The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has named this year’s Missouri Gold Star Schools. The program recognizes schools that perform at high academic levels or that perform at high levels while serving a significant proportion of disadvantaged students.
There are eight winning schools:
- Skyline Elementary, Hickory County R-I School District
- Oak Grove Elementary, Poplar Bluff R-I School District
- Becky-David Elementary, Francis Howell R-III School District
- Westchester Elementary, Kirkwood R-VII School District
- Warren Elementary, Francis Howell R-III School District
- James Walker Elementary, Blue Springs R-IV School District
- Conway Elementary, Ladue School District
- Daniel Boone Elementary, Francis Howell R-III School District
“The students, faculty and staff at these eight schools have earned this recognition,” said Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Margie Vandeven. “Their efforts reflect Missouri’s continuing work to prepare every student to succeed in school and in life.”
DESE established the Missouri Gold Star Schools program in 1991. The program aligns with the national Blue Ribbon Schools program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education. The Missouri Gold Star Schools program uses the same criteria for nomination as the National Blue Ribbon Schools program. Recipients of the state’s award were nominated for national Blue Ribbon recognition. Blue Ribbon Schools will be announced this fall by the U.S. Department of Education.