Recent surveys conducted by the Department reveal educators overwhelmingly support the goals within Missouri’s Top 10 by 20 initiative.
More than 9,000 teachers, administrators and public information officers from around the state participated in surveys regarding Top 10 by 20. The initiative, which began in 2011, calls for Missouri to rank among the top 10 states nationally for education by 2020. It centers around three main goals:
- All Missouri students will graduate high school college and career ready
- All Missouri children will enter kindergarten prepared to be successful in school
- Missouri will prepare, develop and support effective educators
According to the survey, 97 percent of teachers who responded believe that all Missouri students graduating college and career ready is an important goal.
“Top 10 by 20 is about more than a ranking,” Missouri Commissioner of Education Margie Vandeven said. “The three goals will help all Missouri students achieve their own goals for their lives.”
Nearly 98 percent of school administrators surveyed believe it is important that all children enter kindergarten prepared to be successful in school. The surveys also show that educators believe students need greater access to high-quality early childhood programs.
Here are what a few educators had to say about Top 10 by 20 and its goals:
- “The greatest asset within a classroom is still the teacher. Providing students with quality educators is key to their success within the content.”
- “Early exposure to literacy and language are essential to future success. Students who do not get this have a hard time closing the gap, even with very strong remedial interventions.”
- “Students being ready for kindergarten is a prime indicator of whether they will be college and career ready by the end of their school career.”
Learn more about Top 10 by 20 and its goals by visiting the Department’s website. You can also view the state’s progress toward reaching its goals and subscribe to the Department’s Top 10 by 20 e-newsletter.
- Public Information Officers