Priority standards serve as a solid frame upon which specific teaching and learning decisions are built. They identify what students need to know but not how students learn or how teachers teach. Teachers can use these essential, enduring skills or concepts when developing units to help their students master the big ideas defined by the priority and supporting standards within their grade-level, content area or course.
When teachers have the ability to plan where in the curriculum standards are taught, when in the school year they are addressed and how in the classroom they are emphasized, it allows for both a big picture and a granular view. This perspective leads to the very conversations that strengthen instructional practices and lead to student growth over time.
Being proficient in the big ideas highlighted in the priority standards is crucial to mastery of the Missouri Learning Standards. By supporting student understanding through the priority standards, teachers can make meaningful decisions that influence student progress and achievement kindergarten through 12th grade.
K-12 Priority Missouri Learning Standards
Access to the final versions of the priority Missouri Learning Standards are available via each content area link below.
The three dimensional Missouri Learning Standards in Science, adapted from A Framework for K-12 Science Education (NRC, 2012), prioritized content as the standards were developed. As a result, the work in science will focus on providing resources to support implementation.
- Additional Resources
- Learning Acceleration and Priority Standards
- Task Force for Learning Acceleration - Power in the Process: The Why Behind Priority Standards
- Previous Content And Affiliated Stakeholder Meetings
- ELA Content Meeting - Thursday, February 25, 2021, 3:30-5:30 PM
- Mathematics Content Meeting - Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 1:00-3:00 PM
- Social Studies Content Meeting - Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 9:00-11:00 AM
- Missouri Higher Education Content Leads - Thursday, November 12, 11:00-12:30 PM
- Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development - Thursday, November 12, 11:00-12:30 PM
- Monthly Learning Acceleration Collaborative Meeting - Monday, November 2, 2020, 3:45-4:45 PM
- Missouri Council for History Education Board of Directors - November 2020
- Missouri Literacy Association and Missouri Council of Teachers of English - Monday, November 16, 3:30-5:00 PM
- Social Studies Content Meeting - Wednesday, October 28, 202,0 9:30-11:00 AM
- ELA Content Meeting - Wednesday, October 21, 2020 (Grades 6-12, 10:30-11:30 AM) (Grades K-5, 2:00-3:00 PM)
- Science Teachers of Missouri - Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:00-7:00 PM
- Math Content Meeting - Wednesday, October 14, 2020 1:00-3:00 PM
- Missouri Council of Teachers of Mathematics - Wednesday, October 8, 2020, 11:00-12:00 PM
- National Science Content Experts - Wednesday, October 7, 2020
- Science Content Meeting - Monday, October 5, 2020 10:00- 11:30 AM
- Missouri Council for the Social Studies Executive Board Meeting - Saturday, October 3, 2020, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM