News and Updates
Equitable Access to Excellent Education
Preparing, developing and supporting effective educators is one of the ways Missouri is working to ensure that all Missouri students become college and career ready. Missouri created a plan to recruit, prepare and retain effective teachers for all public schoolchildren in the state, especially in high-poverty, high-minority or rural districts. Learn more below about Missouri's plan and what other districts are doing to ensure all students have access to effective educators.
Educator Preparation Certification Transition Information
The Department has developed the processes for the Transition from the Missouri Standards for Teacher Education Programs (MoSTEP) to the Missouri Standards for the Preparation of Educators (MoSPE). An online Educator Preparation directory has been developed to help in this transition. Additional Information
Missouri Supporting Educator Evaluation – A Teacher Observation and Feedback Initiative
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), Missouri Association of Elementary School Principals (MAESP), Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals (MASSP), and Missouri Professors of Educational Administration (MPEA) are collaborating to train principals and aspiring principals to conduct accurate teacher observations and provide effective evidence-based feedback. Essential training will be provided through the newly developed Missouri Observation Simulation Tool (MOST) and include:
- Videos tagged to specific indicators in the state’s model educator evaluation system.
- A process for scoring each video aligned to Missouri’s growth guides.
- Instant individual rating comparison to state benchmark ratings and rationale.
- Sample feedback information to promote reflection and improvement.
Training will also be provided by Mike Rutherford (http://www.rutherfordlg.com/), a national expert on feedback. Principals will learn basic feedback tools to promote continuous improvement of teacher practices resulting in higher levels of student learning.
Newly developed skills in observation and feedback for participating principals will be supported through regional communities of practice sponsored and coordinated by MAESP and MASSP. MPEA members are invited to participate as a strategy for aligning effective practice and preparation for educator administration.
Take advantage of this unique and powerful professional learning opportunity today! Please click here for the brochure with additional information and registration.
Educator Growth Toolbox Launches
The Educator Growth Toolbox is a one-stop destination where district administrators can find all the tools they need to enhance educator effectiveness. The toolbox shares all of the state's resources on evaluation, observations, professional learning, student growth measures and more. Make sure and check it out.
- MEGA Overview - In preparing for quality teachers and administrators, Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA) is one piece of the puzzle. Check out our brochure and flier.
- Improving students’ learning requires the improvement of the effective practice of those teaching in classrooms and providing leadership in schools. As such, Missouri’s Model Evaluation System focuses on the formative development of teachers and leaders.