School Readiness Tool
The State Board of Education recently adopted an instrument for early childhood readiness in Missouri after reviewing the results of a year-long pilot. The recommended voluntary early childhood readiness tool is the Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) instrument developed by the California Department of Education. This instrument will provide useful information to parents, child care providers, teachers and administrators about the learning and development of each student.
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (the Department’s) Top 10 by 20 initiative calls for ensuring all children enter kindergarten prepared for school success. The State Board has recently approved a revision to the existing Early Learning Goals, setting a clear path for guiding growth and development of children prior to kindergarten entry. The adoption of the DRDP will continue to support the Department’s initiative to:
- Close the school readiness gap and inform decisions about policies and practices.
- Align programs for children birth to third grade.
- Improve young children’s learning experiences, including informing instruction and services.
- Inform professional development processes for parents, caregivers, and teachers of young children.
The benefits of using the DRDP are as follows:
- Alignment to the existing Missouri Early Learning Goals.
- Inclusive of all young children, including children with disabilities or varied abilities and children of various backgrounds and cultures.
- To inform, support, and monitor learning over time for an individual child or groups of children participating in an early learning program.
- Use of a variety of methods to inform the assessment such as observations, interviews and a collection of children’s work.
For the Early Learning Goals, check the Publications link
DRDP Tech Training
WestEd, under contract with the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Early Learning Section is providing DRDP Tech training at no cost to agencies. This is an hour and thirty minute online training that provides a general overview of DRDP Tech, including how to rate measures and run reports. Please note that credit is not available for this training. Online training will be offered on May 31, 2016, 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm CST.
After you register and are approved by the host, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for joining the session. For questions, please contact Cynthia Dioone at 805-305-1788 or [email protected].
DRDP Teacher Training Opportunities
DRDP is a research based observational assessment for programs serving preschool age children. Teachers, teacher assistants, paraprofessionals and administrators are encouraged to register for this two-day training.
Training is presented through the Regional Professional Development Centers. The certified trainers will be presenting this two-day training to staff and administrators that work with preschool age children. Currently there is no registration fee for this training. For training in your region, check the Regional Professional Development Center's website that services your area for the next available two-day session.
- Desired Results Developmental Profile (2015) - Missouri Guidance
- Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) Forms (under Forms for Preschool)