On July 1, 2014, the State Board of Education created the Normandy Schools Collaborative in the same boundary as the Normandy School District. Feedback from parents, students, staff and community members made it clear it was important to keep schools open within the Normandy community. The only feasible way to accomplish this was to establish a new district under the oversight of the State Board of Education.
Those in Normandy were clear on their expectations and wishes, which included:
- Schools in the community
- Quality education for every child
- Support from the Department, the State and others
A fresh start will allow the district the opportunity to break the cycle of persistent low achievement by making deep and fundamental cuts to school operations.
Joint Executive Governing Board
The Normandy Schools Collaborative is governed by a Joint Executive Governing Board (JGEB) with members appointed by the State Board of Education.
Many of the Board's actions and the Department's recommendations came from the Normandy Transition Task Force, established in March 2014, to develop a specific plan for the operation of schools in the Normandy School District. Some of its other recommendations included community partnerships, early childhood education and wraparound services for students and their families. The report the task force created can be viewed here: Transition Task Force Report to State Board.
In December 2014, the State Board of Education voted to transfer increased authority to the JGEB. This includes evaluation, hiring and discipline of personnel and the ongoing implementation of the NSC Accountability Plan.
Only students who transferred in the 2013-14 school year are eligible for transfer in 2014-15. They are eligible only to attend the same school district they attended in 2013-14. In an effort to accommodate families, kindergarten students starting school in 2014-15 are eligible for transfer if they have a sibling who is eligible. Any student who transferred from the Normandy School District to an accredited district in the 2013-14 school year but withdrew from that same school district, is no longer eligible to transfer. The ability for students to transfer is based on the new tuition rate to be paid to receiving districts.
The Normandy Schools Collaborative is an unaccredited district. The Department will continuously review student progress. The Joint Executive Governing Board makes quarterly reports to the State Board of Education.
Anyone with questions or in need of general information about the district is asked to call 855-879-3025. Interested parties may also email questions to [email protected].
- Transcript of Hearing (04/23/2015)
- State to Hold Public Hearing on Normandy Schools Collaborative (04/22/2015)
- Normandy Schools Collaborative Classified as Unaccredited (03/17/2015)
- Statement on Normandy Appeal (03/10/2015)
- Statement on Student Transfer Guidelines Update (02/19/2015)
- Statement on Normandy Schools Collaborative Joint Executive Governing Board (02/17/2015)
- Statement in Reaction to Judgment in Normandy Student Transfer Lawsuit (02/12/2015)
- State Board Grants Additional Authority for Normandy Board (12/4/2014)
- State Sets Public Hearings on Normandy School District (10/31/2014)
- State Board Approves Normandy Schools Collaborative Accountability Plan (10/29/2014)
- State Board Approves Emergency Action for Normandy School District (10/29/2014)
- State Board of Education Starts Long-Term Planning in Unaccredited Districts (8/20/2014)
- Statement on Normandy Transfer Lawsuit Ruling (8/15/2014)
- Statement on Normandy Temporary Restraining Order Dismissal (8/15/2014)
- Normandy Board Holds First Meeting (7/1/2014)
- Normandy Schools Collaborative Board Members (7/1/2014)
- Normandy Finishes Year without Additional State Funds (6/30/2014)
- Work Continues on Normandy Schools Collaborative (6/26/2014)
- Statement on Francis Howell Refusal of Normandy Transfer Students (6/20/2014)
- Normandy Schools Collaborative to Operate with New Leadership (5/20/2014)
- Normandy Transition Task Force Delivers Report for School District (5/16/2014)
- Public Hearing Held at Normandy (11/12/2013)