On January 7, 2022, Governor Parson signed Executive Order 22-01 creating the Missouri Early Childhood State Advisory Council. With this executive order, the State Interagency Coordinating Council (SICC) for the First Steps early intervention program was consolidated into the state advisory council, which membership mirrors the SICC.
According to Article 3 of the SICC Bylaws, the role of the SICC is to advise and assist the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) in the performance of responsibilities as stated in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Part C Program for infants and toddlers with disabilities. Responsibilities include the following:
- Identification of program supports and services
- Promotion of interagency agreements
- Transition of toddlers with disabilities to preschool
- Report annually to the Governor and Secretary of Education on the status of early intervention programs for infants and toddlers with disabilities and their families
- Advise other appropriate agencies in the State about the integration of services for infants and toddlers and their families.