Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers
The Parents as Teachers (PAT) program is an evidence-based early childhood home visiting framework that builds strong communities, thriving families and children who are healthy, safe and ready to learn. Trained parent educators emphasize parent-child interaction, development centered parenting and family well-being in their work with families. The PAT program has four components: personal visits, group connections, screenings, and resource referrals. Together, these components provide families with children prenatal to kindergarten entry a program of support so that children are able to reach their full potential.
Expected goals and outcomes can be:
- Increase parent knowledge of early childhood development and improve parent practices
- Prevent child abuse and neglect
- Provide early detection of developmental delays and health issues
- Increase children’s school readiness and success
- Early Establishment of positive partnerships between home and school
In Missouri, PAT programs are supported through a collaborative partnership that includes the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) - Early Learning Section, the Parents as Teacher National Center (PATNC), and the local school district. Each partner has specific roles and responsibilities that collectively ensure that families in Missouri have access to quality parent education services through the PAT program.
- Missouri Parents as Teachers Professional Development Program
- PLC Cancelations - Visit the Missouri Parents as Teachers Professional Development Program webpage for additional information.
- 11/15/18 "The Family Visit" PLC in St. Charles has been canceled due to expected inclement weather. Make-up date is 1/30/19.
- 11/16/18 "Mindfulness" PLC in Cape Girardeau from 9:00 -12:00 has been canceled due to expected inclement weather. Make-up date is 1/29/19.
- 11/16/18 "Self-Regulation in Early Childhood" PLC in Cape Girardeau from 1:15-3:15 has been canceled due to expected inclement weather. Make-up date is 1/29/19.
- Compliance Review Tool-Administration/Program Structure
- Compliance Review Tool-Family File
- Missouri Planning Tool
- PAT Administrative Services Agreement
- Program Goal Sheet
- Required Documentation
- Zero to Three Video