Welcome to 2015 LifeSmarts!
Missouri LifeSmarts State Competition Ends. State Competitors Announced
Congratulations to the following teams who were the online competition top twelve teams and have been invited to compete at the Missouri State Varsity Competition to be held in Jefferson City on February 25th.
1. Ft. Zumwalt South Bulldogs, Coach Anne Klemme, Ft. Zumwalt South
2. Golden Eagles, Coach Robert Nellis, Ruskin
3. Falcons 13, Coach Linda Cumpton, Blair Oaks
4. Bourbon Warhawks, Coach Teri Rowden, Bourbon
5. Regit Power, Coach Beverly Plymell, Keytesville
6. Bison Brian, Coach Gayle Dissmore, Buffalo
7. Sheldon FBLA, Coach Christy Lockard, Sheldon
8. Finance Tycoons, Coach Janet Bagby, Columbia Area Career Center
9. Varsity Wildcats FCCLA, Coach Kim Wilhelmson, Harrisonville
10. Fatima FCCLA, Coach Erica Libbert, Fatima
11. The Big Herm, Coach Jill Salmon, Hermitage
12. Wildcats, Coach Bonnie Baker, Linn
Congratulations to the following teams who were the online competition top nine teams and have been invited to compete at the Missouri State Junior Varsity Competition to be held in Jefferson City on February 24th.
1. Green Machine, Coach Cynthia Sullivan, Blair Oaks
2. JV Wildcats, Coach Bonnie Baker, Linn
3. Mini FCCLA Tiger Pack, Coach Beverly Plymell, Keytesville
4. PHMS Roosters, Coach Victoria Mosier, Pleasant Hill
5. BMS Hawks, Coach Jessi Payne, Bourbon
6. Orange and Black Attack, Coach Rachael Begemann, Oak Grove
7. Sheldon Middle Level, Coach Christy Lockard, Sheldon
8. Aurora Houn' Dawgs, Coach Nancy Robertson, Aurora
9. Brainy Bunch, Teresa Holder, Couch
Thank you to all the teams who participated in Missouri LifeSmarts this year!
Way to go Missouri LifeSmarts! Number one in the nation again.
National LifeSmarts coordinator, Lisa Hertzberg has informed me that Missouri LifeSmarts is the most active state on the LifeSmarts website with 1,813 hits in the past 20 days!
Keep up the good work!
LifeSmarts is an integrated educational program that can be used in math, science, language arts, social studies, career education or any curriculum to expand the general knowledge of students. It is open to students in grades 6-12. The LifeSmarts program includes teacher resources, student competitions and community service. www.LifeSmarts.org
The 2015 LifeSmarts Program Year is online now! If you have never given LifeSmarts a try, this could be the year for you to try the resources, lesson plans, competitions, and community service projects! www.lifesmarts.org
The site has been updated and is significantly more user friendly than in the past.
You will find some exciting new features and functionality on the site, including:
- Streamlined navigation on the home page. If you want to browse the site, our new drop-down menus will help you explore. If you know where you’re headed, you should be just a click away.
- Your registration from 2013-14 is still active; there is no need to re-register. This is true whether you are a coach or a student.
- Coaches, you will have the capability to add or drop students on your teams.
- From September through January you will find new resources to help you focus on the topic of the month.
- The ability to take practice quizzes by topic and by difficulty. Want to review just personal finance questions? Now you can!
If you have any questions, please contact me!
Merilee Thoenen, Missouri LifeSmarts Coordinator 573-751-6878 [email protected]
Two Missouri Teams Attend National LifeSmarts Competition!
The "Mega Money" team from Columbia Area Career Center, along with their coach, Janet Bagby, and assistant coach, Jo Ann Carpenter traveled to Orlando, FL on April 25th to represent Missouri at the National LIfeSmarts Competition. The team captain is Kira Kirk. Team members include Loyal Carpenter, Grant Gould and Chandler Randol.
Also attending in Orlando was the National LifeSmarts FCCLA team from Keytesville, MO. Their coach is Beverly Plymell. They were the top scoring team in the on-line LifeSmarts FCCLA Competition. They represented FCCLA at the national competition in Orlando in April. The team received $2500 from the National Consumers League to help with their travel expenses.
Congratulations to both teams!
State Winners Announced!
Thank you to all students and coaches who participated in 2014 Missouri LifeSmarts State Finals.
The winners were:
1st Place- Blair Oaks Middle School
2nd Place - Bourbon Middle School
3rd Place - Oak Grove Middle School
1st Place - Columbia Area Career Center
2nd Place - Bourbon High School
3rd Place - Buffalo High School
Varsity Individual Topics Winners:
Consumer Rights and Responsibilities - Cameron Leahy, Ft. Zumwalt High School
Environment - Sree Dalta, Ft. Zumwalt High School
Technology - Peter Dolan, Linn High School
Personal Finance - Loyal Carpenter, Columbia Area Career Center
Health and Safety - Grant Gould, Columbia Area Career Center
Merilee Thoenen, Missouri Coordinator