Pursuant to section 2202(a) of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (the Act) (P.L. 116-127), and in light of the exceptional circumstances surrounding COVID-19, USDA Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) has established the following additional nationwide waivers, available to schools that elect to use them:
- Provision 2 Waiver base year 2019-20
- Nationwide Waiver to Extend Area Eligibility Waivers through June 30, 2021
- Area Eligibility Waiver Request (Apply here)
- Nationwide Waiver of Meal Service Time Restrictions in the Seamless Summer Option: This waiver allows meals served outside of the standard meal times. EXTENSION - SEPTEMBER 30.
- Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) Data Waiver: The CEP deadlines are being extended for reporting SY 2019-20 student counts to establish SY 2020-21’s identified student percentage for CEP, as well as for the required notifications and CEP election. No application required.
- Activity Requirement in Afterschool Care Waiver: The requirement for an educational or enrichment activity when serving an afternoon meal/snack under the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or Child and Adult Care Food Program has been waived. This applies to afterschool snacks in the NSLP for schools who currently participate in the Afterschool Snack Program. No application required.
- Waivers of Child Nutrition Monitoring: USDA FNS has issued flexibility to waive certain onsite monitoring requirements for the school meals programs to maintain program integrity and support social distancing while providing meals.
- Local Wellness Policy Triennial Assessment: Nationwide waiver to support schools unable to complete a triennial assessment of the local wellness policies by June 30, 2020.
- FSMC Contract Duration: Nationwide waiver allows flexibility for FSMC contracts that may expire by or around June 30, 2020, may be extended through SY 2020-2021 (June 30, 2021).
- Area Eligibility Statewide Waiver Extension
Back to School Waivers
- Nationwide Waiver Extending Summer Food Service Program and Seamless Summer Option through School Year through June 30, 2021 - Apply Here
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Area Eligibility for Closed Enrolled Sites - EXTENSION #2
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibility for Senior High Schools in the National School Lunch Program for School Year 2020-21
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Meal Service Time Flexibility in the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and Child and Adult Care Food Program – EXTENSION #2
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children – EXTENSION #5
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Meal Pattern Flexibility in the Child Nutrition Programs – EXTENSION #5
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Non-congregate Feeding in the Child Nutrition Programs – EXTENSION #5
- Statewide Potable Water Waiver
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Milk Variety Flexibility and Meal Pattern Flexibility in SFSP and NSLP - Apply Here
Q&A and Resources
- COVID-19 Waivers & Updates FAQ, 6/16/20
- COVID-19 FAQ 4/28/20
- COVID-19 Guidance to Continue Meal Service During the Summer
- Child Nutrition Program Nationwide Waivers: Questions and Answers
- Child Nutrition Program Meal Service during Novel Coronavirus Outbreaks: Questions and Answers
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program during COVID19
- DESE SSO Meals and Safety Resources During COVID-19
- USDA has a Q & A about meal delivery
- Emergency Meals-to-You
- COVID-19 No Kid Hungry Grant Available to Support Coronavirus Response: As coronavirus is closing schools and workplaces nationwide, vulnerable children are losing the school meals they depend on, and low-income families are struggling with lost wages. No Kid Hungry is offering emergency grants to support local school districts and nonprofit organizations in their efforts to ensure kids get the nutritious food they need. Learn more and apply here.
- USDA Questions & Answers: COVID-19 Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and Seamless Summer Option (SSO)
- Questions & Answers for the National School Lunch Program's Seamless Summer Option
- Using USDA Food During a Human Pandemic Outbreak Options for Schools and Communities
- CDC on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions
- USDA Coronavirus (COVID-19) information
USDA Donated Foods Program Disaster Resources
- Requesting replacement of USDA Foods used during closure of COVID-19
- USDA Food Disaster Assistance
- USDA Foods Program Disaster Manual
- FD-093: Q&A related to disaster policies and procedures
- Disaster Response USDA Memo
- Disaster Relief/Summer Storage
- Food and Nutrition Services Disaster Assistance