must review its written discipline policy to determine if it would have suspended or expelled the student for the same reason. If so, the district would not have to enroll the student until such time as the suspension or expulsion expires. If the homeless student has an IEP, the school in which the student was enrolled must continue to provide a free and adequate education as required under the IDEA. If the district does not know about the Safe Schools Act violation, the student should be enrolled until the district receives the student’s disciplinary record from the school he/she previously attended.  If the district has reason to suspect that a child poses an immediate danger to others the superintendent may convene a hearing within five working days of the request to enroll to determine the appropriate course of action.

Are there reliable web sources of information I can refer to when I have questions about educating homeless children and youth?

The Department’s “Homeless Children and Youth Program” website is located at http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/fedprog/discretionarygrants/homeless/index.html. This site provides links to useful informational sources such as the National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE) and the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY).

Why should I have a User ID?

An individual should register for a User ID if they are a certificated teacher and need access to their Educator Certification files. Once employed by a district, this same User ID should be used if the individual is given responsibility that requires accessing web applications for the district.

Individuals employed by a district should register for a User ID if their district responsibilities require accessing web applications for the district.

Do the educational environments replace the IDEA placement categories for children in ECSE?

NO. State and federal regulations still require that the child’s placement be based upon the IEP  and reflect the services that are provided for in the IEP. The IDEA ECSE placement categories have not changed and are listed below. Definitions of the placement categories are included in the State. Plan for Special Education, http://www.dese.mo.gov/divspeced/stateplan/index.html.
Itinerant Services Outside the Home Early Childhood Setting
Early Childhood Special Education Setting Separate School
Part Time EC / Part Time ECSE Setting
Residential Facility

Several of the ECSE placement categories have the same name as the educational environment categories. Can we make the assumption a placement of “Home,” “Separate School” or Residential Facility equates to the educational environment of the same name?

NO. The placements look at where the child is receiving services, while the educational environments
first look at participation in a regular early childhood program. Therefore, while a child may be receiving
services in the home, the child may also be attending a regular early childhood program, in which case
the placement would be home, but the educational environment would be one of the regular early
childhood program environments (00A4-00A7).

Does the child’s placement still have to be documented on the IEP?

Yes. The requirements for documenting the IEP team’s decision regarding placement on the IEP have not changed.

Does the educational environment category need to be documented on the child’s IEP?

NO. The educational environment category should not be documented on the IEP, as these categories reflect not only the services that are listed in the IEP, but also regular education services that the child is receiving that are not required by the IEP or provided or paid for by the LEA. However, the LEA must have a system for documenting the district’s determination of the child’s “educational  environment” for reporting purposes.

What does “Receives majority of special education services in regular program” mean?

This means that the child receives at least half of his/her special education services in a classroom/setting/physical location where there are nondisabled peers.

What Happens When a School District Becomes Unaccredited?

Pursuant to state law the State Board of Education classifies (accredits) public school districts. Under the standards of the Missouri School Improvement Program (MSIP), a school district may be given one of three ratings: accredited, provisionally accredited, or unaccredited. A provisionally accredited district is still considered to be accredited. State law defines the consequences for a school district that becomes unaccredited. The date that the loss of accreditation becomes effective is set by the State Board of Education. If no effective date is set by the State Board, the action becomes effective on the date of the board action.

May students transfer from an unaccredited district to another district?

Mo. Rev. Stat. §167.131 provides that an unaccredited school district must pay tuition for students transferring to an accredited school district, and that the receiving district must accept those students. Application of this law has been litigated in two cases, Breitenfeld, et al. v. School District of Clayton and Blue Springs School District, et al. v. School District of Kansas City, Missouri. In both cases, the Missouri Supreme Court has affirmed the right of students to transfer to an accredited school district. Families residing in an unaccredited school district and wishing to transfer should contact school officials in the accredited district to which they wish to enroll to determine how the district is implementing these rulings.​

Does unaccredited status affect students’ diplomas?

Students who graduate from an unaccredited school district still receive diplomas.

What about admission to college?

Higher education institutions typically consider multiple sources of information (transcript, ACT/SAT score, portfolio, recommendations, etc.) when determining whether to admit a student. The Department has not identified any instance where a student who graduated from an unaccredited school district has been disqualified from consideration for admission. However, higher education institutions set their own policies and criteria for admissions. Families should contact the admissions office at the institution under consideration to determine that program’s policy.

What about eligibility for scholarships?

An unaccredited district classification does not reflect the qualifications or accomplishments of any individual student. Students who graduate from an unaccredited school district should be eligible for any scholarship for which they would otherwise qualify. As with school admission, families should contact the financial aid office of any program under consideration.

What about eligibility for extracurricular activities?

Eligibility for interscholastic activities for most schools is determined by the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA). MSHSAA By-Law 3.10.4 provides that students who transfer schools or do not meet the requirements for residency upon enrollment at the school are ineligible for 365 days unless they meet one or more exceptions. Exception 4 relates to students transferring from an unaccredited public school:
A student may be eligible upon his or her first transfer from an unaccredited public school to an accredited public school where the student’s tuition is required by state law to be paid by the home district provided the transfer does not involve undue influence and is not for athletic reasons. Likewise, a student may be eligible upon his/her first transfer back to his/her home school if the school regains accreditation provided: 1. the student transfers within 365 days of accreditation being regained and 2. the transfer does not involve undue influence and is not for athletic reasons.

For more information regarding eligibility contact Missouri State High School Activities Association, P.O. Box 1328, Columbia, MO 65205-1328, phone: (573) 875-4880, fax: (573) 875-1450, email: email@mshsaa.org.

I know it is an IEP team decision to consider MAP‐A for a student, but what if we had a student on MAP‐A last year but based on what you mentioned today this student does not need MAP‐A, what can we do now?

