New Directors Academy
2018 New Directors Academy, July 24-27, 2018, Capitol Plaza Hotel, Jefferson City
Charting the Course for Success
The Office of Special Education hosts a New Directors Academy for first- and second-year special education directors. The Academy will meet once during the 2018-19 school year. It will focus on core activities that new special education directors must complete during their initial months of employment and throughout the entire school year.
These activities will assist them in the management of special education practices and procedures within the LEA, while ensuring that the rights of students with disabilities and their parents are protected. Participants should plan to attend all sessions.
- Directors Academy brochure (Tri-fold brochure format)
- Who attends the New Directors Academy?
- Intended Outcomes
- 2018 Summer Academy schedule
- Is there a registration fee?
- Will breakfast and lunch be provided?
- How do I book my hotel reservations?
- Listing of area hotels and contact information
- Assistance or special accommodations needed?
- I'm not familiar with My Learning Plan. How do I sign up as a new user?
- Enroll for the Academy on My Learning Plan?
- How do I cancel or drop a previous registration?
- How do I obtain directions to the Academy?
- I forgot my login information. How do I reset my account?
- 2017 Summer Session Handouts
- New special education directors 2018-19 - those who will be assuming the position/duties of a director of special education for the first time. Enroll below as First Year ONLY.
- Returning directors - those who attended the 2017-18 New Directors Academy. Enroll below as Returning Director.
- If you have questions regarding attendance, please contact Cheryl Stock at 573-751-0285 or Tiffani Muessig at 573-751-0185.
Special Education Finance July 24-25, 2018
Participants will learn:
- how to track special education expenditures from various funding sources to ease the burden of financial reporting.
- how to ensure compliance with spending thresholds to meet maintenance of effort (MOE) requirements.
- allowable ways to expend Part B IDEA federal funds and proration methods.
- other important fiscal requirements related to federal funds.
- where to find available guidance and resources related to special education funds.
Special Education Compliance July 26-27, 2018, Capitol Plaza Hotel, Jefferson City, MO
Participants will learn:
- the special education process and the standards and indicators.
- discipline and dispute resolution options, including facilitated IEPs.
- how to use data from the special education profile and program monitoring to plan for more efficient and effective compliance procedures.
Special Education Data Collection and Reporting
Participants will learn:
- why districts report special education data.
- what data are collected for students with disabilities.
- how the data are reported to and used by DESE.
RPDC Services and Supports
Participants will meet with RPDC consultants to discuss programs and support available from their local center.
There is no registration fee to attend. Onsite registration will begin promptly at 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 26, 2018. Pre-enrollment on My Learning Plan is required and must be verified at registration desk to receive training materials, name badge, etc.
All expenses related to meals will be incurred by the district. Breakfast will be provided for all participants on Thursday, July 26, 2018 from 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. and again on Friday, July 27, 2018 from 6:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. A buffet lunch will be provided for all participants on Thursday, July 26, 2018 from 12:40 p.m. - 1:40 p.m. and again on Friday, July 27, 2018 from 11:50 a.m. - 12:50 p.m.
(Capitol Plaza Hotel and Convention Center has provided a block of rooms at the state government rate on a first-come first-serve basis)
All expenses related to lodging will be incurred by the district. Participants will be responsible for choosing a lodging location and making reservations. The inclusive rate for Purchase Order purposes is $99.51.
Be sure and reference "DESE-New Directors Academy" when making reservations.
There are three ways to make your reservation:
1. Call directly at 573-635-1234 and ask for reservations.
2. Call 1-800-338-8088 and ask for reservations.
3. Book online through http://www.capitolplazajeffersoncity.com/.
If you need further assistance, please contact Cheryl Stock at Cheryl.Stock@dese.mo.gov or 573-751-0285 or Tiffani Muessig at Tiffani.Muessig@dese.mo.gov or 573-751-0185. If you should need special accommodations, please contact Regina Miller at Regina.Miller@dese.mo.gov or 573-751-0187.
I'm not familiar with My Learning Plan. How do I sign up as a new user?
If you do not already have an account, you will be asked to create one. It is extremely important to provide a valid e-mail address as all correspondence pertaining to the academy will be communicated using the email address you provide when you enroll.
NOTE: When enrolling, if you are with a school district, be sure you select the appropriate district/agency for whom you will be representing at the institute. If your district/agency is not listed, please select "Not On List".
NOTE: If you have never created a user account, click "New User" and you will be prompted step by step to set up your account and enroll in the academy. Be sure to indicate payment option and click "I Agree". If you are with a school district, be sure you select the appropriate district/agency you will be representing at the acadmey. If your district/agency is not listed, please select "Not On List". If you should need further assistance, please call Regina Miller at 573-751-0187.
Enroll as FIRST YEAR ONLY if you will be assuming the position/duties of a director of special education for the first time for the 2018-2019 school year.
Enroll as RETURNING DIRECTOR if you attended the 2017-18 New Directors Academy and would like a refresher on topics that were covered last year.
How do I obtain directions to the academy?
To review any information regarding your registration, do the following:
Log In to your account.
Click the title of the course/workshop that you registered for.
Click [Map] option under the location.
I forgot my login information. How do I reset my account?
Your login name is the email address you used when you first registered. If you should need assistance registering once enrollment has opened, contact email@example.com or call 573-751-0187.