How do I obtain a school bus (S) endorsement?

To obtain a school bus endorsement, you must:

  1. Pass the knowledge and skills test for obtaining a CDL with passenger (P) endorsement (for vehicles that transport 16 or more including the driver) or a Class E (For Hire) license for vehicles that transport 15 or less including the driver.
  2. Pass a knowledge test for an S endorsement.
  3. Pass a driving skills test in a school bus of the same vehicle group as the school bus applicant will drive.
  4. Take your written and skills test results to the local license bureau to apply for a new CDL or Class E license with an S endorsement.
  5. Meet driving history review requirements (completed at the time of application).
  6. Pay the applicable fees for a new license and the required fees for the written and/or skills test.