SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
In order to apply for a Missouri Substitute Certificate, you must submit all of the following items:
1. ONLINE SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE APPLICATION
- You will first need to create a profile in our certification system. Please follow the instructions outlined in the Educator Certification System Help Guide for the Certification System.
- After you have created a profile in our certification system, find the "applications" link in the menu on the left hand side of the screen to see a list of application types.
- Choose “Substitute” from the list to create an online application. Complete and submit the application.
- A non-refundable processing fee of $50 is required. The fee will be paid at the time the application is submitted online. Fees may be paid by credit/debit card or by e-check.
2. REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION
- ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPTS from ALL institutions you have attended must be mailed to: Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Please be sure to include your Social Security number or Educator ID number on all of the transcripts. Acceptable hours must be completed through a college or university that is regionally accredited through one of the following approved associations: AdvancEd, Higher Learning Commission, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Do not email copies of transcripts. Faxed, scanned, emailed, or photocopied transcripts will not be accepted. Electronic transcripts will be accepted directly from the National Student Clearinghouse. Transcripts become the property of the department and cannot be returned.
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FROM APPROVED SUBSTITUTE TRAINING
- To register for training/print a copy of certificate of completion, please visit Frontline Education
COPY OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, GENERAL EDUCATION DIPLOMA (GED), OR HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY TEST (HiSET) must be mailed to: Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Please be sure to include your Social Security number or Educator ID number. Faxed, scanned or emailed documents will not be accepted. These documents become the property of the department and cannot be returned.
3. FINGERPRINT/BACKGROUND CHECK
TO LOG INTO YOUR ONLINE EDUCATOR PROFILE
To access your certification account (online profile) you must first log into DESE Web Applications with a user ID and password, and then choose the Educator Certification System link located on the User Applications page. Your certification account (online profile) provides access to each of the following:
- Apply for a certificate
- Print out a certificate
- View a certificate or pending application
- View assessment scores
- Check for the receipt of transcripts
- Check fingerprint/background status
Please Note: If you have not logged in to your certification account (online profile) in over 12 months, please contact the Office of Data System Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-522-3207.