Missouri Regional Teacher of the Year Program
The Regional Teacher of the Year program is designed to focus public attention on excellence in teaching and to honor classroom teachers in all regions of Missouri.
Regional Teacher of the Year Application & Clinic Information
- If you have been invited to apply for Regional Teacher of the Year or are the District selected Teacher of the Year, please click the link below to complete the application. The deadline for entries is 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 14, 2021.
- To preview the Regional Teacher of the Year Application Essay Questions, please click the link below. Please note that all essay questions have a word limit. It is advised that applicants utilize a word processing program to type their essay and verify they have met the word limit requirements for each essay before pasting their essays into the application. Also below is the Regional Teacher of the Year Application Essay Rubric. This rubric will be used to evaluate your essay responses.
- If you are a principal or superintendent of a Regional Teacher of the Year Applicant, please click the link below to submit your digital signature. All applications must have approval from their principal and superintendent in order to be consider for Regional Teacher of the Year.
- A Teacher of the Year Clinic will be held on May 7, 2021. The clinic is designed to help to support teachers in the application process.
- To nominate a teacher for the 2022 Regional Teacher of the Year award, please visit this website (when available) and fill out the form. Nominations for the 2022 award MUST be completed using the online form above. Submitted PDF applications will not be accepted. If you have any questions about the online form, please contact Curtis Terry.
- The deadline for nominations is Thursday, April 15, 2021.
- Full-time public or charter school teachers who hold a valid Missouri Teaching Certificate
- Candidates must be highly respected by students, parents, colleagues and the community
- Candidates must play an active role in the school community providing service and leadership
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate a strong ability to foster excellence in education through improved student learning
All eligible Regional Teacher of the Year applications will be sent to the appropriate Regional Service Center. Each Service Centers will have a regional selection committee composed of individuals from the teacher organizations; administrator organizations; and higher education. Thirty-four Regional Teachers of the Year will be chosen based on regional student population.
- Northeast – 2
- Northwest – 2
- South Central – 2
- Central – 2
- Southeast – 2
- Heart of Missouri – 3
- Southwest RPDC – 3
- Kansas City – 6
- St. Louis – 10
- Southwest Center - 2
Districts participating in the Teacher of the Year Program have found the program to have a positive impact on the entire community. Recognizing outstanding teachers: a) establishes a culture that rewards excellence in teaching; b) validates the work of teachers; c) provides teachers with a platform to speak about educational issues; d) gives students a sense of pride in their teachers; e) showcases teachers as positive role models; f) encourages students to think about teaching as a career; g) gives the community a sense of pride in its teachers; and h) helps to get the public involved and invested in the schools.
- $250 Cash Award from Regional Service Center
- Recognition banquet sponsored by the Missouri State Board of Education
- Regional Teacher of the Year plaque
- Regional Teacher of the Year name tag
All Regional Teachers of the Year, their respective spouses/significant others, building level principal, superintendent and school board president will be invited and recognized at the Missouri State Teacher of the Year Awards Banquet in October.