School Readiness Tool
The State Board of Education recently adopted an instrument for early childhood readiness in Missouri after reviewing the results of a year-long pilot. The recommended voluntary early childhood readiness tool is the Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) instrument developed by the California Department of Education. This instrument will provide useful information to parents, child care providers, teachers and administrators about the learning and development of each student.
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (the Department’s) Top 10 by 20 initiative calls for ensuring all children enter kindergarten prepared for school success. The State Board has recently approved a revision to the existing Early Learning Goals, setting a clear path for guiding growth and development of children prior to kindergarten entry. The adoption of the DRDP will continue to support the Department’s initiative to:
- Close the school readiness gap and inform decisions about policies and practices.
- Align programs for children birth to third grade.
- Improve young children’s learning experiences, including informing instruction and services.
- Inform professional development processes for parents, caregivers, and teachers of young children.
The benefits of using the DRDP are as follows:
- Alignment to the existing Missouri Early Learning Goals.
- Inclusive of all young children, including children with disabilities or varied abilities and children of various backgrounds and cultures.
- To inform, support, and monitor learning over time for an individual child or groups of children participating in an early learning program.
- Use of a variety of methods to inform the assessment such as observations, interviews and a collection of children’s work.
For the Early Learning Goals, check the Publications link
DRDP Teacher Training Opportunities
DRDP is a research based observational assessment for programs serving preschool age children. Teachers, teacher assistants, paraprofessionals and administrators are encouraged to register for day one training (Desired Results Developmental Profile) and day two training (Meaningful Observation for the DRDP). Training opportunities can be found on the Missouri Workshop Calendar.
- Desired Results Developmental Profile (2015) - Missouri Guidance
- Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP) Forms (under Forms for Preschool)