2020-21 Fiscal Waiver
Public Comment Period Open: USED Waivers Related to COVID-19 Challenges
DESE's Office of Quality Schools is requesting a waiver from the United States Department of Education (USED) as a result of ongoing challenges related to COVID-19. Local education agencies (LEAs) and members of the public have the opportunity to comment on this request by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday July 30, 2021.
DESE, Missouri’s State Education Agency (SEA) is requesting waivers of the following requirements:
- Carryover limitation in section 1127(b) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) for federal fiscal year (FY) 2020 Title I, Part A funds (i.e., the Title I, Part A funds that will become carryover funds on October 1, 2021): to waive the requirement that limits an SEA’s ability to grant to its LEAs a waiver of the 15 percent Title I, Part A carryover limitation in section 1127(a) to once every three years.
- Period of availability of funds in section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA): to extend the period of availability of FY 2019 funds for programs in which the SEA participates under it’s approved consolidated State plan until September 30, 2022. The programs are:
- Title I, Part A of the ESEA (Improving Basic Programs Operated by LEAs),including the portions of the SEA’s Title I, Part A award used to carry out section1003 school improvement, section 1003A direct student services, if applicable, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2
- Title I, Part B of the ESEA (State Assessment Formula Grants)
- Title I, Part C of the ESEA (Education of Migratory Children)
- Title I, Part D, Subpart 1 of the ESEA (Prevention and Intervention Programs for Children and Youth Who Are Neglected, Delinquent, or At Risk)
- Title II, Part A of the ESEA (Supporting Effective Instruction)
- Title III, Part A of the ESEA (English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement)
- Title IV, Part A of the ESEA (Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grants)
- Title IV, Part B of the ESEA (21st Century Community Learning Centers)
- Title V, Part B, Subpart 2 of the ESEA (Rural and Low-Income School Program)
- McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program