Answer: The IEP team can change the eligibility determination if the team believes that the student is not eligible for the MAP‐A based upon an analysis of the criteria. The IEP team will need to focus on how the student will access the general education curriculum in order to be able to participate in the regular assessment of that curriculum. The IEP team will need to carefully consider accommodations/modifications as well as supplementary aids and services to allow access to the general education curriculum. In addition, the IEP team will need to consider what accommodations the student will require when taking the regular assessment.

If a child is so profoundly disabled cognitively and physically that they could not complete even the lowest APIs for the MAP‐A, could they be exempted from the MAP‐A and use an alternative type of evaluation?

Answer: There is no “alternate” to the alternate assessment. The student either takes the regular assessment of the general education curriculum or the alternate assessment of the alternate achievement standards as required by a number of state and federal laws. In Missouri, the regular assessment is the MAP which consists of both Grade‐Level and End‐of‐Course Assessments, and the alternate assessment is the MAP‐A which is currently the Measured Progress Profile. In the future, the MAP‐A will be the Dynamic Learning Maps. There is no exemption due to profound intellectual disabilities. Not all students who take MAP‐A will be proficient or advanced.

We have a student in our district who is medically fragile and has been exempt in the past from the MAP‐A. Is this still an option and, if so, what is the process?

Answer: The district should contact the Department’s Accountability and Data office at 573‐526‐4886 to report individual student concerns for extended absences during the collection window and to determine the next steps. Regardless, at the end of the second collection window, the district must return the particular student’s portfolio to the Assessment Resources Center along with the any other MAP‐A portfolios from the district.

We have students that have only taken the MAP‐A and have never taken the regular MAP. Can those students still take the MAP‐A (grandfathered in) or will we have to review their eligibility using the criteria from this webinar?

Answer: At each annual IEP team meeting, a decision must be made regarding participation in either the regular assessment of the general education curriculum or the alternate assessment of the alternate achievement standards. If a student is no longer eligible to participate in the alternate assessment, they are required to participate in the regular assessment. A student cannot be “grandfathered” in to the alternate assessment. IEP teams are encouraged to use the updated checklist and the other new resources to guide the decision for determining eligibility for participation in the alternate assessment. Please note that this is not new guidance – compliance with IDEA has always required IEP teams to annually determine which type of assessment the student will participate in for that IEP cycle.

May a student take the MAP‐A based on alternate achievement standards in one content area but take the regular assessment of the general education curriculum in another content area?

Answer: No.

I notice that the old version of the MAP‐A Eligibility Checklist refers to “significant cognitive disabilities” and the new resources talks about “most significant cognitive disabilities”. Why has this changed?

Answer: This is the first time since the original guidance was developed that the MAP‐A guidance has been reviewed and updated. This review and update was prompted by the state reaching the 1% threshold for accountability purposes.

Here’s a little history about the alternate assessment. . . In 1997 IDEA first introduced the requirement that ALL students would be accountable in state and district assessments beginning in 2000. Missouri, like the other states, developed an alternate assessment based on alternate achievement standards, as well as guidance for participation in the new alternate assessment. Beginning in 2003, federal regulations related to IDEA and ESEA began using the term “the most significant cognitive disabilities, and in August 2005, NCLB guidance was published entitled “Alternate Achievement Standards for Students with the Most Significant Cognitive Disabilities”. The updated checklist, new flowchart, and new guidance document provided with this webinar are consistent with the most current federal guidance for IDEA, ESEA and NCLB.

The terms “alternate assessment” and alternative assessment were used during the webinar – are these the same thing? And how does the MAP‐A fit into the new guidance?

Answer: Remember that the updated checklist, new flowchart and new guidance document are not introducing “new” guidance. Instead these documents along with the webinar were created to clear up
common questions and provide additional clarification on the eligibility criteria. These documents and the guidance are consistent with previous information provided by the Department in regards to MAP‐A.

The term “alternate assessment” is used in the IDEA, ESEA and NCLB. However, in common practice, the terms “alternate assessment” and “alternative assessment” are used interchangeably. MAP‐A is the acronym for Missouri Assessment Program – Alternate. It is Missouri’s state‐wide assessment of alternate achievement standards and meets the federal requirements of IDEA, ESEA and NCLB.

What happens if school staff are instructed by the superintendent or principal that a student will take the MAP‐A and to make sure the IEP reflects that decision?

Answer: This would be a very difficult situation for a special education staff to handle if the student does not meet the criteria to be eligible to take the alternate assessment. It would be important to identify the reason for this directive in order to best respond. If the directive was made because of a lack of information such as not being aware of the eligibility criteria, it would be appropriate to share this webinar and the resources to inform the superintendent or principal of the compliance requirements. Since this situation would qualify as a Testing Concern, it could be reported to the Department. The Department would then follow‐up with the district and determine why the directive was issued. Department staff would then provide appropriate information to all concerned personnel.

The district is ultimately responsible for developing an IEP that will provide the student with a free appropriate public education (FAPE); if the parent does not agree with the IEP team decision, they have the option of following the complaint system including mediation, filing a child complaint or filing for due process.​

How will the department monitor for compliance for the alternate assessment?

Answer: Compliance monitoring will be accomplished in the same way as currently conducted. For the Office of Special Education, the file review and self‐assessment as part of the cyclical tiered monitoring process will continue to verify indicators 200.810.f, 200.910.c, 200.910.d, 200.920.c and 200.920.d. In addition, the Office of Special Education will continue to monitor compliance through child complaint investigations. The Missouri Assessment Program through the Office of College and Career Readiness will continue to monitor the administration of the alternate assessment through onsite visits as well as self‐monitoring by LEA staff.

