2015 LifeSmarts National Competition
Congratulations to two Missouri teams who competed in the National LifeSmarts Competition held in Seattle, WA from April 17-20. The Missouri Team, coached by Mrs. Linda Cumpton, is from Blair Oaks High School in Wardsville, MO. They won the Missouri in-person competition held in Jefferson City in February. The other team took an online competition in January to represent FCCLA at nationals. This FCCLA team is also from Blair Oaks with Mrs. Cumpton as their coach.
While at the competition, the Missouri Team placed twelfth! Both teams competed in individual and team competitions. Luke Dyer of the Missouri Team placed 2nd in the Technology individual competition. Kerstin Peterson of the FCCLA team and Mrs. Cumpton were chosen to be on the National LifeSmarts Student Advisory Board.
Luke Dyer of the Missouri Team being congratulated by LifeSmarts Education Director, Emily Stevenson.
Three of the four SafetySmarts $750 scholarships were given to Missouri students.
Luke Dyer and Ashley Forck, Blair Oaks High School
Alexis Knouse with kindergarten student working on her SafetySmarts presentation.Alexis is from the Grand River Technical School in Chillicothe. Her coach is Jenny Hughes.
Congratulations to everyone who participated at the National Competition and in the SafetySmarts Scholarship competiton.
Welcome to 2015 LifeSmarts!
State Winners Announced!
Thank you to all students and coaches who participated in 2015 Missouri LifeSmarts State Finals.
The winners were:
1st Place- Blair Oaks Middle School, coached by Cynthia Sullivan
2nd Place - Bourbon Middle School, coached by Jessi Payne
3rd Place - Keytesville Middle School, coached by Beverly Plymell
1st Place - Blair Oaks High School. They will represent Missouri at the LifeSmarts Nationals Competition in Seattle, WA from April 16-20, 2015 along with their coach, Linda Cumpton.
2nd Place - Ft. Zumwalt South High School, coached by Anne Klemme
3rd Place - Buffalo High School, coached by Gayle Dissmore
Varsity Individual Topics Winners:
Consumer Rights and Responsibilities - Cameron Leahy, Ft. Zumwalt High School, coached by Anne Klemme
Environment - Matthew Maasen, Blair Oaks High School, coached by Linda Cumpton
Technology - Zach Sayer, Ft. Zumwalt South High School, coached by Anne Klemme
Personal Finance - Elise Quisenberry, Buffalo High School, coached by Gayle Dissmore
Health and Safety - Mallory Aughtman, Fatima High School, coached by Erica Libbert
Congratulations Coach Cumpton and team!
Congratulations to Coach Linda Cumpton and her Falcons 13 Team from Blair Oaks High School. They were first place in the LifeSmarts FCCLA Challenge and have been invited to represent FCCLA at the National LifeSmarts Competition in Seattle, WA
Missouri LifeSmarts State Competition Ends. State Competitors Announced
Congratulations to the following teams who were the online competition top twelve teams and have been invited to compete at the Missouri State Varsity Competition to be held in Jefferson City on February 25th.
1. Ft. Zumwalt South Bulldogs, Coach Anne Klemme, Ft. Zumwalt South
2. Golden Eagles, Coach Robert Nellis, Ruskin
3. Falcons 13, Coach Linda Cumpton, Blair Oaks
4. Bourbon Warhawks, Coach Teri Rowden, Bourbon
5. Regit Power, Coach Beverly Plymell, Keytesville
6. Bison Brian, Coach Gayle Dissmore, Buffalo
7. Sheldon FBLA, Coach Christy Lockard, Sheldon
8. Finance Tycoons, Coach Janet Bagby, Columbia Area Career Center
9. Varsity Wildcats FCCLA, Coach Kim Wilhelmson, Harrisonville
10. Fatima FCCLA, Coach Erica Libbert, Fatima
11. The Big Herm, Coach Jill Salmon, Hermitage
12. Wildcats, Coach Bonnie Baker, Linn
Congratulations to the following teams who were the online competition top nine teams and have been invited to compete at the Missouri State Junior Varsity Competition to be held in Jefferson City on February 24th.
1. Green Machine, Coach Cynthia Sullivan, Blair Oaks
2. JV Wildcats, Coach Bonnie Baker, Linn
3. Mini FCCLA Tiger Pack, Coach Beverly Plymell, Keytesville
4. PHMS Roosters, Coach Victoria Mosier, Pleasant Hill
5. BMS Hawks, Coach Jessi Payne, Bourbon
6. Orange and Black Attack, Coach Rachael Begemann, Oak Grove
7. Sheldon Middle Level, Coach Christy Lockard, Sheldon
8. Aurora Houn' Dawgs, Coach Nancy Robertson, Aurora
9. Brainy Bunch, Teresa Holder, Couch
Thank you to all the teams who participated in Missouri LifeSmarts this year!
Way to go Missouri LifeSmarts! Number one in the nation again.
National LifeSmarts coordinator, Lisa Hertzberg has informed me that Missouri LifeSmarts is the most active state on the LifeSmarts website with 1,813 hits in the past 20 days!
Keep up the good work!
LifeSmarts is an integrated educational program that can be used in math, science, language arts, social studies, career education or any curriculum to expand the general knowledge of students. It is open to students in grades 6-12. The LifeSmarts program includes teacher resources, student competitions and community service. www.LifeSmarts.org
The 2015 LifeSmarts Program Year is online now! If you have never given LifeSmarts a try, this could be the year for you to try the resources, lesson plans, competitions, and community service projects! www.lifesmarts.org
The site has been updated and is significantly more user friendly than in the past.
You will find some exciting new features and functionality on the site, including:
- Streamlined navigation on the home page. If you want to browse the site, our new drop-down menus will help you explore. If you know where you’re headed, you should be just a click away.
- Your registration from 2013-14 is still active; there is no need to re-register. This is true whether you are a coach or a student.
- Coaches, you will have the capability to add or drop students on your teams.
- From September through January you will find new resources to help you focus on the topic of the month.
- The ability to take practice quizzes by topic and by difficulty. Want to review just personal finance questions? Now you can!
If you have any questions, please contact me!
Merilee Thoenen, Missouri LifeSmarts Coordinator 573-751-6878 [email protected]
Merilee Thoenen, Missouri Coordinator