The Child Care Health Consultation (CCHC) Program is a collaborative program between DESE's Office of Childhood and Local Public Health Agencies (LPHAs) throughout Missouri. The program provides funding for contracting LPHAs to address health and safety issues in child care, enhance child care health and safety practices, and provide outreach to child care providers — including those that serve child care subsidy children. Missouri’s LPHAs provide CCHC program services to child care providers and the children in their care at little or no cost to child care providers, therefore giving the opportunity for all child care providers to care for children in the safest and healthiest environments possible.
The CCHC Program enhances child care health and safety practices through the Caring for Our Children National Health and Safety Performance Standards: Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs guidelines, including guidelines for the role of a Child Care Health Consultant, to ensure all children have the ability to thrive in safe and healthy child care environments.
The CCHC Program uses nurses and other professional staff at Missouri’s LPHAs to provide program services. Each LPHA designates a Registered Nurse at their agency to serve as the Primary CCHC Consultant. The Primary CCHC Consultant coordinates the program by working with health educators, professional staff, and local community subject matter experts to build a strong rapport with the child care providers in their area. CCHC Program nurses and trainers work diligently to enhance the knowledge of child care providers, the children in their care, and their families regarding emerging and priority health issues in Missouri. In doing so, they form one of the largest training and resource networks in Missouri.
- Who is eligible for CCHC Program services?
Child care providers, children in their care, and families of children in child care residing in a county whose LPHA accepts the CCHC contract, or a county whose neighboring county LPHA accepts the CCHC contract on their behalf.
- Which LPHAs accept the CCHC Program contract?
Child Care Health Consultation (CCHC) Map and Contact Information
- Child Care Health Consultation brochure
- Which services are provided under the CCHC Program?
- Health and Safety Consultation for child care providers on health and safety issues in the child care setting.
- Health Issue Trainings (Clock Hour Trainings) for child care providers to assist them in meeting annual training requirements and enhance their knowledge of health and safety topics in the child care setting.
- Health Promotions for children in child care that encourage healthy behaviors and optimal growth and development and are delivered with fun, developmentally appropriate, and engaging presentations.
- Family Members of children in child care are encouraged to participate in any CCHC Program service provided.
- Which health and safety topics do CCHC Program services address?
Topics include but are not limited to:
• Child Abuse and Neglect
• Children with Special Health Care Needs
• Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
• Environmental Health
• Illness and Infectious Diseases
• Infant and Child Social and Emotional Wellbeing
• Medication Administration
• Nutrition and Physical Activity
• Oral Health
• Safety and Injury Prevention
• Staff Health and Wellness
- CCHC Program Contact Information
Tara Caldwell, BSN, RN
Physical Office Location:
Jefferson State Office Building
205 Jefferson St., 1st Floor
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Office of Childhood
PO Box 480
Jefferson City, MO 65102