High School Equivalency
(Please note: each subtest has a 12-month testing window which automatically begins at the time of purchase of that subtest.)
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education selected a new high school equivalency test that replaced the GED starting January 2014. Missouri's current high school equivalency test was developed by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and is called the HiSET®. Test takers can visit HiSET website to schedule high school equivalency (HSE) testing.
The HiSET® exam consists of five subtests (content areas): Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading, and Writing. The cost for each subtest is $17 ($10 to purchase the subtest and $7 to cover the cost of administering the subtest at a testing center). Beginning with the purchase of your first subtest, there is also a $10 state registration fee payable once every 12 months. You can purchase any number of different subtests at the same time. You will receive two retests for each subtest you purchase. If you need to retake a subtest, you pay only the $7 test center fee.
* Testing Center at Nevada is opening soon!
Residency and Minimum Age Requirements
To take the HiSET® test in Missouri, examinees must be residents of Missouri, at least 16 years old and not currently enrolled in school.
Supporting Documentation for 16 year old test takers:
In addition, 16 year old test takers MUST provide high school transcripts demonstrating successful completion of 16 units of credit toward high school graduation along with written permission to test from the superintendent or principal of the school last attended. Sixteen year old Missouri test takers who are homeschooled must meet the requirements of Section 167.031 RSMO for course instruction. The parents or guardians of homeschooled test takers MUST provide a written declaration of compliance with Section 167.031 RSMO for course instruction along with written permission for the homeschooled student to test.
NOTE: Seventeen year old Missouri test takers who have dropped out of school may take the HiSET® test without additional requirements or documentation.
Supporting documentation for 16 year old test takers can be mailed to:
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education- High School Equivalency office
P.O. Box 480
Jefferson City MO 65102-0480
Or sent by FAX to: (573) 526-5710
Supporting documentation MUST include:
- Compliance Statement for Homeschooled Student (signed by parent or legal guardian): (Student Name) has successfully met the requirements of Section 167.031 RSMO for course instruction and has my permission to take the HiSET® test
- Written Permission for Non-Homeschooled Student (signed by superintendent or principal of school last attended): (Student Name) has successfully completed at least 16 units of credit toward high school graduation and has my permission to take the Missouri High School Equivalency Test. Copies of high school transcripts are also required.
AND you must also include:
- Full name of student
- Student's date of birth
- Last four digits of the student's social security number
- Student’s ETS I.D. NUMBER (This is provided when you create an ETS account. To create an ETS account and for more information, please click on: Frequently Asked Questions )
Questions & Answers
- HiSET® Q & A
- HiSET® Missouri Requirements/Q & A
- HiSET® Test Content
- HiSET® Score/Results (You will receive your certificate by mail if you qualify)
- Scored at least 8 out of 20 on each subtest
- Scored at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieved a total scaled score on all five HiSET subtests of at least 45 out of 100
- HSE Transcript Q & A
- HSE-related Scholarships
(January 1, 2014 was the deadline for passing the GED®. If the GED® was not passed, scores from the current test did not transfer to the new one. The new test has been in use since January 2, 2014.)