High School Equivalency
High School Equivalency Test
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education selected a new high school equivalency test that started January 2014. Missouri's high school equivalency test is the HiSET test developed by Educational Testing Service (ETS). Test takers can visit http://hiset.ets.org/test_takers to schedule high school equivalency (HSE) testing.
The cost of the test is $95, which includes a $60 registration fee for the cost of the test and $7 for each of the five (5) test sections to cover the costs of administering the test. Because examinees do not have to complete the entire test at one time, students can take the test in sections.
The $60 registration fee allows individuals to test three (3) times during a 12-month period. Examinees who do not pass the test the first time can retake the entire test or any of the test sections two more times within the 12-month period by paying an additional $7-per-section fee.
For more information about obtaining a high school equivalency certificate, visit www.hiset.ets.org or call 573-751-3504.
See a list of testing centers in Missouri here.
Compulsory Age Requirement
Only 16-year-olds who have successfully completed 16 units of credit toward high school graduation and have written permission from the superintendent or principal of the school last attended reflecting compliance are eligible to test. If homeschooled, only those 16-year-olds who have met the requirements of Section 167.031 RSMO for course instruction and have written permission of the parent or legal guardian indicating compliance, are eligible. Seventeen-year-olds who have dropped out of school may take the test.
Mail all Support documentation to
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education - HSE
P.O. Box 480
Jefferson City MO 65102-0480
- Compliance Statement - (Student Name) has successfully completed 16 units credit hours toward high school graduation and has met the requirements of Section 167.031 RSMO for course instruction.
- Written Permission - I give (Student Name) permission to take the Missouri High School Equivalency Test, and signature of superintendent, principal of the school last attended, parent or legal guardian.
- Student Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Last 4 digit of SSN
- Testing Location
Questions & Answers
- HiSET® Q & A
- HiSET® Missouri Requirements/Q & A
- HiSET® Test Content
- HiSET® Score/Results (You will receive your certificate by mail if you qualify)
- Scored at least 8 out of 20 on each subtest
- Scored at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieved a total scaled score on all five HiSET subtests of at least 45 out of 100
- HSE Transcript Q & A