If the IEP team makes the determination that the student no longer qualifies for MAP‐A, will a Notice of Action need to be provided to the parent?

Answer: The correct answer is “NO.” The Department’s original guidance in March 2008 for when to provide prior written notice did include this particular situation; however, an OSEP Guidance Letter dated August 15, 2008 and a discussion with OSEP staff in September 2008 provided further clarification that changed that original guidance. A SELS message dated September 17, 2008 makes it clear that no prior written notice is required when changing a student from the alternate to the regular assessment or vice versa. When to provide prior written notice generates many questions and a webinar is planned for May 15, 2013.

What are the specific implications of the four cognitive levels of support from formal instruments since none of them mention the most significant cognitive disability?

Answer: The four cognitive levels discussed in the guidance document and webinar reflect the categories of intellectual disabilities from the most commonly referred to professional resources in the field: the American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD), the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), and the International Classification of Diseases (ICD). This information was provided to assists IEP teams to make informed decisions regarding student’s eligibility to participate in the alternate assessment. It is extremely important that tests and assessments be administered and interpreted by trained professionals in accordance with publisher’s instructions. Those instructions will provide guidance for interpreting the test results. The IEP team will need to determine the impact of that information for each individual student.

Please define most significant level of support. Could students within the 50‐70 IQ range qualify when other required factors are also present? If not would these students be required to take the required EOC’s before graduation?

Answer: The guidance document was developed to provide additional clarification on determining the most significant levels of support. The second question addresses levels of support and indicates this information must come from multiple sources of information (not just an adaptive behavior assessment) and include both skills the student is capable of performing as well as those areas in which he/she has difficulty. A comprehensive review would be expected to include each of the following areas: communication; self‐care; daily living; social skills; access to community; self‐direction; health and safety; functional academics; leisure; and, work.

The IEP team of a student falling within the 50‐70 IQ range could be found eligible to participate in the alternate assessment if all the criteria are met. As with any student taking alternate assessments, it would be important to justify that decision in the IEP. If the IEP team determined the student was not eligible to participate in the alternate assessment, then the student would be required to participate in any required regular assessment. Child specific questions should be directed to the Office of Special Education at 573‐751‐0699 or the Assessment section at 573‐751‐3545.

A student’s IEP team just recently met and determined that the student is eligible to take the MAP‐A. Should the IEP team reconvene to see if they still qualify for the alternate assessment?

Answer: As stated in the webinar, the Office of Special Education is not recommending that an IEP meeting be held immediately for every student to see if they still qualify to participate in the alternate assessment unless the IEP team feels that it is necessary to re‐visit the determination sooner. This is because the criteria for eligibility for participation for the MAP‐A has not changed; rather it has only been clarified. At every annual IEP team meeting, the updated checklist and new resources should be used to assist the IEP team in making a determination.

Could a student who is not eligible for the state‐wide alternate assessment (MAP‐A) ever be eligible for an alternate district assessment?

Answer: No. As stated in the webinar, a student must meet the eligibility criteria to be able to participate in the alternate assessment at both the state‐wide and district‐wide assessment levels.

Are there suggested alternate achievement assessments if the district gives Terra Nova to K‐2 students? If the district gives a group cognitive assessment to kindergarten and 2nd, are there recommendations for an alternate district assessment?

Answer: In this situation, the IEP team would want to consider the purpose of the district‐wide assessment and whether the most individual assessment results from the student’s most current special education evaluation would fulfill that purpose. If so, an explanation would be included on form E of the IEP. If not, then the IEP team would need to select another alternate assessment instrument to serve the same purpose as the district‐wide assessment.

Will there be an extension this year to the MAP‐A window due to the multiple snow days?

Answer: The Assessment Section will provide any decisions regarding extensions. Any questions should be directed to their staff at 573‐751‐3545.

What is a standard score that is considered significantly below non‐disabled peers?

Answer: There is no “magic” number for this determination. The IEP team makes this decision for each student based on a careful analysis of a variety of factors. The standard scores are only one factor that must be considered. Levels of support and adaptive behavior must also be factored into the decision for each student. Please refer to the guidance document for further clarification.

Where do we find the technical assistance bulletin that was referenced on the last side?

Answer: The technical assistance bulletin can be found at the following webpage:

Where can I find the AEL Teacher Certification requirements?

This form can be found on the DESE website at: http://www.dese.mo.gov/divcareered/certifications.htm#ael

Does a teacher who attended the PCW last year, still have to do the BTAP this year? Can they do the resource workshop instead?

Teachers with an initial certification must complete the BTAP, 60 hours of professional development (PD), and have completed 4 years of Adult Education teaching to apply for the Career Continuous certificate. Though it is not required, it is suggested that teachers complete 20 hours of PD per year to meet this requirement. This aids in simplifying the tracking process for both the director and the teacher.

If a teacher is switching from GED to ESL and attended the PCW last year, do they need to do the ESL PCW this year?

The teacher may choose to take an ESL PCW, but is not required to do so. The BTAP is required. The purpose of the different workshops is to best match the workshop material with the needs of the teacher. Teachers should train based on teaching assignments and certification needs.

Can an experienced AEL instructor attend an ESL workshop and if so, does it need to be the PCW ESL?

Experienced AEL and ESL teachers are able to train at the ETW level without having to go back to a PCW or BTAP. Teachers should train based on teaching assignments and certification needs.

Can a teacher go "out of order" if they cannot attend the appropriate workshop (should go to a BTAP/ETW, but the dates are not possible)?

