Become Certified as a Career Education Teacher
To BECOME CERTIFIED as a Career Education Teacher in Missouri:
- You need to determine your eligibility for a Career Education temporary authorization certificate (CTAC)
Career Education Temporary authorization route to certification: An individual with closely related occupational experience takes a prescribed list of coursework, teaches for a minimum of two years, and is mentored by the employing school district. The individual works under a one-year, renewable certificate that requires the completion of six (6) semester hours of college credit each year in order to be renewed.
- Must be employed by a Career Technical Center or school district with an approved program for Career Technical Education
- Must possess one of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university and four thousand (4,000) hours of Department-approved, closely related occupational experience obtained within the past ten (10) years; or
- Associate's degree from an accredited college or university and five thousand (5,000) hours of Department-approved, closely related occupational experience within the past ten (10) years; or
- No degree and six thousand (6,000) hours of Department-approved, closely related occupational experience obtained within the past ten (10) years.
Note: Applicants for the specific area of ROTC must submit a notarized letter from the appropriate branch of the armed services indicating that applicant is an approved Junior ROTC instructor
- You need to apply for a Career Education temporary authorization certificate (CTAC)
- You hold a Career Education temporary authorization certificate (CTAC) and have completed the requirements to upgrade to an initial career education certificate (ICEC)
- Complete online Upgrade Vocational/Career application
- Submit original transcripts showing completion of required coursework to Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102. Please be sure your complete social security number or educator ID is listed on each transcript. We are unable to accept faxed, scanned, emailed or photocopies of transcripts.
TO LOG INTO YOUR ONLINE EDUCATOR PROFILE
To access your certification account (online profile) you must first log into DESE Web Applications with a userid and password, and then choose the Educator Certification System link located on the User Applications page. Your certification account (online profile) provides access to each of the following:
- Apply for a certificate
- Print out a certificate
- View a certificate or pending application
- View assessment scores
- Check for the receipt of transcripts
- Check fingerprint/background status
Please Note: If you have not accessed your certification account in over 12 months, then your account access has been disabled. You will be required to re-register and create a User ID. Please follow these steps:
- Step 1 - Go to: https://apps.dese.mo.gov/webLogin/login.aspx
- Step 2 - Click on "Register"
- Step 3 - Enter the information requested and click "Create User"
- Step 4 - Once the ID has been created, log in with the new User ID and password
- Please note that if the "Create User" button is grayed out, try using a different User ID.
- If you need additional assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-522-3207.