SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
In order to apply for a Missouri Substitute Certificate, you must submit all of the following items:
1. ONLINE SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE APPLICATION
- You will first need to create a profile in our certification system. Please follow the instructions outlined in the Educator Certification System Help Guide for the Certification System.
- After you have created a profile in our certification system, find the "applications" link in the menu on the left hand side of the screen to see a list of application types.
- Choose “Substitute” from the list to create an online application. Complete and submit the application.
- A processing fee of $50 is required. The fee will be paid at the time the application is submitted online. Fees may be paid by credit/debit card or by e-check.
2. ORIGINAL COPIES OF ALL TRANSCRIPTS
- Original transcripts from ALL institutions you have attended must be mailed to: Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Please be sure to include your Social Security number or Educator ID number on all of the transcripts. Faxed, scanned, emailed, or photocopied transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts become the property of the department and cannot be returned.
3. FINGERPRINT/BACKGROUND CHECK
TO LOG INTO YOUR ONLINE EDUCATOR PROFILE
To access your certification account (online profile) you must first log into DESE Web Applications with a user ID and password, and then choose the Educator Certification System link located on the User Applications page. Your certification account (online profile) provides access to each of the following:
- Apply for a certificate
- Print out a certificate
- View a certificate or pending application
- View assessment scores
- Check for the receipt of transcripts
- Check fingerprint/background status
Please Note: If you have not logged in to your certification account (online profile) in over 12 months, then you will need to register for a new user ID and password in order to restore your access. You will need to follow steps 1 & 2 of the Educator Certification System Help Guide to complete this process.