Teachers should attend the BTAP following the PCW. It is important that teacher workshops be taken in sequence: Pre-Certification Workshop (PCW), Beginning Teacher Assistance Program (BTAP), and then the Experienced Teacher Workshops (ETW). Taking the BTAP out of order is strongly discouraged. The purpose of the BTAP is to provide additional support for the beginning teacher. All teachers are strongly encouraged to attend the BTAP as close to their beginning teaching as possible. Teachers should not substitute an ETW for a BTAP, though other workshops and in-services may be attended in addition to the BTAP.

Career Continuous Certification requirements include 20 hours of professional development each year. Individuals possessing an AEL-Career Continuous, who do not complete twenty (20) contact hours of professional development, may within two (2) years make up the missing hours. The individual must first meet the twenty (20) hour requirement for the current year and then count the excess hours as make-up hours.

Other PD may be used if the program director submits a written request using the Application for PD Approval.

If a teacher has 10 years of teaching experience, and a Master’s Degree, can they apply for exemption at any time or must they complete the Initial Certification process first?

The 10 years of teaching experience must be in AEL in order to apply for the High Quality Career Continuous certification. This means that the Initial Certification phase will be complete, as well as some years of Career Continuous certification. After these requirements have been met, those teachers with 10+ years and a master’s degree may apply for the High Quality Career Continuous Certificate.

In order to receive the certification that exempts PD (High Quality Career Continuous certification), is it 10 years of teaching experience in any teaching setting?

To apply for a High Quality Continuous certificate the teacher must have taught in an AEL classroom for 10 years.

What kind of documentation of teaching experience is required?

Documentation requires a school administrator to verify the teacher has taught the requisite number of years. To submit this verification, two forms may be needed: the application for the AEL certificate and the verification of teaching experience if experience has been completed in other districts.
The new application for certification has a place for verification of experience that the school official must sign on the APPLICATION FOR MISSOURI ADULT EDUCATION AND LITERACY CERTIFICATE form MO500-2292 (05/05) (Application - Section F, page 2 ). This form can be found on the DESE website at: http://www.dese.mo.gov/divteachqual/teachcert/forms.htmlClick on the “Career Education (Vocational) Forms” button and scroll down until you find this form.
If a teacher has taught in more than one district, the teacher needs to send VERIFICATION OF TEACHING EXPERIENCE form MO 500-2182 (01/02). This form can be found on the DESE website at: http://www.dese.mo.gov/divteachqual/teachcert/forms.html. Click on the “Frequently Requested Forms” button and scroll down until you find this form.

Can a Master’s degree be in anything?

We do not accept the Master of Divinity. All other master’s degrees are accepted.

What kind of documentation of the master’s degree is required?

Teachers must submit original transcripts to the state certification office showing achievement of a master’s degree. The original transcripts must be on file with the state certification office for this requirement to be met.

Can a teacher on the old 10-year certificate still skip a year of PD?

Teachers currently working on the 10-year certificate who have achieved a master’s degree and 10 years of experience possess the qualifications of the High Quality Career Continuous upgrade. These teachers may go ahead and apply for this certificate at any time.

All teachers should be completing professional development based on the requirements. Teachers who have a Career Continuous certificate must still complete 20 hours of PD each year. There is no exemption from this requirement unless the teacher has 10 years of AEL teaching experience, a master’s degree, a professional development plan in place, and has achieved the High Quality Career Continuous certificate upgrade.

What do I need for a Professional Development Plan?

The professional development plan is an agreement that the teacher and the program director have discussed, signed and dated indicating that the teacher will continue to participate in professional development as indicated. No specific form is needed. Record of the plan for each teacher should be kept on file locally.

The experienced teacher needs to submit a plan of professional development activity to the program director. Together, an agreement of what is appropriate for the teaching assignment should be reached in order for the teacher to stay current in the field, and to best serve the students assigned to that teacher. Some options may include local staff meetings, in-services, area or district professional development opportunities, or workshops presented through the MAEL PDC.

How do I track teacher Professional Development?

Certification requirements and a sample local tracking form can be found on the DESE website at: http://www.dese.mo.gov/divteachqual/teachcert/professional_development.html
The PD Report that must be completed by October 1st of each year can also be accessed at this site, as well as directions for completion.

When did the most recent charter law go into effect?

The most recent charter law went into effect as of Aug. 28, 2016.

In the past, charter schools were only permitted within the boundaries of the St. Louis City School District and Kansas City School District. Where are schools permitted now?

Refer to Section 160.400.2, RSMo. – charter schools may be operated only:

1. In the St. Louis city school district;
2. In the Kansas City school district;
3. In an unaccredited school district;
4. In a school district that has been classified as provisionally accredited for three consecutive school years under specific conditions. See Section 160.400.2(4);
5. In accredited districts, only the local school board can sponsor a charter school. After three consecutive years of classification as a provisionally accredited or unaccredited district, schools in that district can be sponsored by any of the entities listed in 160.400(3) after approval from the State Board of Education.

Do charter schools have to have a sponsor?

Yes. Refer to Section 160.400.3, RSMo. – the following entities are eligible to sponsor charter schools:

1. The special administrative boards or the school boards of the St. Louis and Kansas City school districts;
2. A public four-year college or university with an approved teacher education program that meets regional or national standards of accreditation;
3. A community college, the service area of which encompasses some portion of the district;
4. Any private four-year college or university with an enrollment of at least one thousand students, with its primary campus in Missouri, and with an approved teacher preparation program;
5. Any two-year private vocational or technical school designated as a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, which is a member of the North Central Association and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, with its primary campus in Missouri; or
6. The Missouri Charter Public School Commission created in Section 160.425, RSMo.

What school districts are unaccredited in Missouri?

For a list of accreditation classifications please visit the MO School Improvement Page.

Are sponsors paid any funds for sponsoring charter schools?

