Frequently Asked Questions: Human Resources
As a new employee, what do I need for my first day?
- You will need to meet with the Human Resources office to complete your employee paperwork.
- You will need to make sure you have submitted a department employment application and college transcripts.
- I-9 Information for the Employment Eligibility Verification form. A driver’s license, social security card, passport or appropriate visa. The department is unable to sponsor applicants in their application for work visas through INS.
Do you keep resumes/applications on file?
- No, we do not keep resumes/applications on file. It is necessary for you submit a
new resume/application for each vacancy you apply for.
How often are DESE employees paid?
- Department employees are paid bi-monthly on the 15th and the last working
day of the month.
How often do we advertise vacancies?
- The department advertises vacancies at the end of each week. The vacancy website
is updated on Mondays.
If I am currently a state employee that is transferring to DESE, how much annual leave may I transfer?
- The department accepts the amount of annual leave the employee is eligible to accrue in one (1) year.
What benefits do you offer?
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Cafeteria Plan
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Missouri State Employees Retirement System (MOSERS)
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Sick and Vacation Leave
- Shared Leave Program
- Parental Leave
What is the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)?
- The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) is the administrative arm of the State Board of Education. It is primarily a service agency that works with educators, legislators, government agencies and citizens to maintain a strong public education system. Through its statewide school improvement initiatives and regulatory functions, DESE strives to assure that all citizens have access to high-quality public education.
What is the process once I submit my resume/application?
- After your resume/application is submitted through our online application system, the hiring committee reviews each resume/application to determine if the applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the position. The committee then selects individuals for interviews. Applicants are then called to schedule an interview. Once a finalist is selected, approval from the division administrator is needed before an offer is made.
What is the timetable for this process?
- The timetable for this process depends on the hiring committee’s schedule in order
to review and schedule interviews.