Regional Teacher of the Year
Missouri Regional Teacher of the Year Program
The Regional Teacher of the Year program is designed to focus public attention on excellence in teaching and to honor classroom teachers in all regions of Missouri.
- To nominate a teacher for the 2020 Regional Teacher of the Year award, please visit this website and fill out the form. Nominations for the 2020 award MUST be completed using the online form above. Submitted PDF applications will not be accepted. If you have any questions about the online form, please contact Communications@dese.mo.gov.
- The deadline for nominations is Monday, April 15, 2019.
- For more information about the nomination process, contact Linda Dooling.
- Full-time public or charter school teachers who hold a valid Missouri Teaching Certificate
- Candidates must be highly respected by students, parents, colleagues and the community
- Candidates must play an active role in the school community providing service and leadership
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate a strong ability to foster excellence in education through improved student learning
All eligible Regional Teacher of the Year applications will be sent to the appropriate Regional Service Center. Each Service Centers will have a regional selection committee composed of individuals from the teacher organizations; administrator organizations; and higher education. Thirty-two Regional Teachers of the Year will be chosen based on regional student population.
• Northeast – 1
• Northwest – 1
• South Central – 2
• Central – 2
• Southeast – 2
• Heart of Missouri – 3
• Southwest RPDC – 3
• Kansas City – 6
• St. Louis – 10
• Southwest Center - 2
Districts participating in the Teacher of the Year Program have found the program to have a positive impact on the entire community. Recognizing outstanding teachers: a) establishes a culture that rewards excellence in teaching; b) validates the work of teachers; c) provides teachers with a platform to speak about educational issues; d) gives students a sense of pride in their teachers; e) showcases teachers as positive role models; f) encourages students to think about teaching as a career; g) gives the community a sense of pride in its teachers; and h) helps to get the public involved and invested in the schools.
- $250 Cash Award from Regional Service Center
- Recognition banquet sponsored by the Missouri State Board of Education
- Regional Teacher of the Year plaque
- Regional Teacher of the Year name tag
All Regional Teachers of the Year, their respective spouses/significant others, building level principal, superintendent and school board president will be invited and recognized at the Missouri State Teacher of the Year Awards Banquet in October.