Yes. Pursuant to Section 160.400.11, RSMo. – DESE remits 1.5% of the amount of each charter school’s state and local funding to its sponsor, not to exceed $125,000, adjusted for inflation.

What are the expectations for being a sponsor?

Section 160.400.11, RSMo. – DESE remits funds for each charter school to the school’s sponsor, provided the sponsor remains in good standing by fulfilling its sponsorship obligations under Sections 160.400 to 160.425 and 167.349, RSMo. with regard to each charter school it sponsors, including appropriate demonstrations of the following:

1. Expends no less than ninety percent of its charter school sponsorship funds in support of its charter school sponsorship program, or as a direct investment in the sponsored schools; 

2. Maintains a comprehensive application process that follows fair procedures and rigorous criteria and grants charters only to those developers who demonstrate strong capacity for establishing and operating a quality charter school;

3. Negotiates contracts with charter schools that clearly articulate the rights and responsibilities of each party regarding school autonomy, expected outcomes, measures for evaluating success or failure, performance consequences based on the annual performance report, and other material terms;

4. Conducts contract oversight that evaluates performance, monitors compliance, informs intervention and renewal decisions, and ensures autonomy provided under applicable law; and 

5. Designs and implements a transparent and rigorous process that uses comprehensive data to make merit-based renewal decisions. 

Section 160.400.12, RSMo. – Sponsors receiving funds under subsection 11 of this section shall be required to submit annual reports to the joint committee on education demonstrating they are in compliance with subsection 17 of this section. 

What is the application process to become a charter school sponsor?

DESE established an application and approval process for all entities eligible to sponsor charters. Guidelines are available and applications for sponsorship must be submitted by February 1. The application includes:

1. Written notification of intent to serve as a charter school sponsor in accordance with applicable rule and regulations;

2. Evidence of the applicant sponsor's budget and personnel capacity;

3. An outline of the request for proposal that the applicant sponsor would, if approved as a charter sponsor, issue to solicit charter school applicants;

4. A performance framework that the sponsor would use to guide the establishment of a charter contract and for ongoing oversight and a description of how it would evaluate its’ charter schools; and

5. The sponsor's renewal, revocation and nonrenewal processes. Refer to Section 160.403 RSMo.

What is the timeline for applying to be a sponsor?

Refer to Section 160.403 RSMo – The timeline for applying to be a chart sponsor is as follows:

• Each interested/eligible sponsor's application must be submitted by February 1.

• Each year, the Department will grant or deny sponsoring authority to a sponsor applicant by April 1

Is a charter school considered a public or private school?

Charter schools are considered public schools.

Can anyone attend a charter school?

A charter school may establish a geographical area around the school whose residents will receive a preference for enrolling in the school, provided that such preferences do not result in the establishment of racially or socioeconomically isolated schools and provided such preferences conform to policies and guidelines established by the state board of education. If capacity is insufficient to enroll all pupils who submit a timely application, the charter school shall have an admissions process lottery that assures all applicants of an equal chance of gaining admission.

What restrictions are placed on charter board members?

No member of the governing board of a charter school shall hold any office or employment from the board or the charter school while serving as a member, nor shall the member have any substantial interest, as defined in Section 105.450, in any entity employed by or contracting with the board. No board member shall be an employee of a company that provides substantial services to the charter school. All members of the governing board of the charter school shall be considered decision-making public servants as defined in Section 105.450 for the purposes of the financial disclosure requirements contained in Sections105.483, 105.485, 105.487, and 105.489.

The governing body of a charter school is authorized to accept grants, gifts or donations of any kind and to expend or use such grants, gifts or donations. A grant, gift or donation may not be accepted by the governing body if it is subject to any condition contrary to law applicable to the charter school or other public schools, or contrary to the terms of the charter.

What is the process for opening a new charter school?

If a charter is approved by an approved sponsor, the charter application shall be submitted to the State Board of Education, including:

1. A statement of finding that the application meets the requirements of the charter school law; and

2. A monitoring plan under which the charter sponsor shall evaluate the academic performance of students enrolled in the charter school.

The state board of education may, within sixty days, disapprove the granting of the charter. The state board of education may disapprove a charter on grounds that the application fails to meet the requirements of the law or that a charter sponsor previously failed to meet the statutory responsibilities of a charter sponsor.

A charter school shall be, as provided in its charter: nonsectarian, compliant with laws and regulations of the state, county or city relating to health safety, state minimum educational standards, financially accountable, compliant with all federal audit requirements, providing a comprehensive program of instruction, measuring pupil progress, submitting an annual report card, compliant with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding students with disabilities, and numerous other requirements. Refer to Sections 160.400 to 160.425 and 167.349, RSMo.

What is the timeline for opening a charter school?

The law requires that charter school applications have to be approved by January 31st for opening the following fall. For an application to be reviewed by DESE and approved by the State Board of Education, the application must be submitted before November 10th. The writing of an application by a charter board, as well as the application for all necessary nonprofit status and incorporation usually takes six to 12 months.​

How are state funds distributed to charter schools?

Charter schools receive funding just like other public school/LEAs. They report their Average Daily Attendance through the core data system at the Department.

Do charter schools have to participate in the state wide testing program?

Yes, charter schools must participate in the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP).

Are charter school MAP scores published somewhere?

Yes, all charter and public school test scores are available through the Missouri Comprehensive Data System (MCDS) at http://mcds.dese.mo.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Some Missouri charter schools have closed in recent years. How did this happen?

Closure of charter schools in Missouri has occurred for a variety of reasons including poor academic performance, financial distress or unsafe conditions. Sometimes the charter school boards make the decision to close a charter school because the school is financially insolvent. Other schools have closed because the school did not reach the goals agreed upon with their sponsors, so the sponsor closed them. Others have closed because their sponsor ceased being their sponsor due to poor performance.

