Registered Youth Apprenticeships - for Parents and Students
Missouri's Registered Youth Apprenticeship program allows students across the state the opportunity to participate in a structured combination of school-based and work-based learning. As part of the Department's Top 10 by 20 initiative, the Registered Youth Apprenticeship program addresses the dual role of both preparing career-ready students while also providing Missouri with a highly skilled, technologically competitive workforce. Students are provided the opportunity to remain enrolled in academic classes designed to meet high school graduation requirements while at the same time partnering with local business and industry leaders for shadowing and hands-on learning experiences.
For Parents and Students
- Apprenticeships are a great way for students to get on-the-job training as they put their classroom knowledge and skills to work for a business. Some apprenticeships even offer college credit or the opportunity to earn nationally recognized certification.
- Apprenticeships can help improve student engagement. Students must finish high school before they can finish their apprenticeship, so there is an added incentive for kids to stay in school.
- Apprenticeships may be reflected in a school district’s graduate follow-up report. All students in an apprenticeship program can be reported as employed.
- Students not only gain employable skills in an apprenticeship, they can also earn a decent wage to help pay for books, college tuition and clothing, or to start a savings account.
- School districts/career centers/postsecondary institutions can own these programs as intermediaries and do not have to be associated with a union to operate.
- Apprenticeships can be a rewarding – and challenging – beginning to a successful career. Gaining industry experience is a vital step in getting a first job. Students are able to gain experience along with greater confidence by becoming an industry apprentice.
For More Information
Contact: Dr. Oscar Carter, DESE/Skilled Technical Services, 573-522-5804