SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
In order to apply for a Missouri Substitute Certificate, you must submit all of the following items:
1. ONLINE SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE APPLICATION
- You will first need to create a profile in our certification system. Please follow the instructions outlined in the Educator Certification System Help Guide for the Certification System.
- After you have created a profile in our certification system, click on “New Applications” in the menu on the left hand side of the screen to bring up a list of application types.
- Choose “Substitute” from the list to create an online application. Complete and submit the application.
- A processing fee of $50 is required. The fee will be paid at the time the application is submitted online. Fees may be paid by credit/debit card or by e-check.
2. ORIGINAL COPIES OF ALL TRANSCRIPTS
- Original transcripts from ALL institutions you have attended must be mailed to: Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480. Please be sure to include your Social Security number or Educator ID number on all of the transcripts. Faxed, scanned, emailed, or photocopied transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts become the property of the department and cannot be returned.
3. FINGERPRINT/BACKGROUND CHECK
The Educator Certification System located within DESE Web Applications provides users with access to each of the following:
- Apply for a certificate
- Print out a certificate
- View a certificate or pending application
- View Praxis scores
- Check fingerprint/background status
Please Note: If you have not logged in to your certification account in over 12 months, then you will need to register for a new userid and password in order to restore your access. The directions to complete this process are located in the Educator Certification System Help Guide.