Once a charter school is approved, what is the term of the initial charter?

Charter schools are initially approved for five-year terms.

Do teachers and administrators have to be certified to work in a charter school ?

Yes, teachers must be certificated to work in a charter school. There is a provision given in Missouri Charter School Law for charter schools in Missouri to have 80 percent of their teachers certificated and 20 percent qualified to teach with certification in other states, countries, etc.

Are charter schools responsible for all accountability measures expected of public schools in the state?

Charter schools are held accountable for all performance standards applicable to the grades served in the school. 

Do charter schools offer summer schools like other public schools?

Like any public school, charter schools have the option to offer a 120 hour summer school. Many charter schools do, but it is a local decision that is made by the charter board.

What are the evaluation criteria to be considered for Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled?

Essentially, the student must be functioning overall in the severe range of ability (including adaptive behavior) of below four standard deviations below the mean and MSSD must be the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) for the student. Both criteria must be met. Decisions on eligibility are made by a team of MSSD personnel and the decision on such eligibility is not appealable. The home district may resubmit new information for consideration, but all information previously submitted will also be included in the decision-making process. It is incumbent on MSSD to ensure that a student is appropriate for placement in our District.

The answers in the Justification for Separate School Placement (JOP) are used when determining whether or not MSSD would be the LRE for the student. 

What is the next step once the local school district has been notified that a student has been found eligible for MSSD?

The IEP team must determine if a referral to MSSD is the most appropriate placement for the student to receive a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). The IEP team should also consider the range of placement options available for the student. Once considered, the district may refer the student to the MSSD program by submitting the referral form (sent to local district with eligible for MSSD letter), a copy of the amended IEP (the amend IEP reflects 1800 minutes of service per week) and a copy of the Notice of Action.

The district shall submit the referral only after the parents have been offered all rights available to them in relation to the Procedural Safeguards.

Upon receipt of the referral information, enrollment papers will be mailed to the parent by MSSD.

Within thirty (30) days following initial enrollment of the student in the MSSD, an IEP/placement review conference shall be held. The purpose of this review is to confirm the appropriateness of continued placement in the MSSD as the LRE to provide a free appropriate public education for the student.

What is adapted physical education?

Adapted physical education is specially designed instruction provided to students who are unable to participate in a regular physical education class, even with modifications, accommodations or supplementary aids and services. Adapted P.E. includes special P.E., adapted P.E., movement education, and motor development. It is considered a special education service.

What is the goal of adapted physical education?

The primary goal of adapted physical education should be to ensure that the child is provided with physical education services that meet his/her unique needs. A consideration of the IEP team when determining if the child needs an adapted program would be the safety of the student. Another consideration would be the development of the student’s motor skills. Adapted physical education programs strive to ensure that each student actively participates in physical education programs at his or her own level and that the student is integrated into the regular education program whenever possible. Other goals might include assisting students to develop self-esteem, further socialization skills, and promote sportsmanship.

What makes a child eligible for adapted physical education?

The IEP team determines whether a student requires adapted physical education or is able to participate in regular physical education. Federal Regulations under IDEA (300.108) states: “Physical education services, specially designed if necessary, must be made available to every child with a disability receiving FAPE, unless the public agency enrolls children without disabilities and does not provide physical education to children without disabilities in the same grades. Each child with a disability must be afforded the opportunity to participate in the regular physical education program available to nondisabled children unless: (1) the child is enrolled full time in a separate facility; or (2) the child needs specially designed physical education, as prescribed in the child’s IEP.” When developing an IEP, regular PE would be the first consideration. If necessary, the team would next consider regular PE with accommodations or modifications to the curriculum and/or performance expectations. If these two models are not appropriate, the team may determine that adapted PE services are necessary in the child’s IEP to assist the student in a parallel physical education curriculum. Adapted physical education is not a related service. Related services, such as OT and PT cannot be considered a substitute for physical education.

What are the qualifications for an adapted physical education teacher?

The adapted PE service may be provided by a physical education teacher or a special education teacher. This is one circumstance in which it is not necessary that the specialized instruction be provided by a teacher certificated in special education.

What is the role of the adapted physical education teacher?

The individual providing the adapted physical education should collaborate with the occupational therapist, the physical therapist, the special education teacher and/or the physical education teacher to meet the child’s needs related to:

  • health and safety, including specific medical needs.
  • modifications of equipment or the environment.
  • specific sensorimotor programming.
  • specific play or leisure needs.
  • activities of daily living related to physical education such as dressing, showering or toileting.
  • positioning during exercises and games.
  • access to the general curriculum. 

Should all students with disabilities receive adapted physical education services?

No. Many children do quite well in regular physical education with or without modifications/accommodations or support help, and they benefit from being with their non-disabled peers.

Where is the provision of adapted PE shown on the IEP?

It is shown as a special education service in the services summary section.

Are there age requirements for the elementary and high school programs? Can students of one age take courses from another program?

Younger students are permitted to take higher level courses. When older students  take elementary classes, they may not earn credit for completing elementary classes.  However, if an IEP team determines that the child needs a certain level of course work that is offered by MoVIP  the IEP will be implemented as it is written.

If a student enters the program in fall 2012 but does not finish until spring 2017, does that student have to meet the new exit requirements?

The new grade point average requirements (2.75 cumulative, 3.00 content, and 3.00 professional education) will be in effect for all candidates applying for educator certification beginning in spring 2017. Yes, the candidates who entered educator preparation programs in fall 2012 will need to meet the new GPA requirements if they complete their work during the Spring Semester of 2017.

I would like to know when these changes will be announced and what we need to do to prepare for these changes?

Memos were sent to the educator preparation programs for distribution to students, faculty/staff, and educator preparation leaders on January 15, 2013.  The CollegeBASE will not be administered as an entry assessment for teacher preparation after December 31, 2013.  There are four remaining dates when candidates can take the complete test and the individual subtests.  The remaining 2013 test dates are:  March 16-23, June 10-15, and July 29-August 3.  Candidates who need to pass one or more of the subtests will need to pass those on one of two remaining test dates:  September 24-31 and November 18-23.  Candidates who have not passed the complete assessment will have to pass the new test beginning on January 1, 2014.

I just want to be clear on the administration of the CBASE. If students pass all sections, they have met the requirement. For those who did not pass all sections of the CBASE, will there be remaining test windows in 2013?

Candidates who have passed all sections of the CollegeBASE prior to September 1, 2013 will have met the general education requirement.  After that date, candidates who need to pass one or more subtests, will have two remaining 2013 test windows: September 14-21 and November 18-23.

When are the last opportunities to pass remaining CBASE subtests only?

In response to questions 2 and 3, candidates who have passed all sections of the CollegeBASE prior to September 1, 2013 will have met the general education requirement.  After that date, candidates who need to pass one or more subtests, will have two remaining 2013 test windows: September 14-21 and November 18-23

When will the new test be administered and will it be similar to CBASE?

The new assessment will be similar with having subtests in English/language arts, writing, mathematics, science, and social science.  The new test will be available starting September 23, 2013.

I am a freshman Education major and just started class. I have not taken any of my education classes yet. Do I need to take the CBASE test now? I am not quite sure I am ready to take it, but if it is required to take now then I will sign up.

We would suggest that you wait and take the new general education assessment. The MoGEA will be offered beginning in September 2013. Information related to registration, testing dates, locations, and preparation materials will be released in April.

Will the MoGEA resemble the CBASE in that it will require a minimum score?

MoGEA will resemble the CollegeBASE. The assessment will have subtests for English/language arts, writing, mathematics, science, and social science. The writing exercise will focus on a topic related to education.  There will be Missouri Qualifying Scores established for each of the subtests. The Missouri Qualifying Scores will be set by the Missouri State Board of Education.

If the focus is on the date of completion, rather than the date of entrance, we could potentially have several students who have been in the program but will now need to meet the new GPA requirement.

The new grade point average requirements (2.75 cumulative, 3.00 content, and 3.00 professional education) will be in effect for all candidates applying for educator certification beginning in spring 2017.  Yes, the candidates who entered educator preparation programs in fall 2012 will need to meet the new GPA requirements if they complete their work during the Spring Semester of 2017.

What is the difference between medical homebound and IEP Placement for homebound?

School districts can, and usually do, provide homebound services to students who are not disabled, for reasons such as surgery, accidents, pregnancies, or prolonged illness. There is not a state statute or regulation that specifically addresses this, but the department does allow these students to be counted for state aid if the level of homebound services is at least 5 hours per week.

For students who receive services through an IEP, homebound is part of the continuum of educational placements that are considered when discussing what would be the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) for a student to receive their services. Homebound is a very restrictive placement. Students are entitled to all special education and related services set forth in the IEP while on homebound placement. 

My child’s placement has been changed to Homebound by the IEP Team. I was told he could only receive 5 hours of homebound instruction per week. Is this correct?

Students are entitled to receive a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) that allows them to make progress toward the general education curriculum as well as make progress toward meeting their IEP goals. A student with a disability who receives at least 5 hours of instruction per week can be counted for full attendance for funding purposes, but the amount of instruction a student receives is an IEP Team decision. Students with disabilities must receive sufficient homebound instruction to be provided with FAPE. In general, five hours a week of homebound instruction is not considered FAPE for a student with an IEP. 

A student was placed on homebound but the district doesn’t have anyone available to provide services and states that it may take weeks, what happens in the mean time?

Homebound services should be started as soon as possible. The district should vigorously seek a qualified instructor and document the attempts. All delays should be explained to the parent/guardian.

If the district experiences a delay in providing the homebound instructor, the district shall develop a plan to provide instruction and ensure the delay does not hinder progress. For students with IEPs, if there is any delay in the initiation of services or any interruption in the services, the IEP team must meet and determine whether compensatory services for the student are warranted due to the delay or interruption in service. (IDEA Federal Regulations 300.323 (2)). 

A student with a disability has been suspended over 10 days cumulative this school year (no change of placement), what services should be provided?

A student who has been given multiple short term suspensions totaling more than 10 days in a school year is not long term suspended and has not had a change of placement so long as no “pattern” of suspension has been created. When a student with a disability has been suspended for more than 10 days in a school year, but is not long-term suspended, the school district administration, in consultation with the child’s teacher, will determine which services are needed to enable the child to continue to participate in the general education curriculum, although in another setting, and to progress toward meeting the goals set out in the child’s IEP. (IDEA Federal Regulations 300.530(d)). 

A student with a disability has been suspended over 10 days consecutively (change of placement), what services should be provided?

The IEP team determines placement and changes in placement. Homebound placement may be an appropriate option to consider as well as other options including: alternative schools or contractual arrangements with other districts’ private agencies.

If the removal is a change of placement, the child’s IEP team also determines the appropriate services to be provided to enable the child to continue to participate in the general education curriculum, although in another setting, and to progress toward meeting the goals set out in the child’s IEP. Only providing the missed homework or class work is NOT a provision of special education or related services under IDEA. (IDEA Federal Regulations 300.530(d)). 

If an IEP student who has been long-term suspended or expelled is placed on homebound to receive continued services, does the school district have to award credit? Is this an IEP team decision?

This is NOT an IEP team decision, but rather is left up to the school district's administration. IDEA does not require or prohibit that credit be awarded in such a situation. IDEA only requires the continued services. Whether to award credit is a decision to be made by the district; it is recommended the school district consult with their lawyer on this issue as there has been at least one Missouri court decision on the awarding of credit to a student suspended (he was not special education).

A doctor states a child cannot attend school and should be put on homebound. What if the school disagrees?

Educational decisions are made by the district. Medical documentation is relevant to determining the need for homebound services but the decision is not made by the physician. If the student has an IEP, the IEP team will make the decision on homebound services and placements. Parents who disagree with that decision have the rights set forth in the Procedural Safeguards, including filing a Child Complaint or a Due Process. The Procedural Safeguards can be found at the following link:


A student without an IEP will be considered truant if that student does not attend school for an extended period and the district has not approved homebound instruction. Parents may choose to homeschool a student in this situation. Homeschooled students are not truant. 


A child with an IEP is receiving homebound services. Does the homebound teacher have to be a special education teacher?

No. The homebound teacher must have either teacher certification or a substitute certificate. It is expected that a homebound teacher who is not a special education teacher will be working with the child’s special education case manager who does have special education teacher certification. 

When a child is receiving homebound instruction, is travel time calculated into the number of hours provided?

No. Travel time and prep time cannot be calculated as part of instructional homebound minutes. Homebound instruction is only the actual time that the student and the homebound teacher are working together. 

Must homebound occur in the student’s home?

No. It is the school’s decision where homebound services will be provided. Sometimes districts provide what they refer to as “homebound” in a “neutral” site such as a library or other public location. It is best to clearly identify the location that the homebound instruction will take place in the IEP so that there is no confusion about what is meant by “homebound”. 

If a child is placed on homebound, are they required to participate in state testing such as Grade-Level assessment including the MAP and MAP-A or The End Of Course Exam (EOC) testing?

Yes. Students who are receiving homebound services must take the Grade-Level Assessments (MAP, MAP-A) unless they have a medical waiver. Test examiners of homebound students must receive training in the administration of Grade-Level Assessments. Information on medical waivers can be obtained by contacting the Accountability Data Section in the office of Data System Management (573-526-4886). Requests for medical waivers are reviewed by a committee composed of Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) personnel from several DESE divisions. This committee is responsible for approving or denying the requests for medical waivers.

For EOC exams, all students must be tested in the required content before graduation, including students who are in special education and those who receive homebound services. Students who receive homebound instruction will not be able to participate in online testing. 

My school district is considering placing my child in the Missouri State School for the Severely Disabled (MSSD), but my child’s educational placement is ‘home bound’. Does my child qualify?

Students who are otherwise eligible for the MSSD based on the severity of the disability will not be accepted if they require permanent homebound placement because such a restrictive placement requirement would not allow attendance at a separate day program such as MSSD. Students who would otherwise qualify and require only intermittent homebound placement would be accepted for placement. (DESE State Plan – Regulation X State Operated Programs).

Is there a set amount of credits a student can receive each semester when on homebound?

No. This is a local district decision.

Are school districts required to submit applications for reimbursement for services provided to homebound students?

No, Due to recent changes in the funding mechanism, it is no longer necessary for school districts to submit homebound applications to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education as there is no special funding/reimbursement for school districts that are providing students with homebound services; all funding has been rolled into the foundation formula funding.  This applies to students with and without disabilities.

For documentation purposes, some districts may decide to continue to use the DESE Homebound Instruction Application found on our website.  However, it is important to remember this form is to be used for the district's documentation purposes only and should NOT be sent to DESE.



Where do I get information about claiming hours for state aid purposes when a student is receiving homebound services for medical purposes.

Claiming hours for state aid is addressed in the Attendance Hour Reporting document.  

Can the initial charter be extended?

Refer to Section 160.405.9, RSMo. – the sponsor considers a comprehensive body of evidence to determine if the charter should be renewed. If the sponsor is convinced the charter school has met their criteria for renewal, the sponsor shall submit a renewal application to the State Board of Education for approval. Charter terms are for five years.

Is the renewal process different for high performing charter schools?

Refer to Section 160.405.9(2)(d), RSMo. – Charter schools with APR scores consistent with a classification of accredited for 3 out of the last 4 years are eligible for an expedited renewal.

Refer to Section 160.408, RSMo. – Charter schools with APR scores 85% or greater for 3 out of the last 4 years are high-quality charter schools. High-quality charter schools are eligible for a renewal up to ten years and are eligible for expedited expansion and replication..

How do I become a paraprofessional and do I need to be certified?

Paraprofessionals are required to hold a substitute certificate or have passed the ParaPro Assessment (MEGA) in order to work under the direct supervision of an appropriately certified teacher to provide instructional assistance. The Paraprofessional Assessment is also required for individuals seeking to be employed as teaching assistants residing in Title I schools.

 Learn about how to get your substitute certification here: https://dese.mo.gov/educator-quality/certification/substitute-teachers

Learn more about the ParaPro Assessment here: http://www.mo.nesinc.com/TestView.aspx?f=HTML_FRAG/SA001_TestPage.html

Note: Paraprofessionals cannot have a caseload.

For more information about paraprofessionals, please see the Consolidated Federal Programs Administrative Manual

Where is data for early childhood non-disabled (pre-school) transportation reported?

Because early childhood, non-disabled pre-school students are not required under state law to be transported these students are considered ineligible for state transportation aid.  There is no ridership collected for these students and the miles are reported as ineligible-disapproved route miles.

Who do I contact if I have questions about public school transportation?

DESE Student Transportation

MoDOT, Office of Highway Safety
Child Restraint Systems and Seat Belt Information

MO Department of Revenue
License Issuances