Alternative Methods of Instruction
The AMI-X Monitoring Tool - Reference form below is available to assist LEAs in preparing for the AMI-X monitoring that will be conducted by the Area Supervisor for the region.
July 23 Webinar Information: Slides || Link to Recording
Alternative Methods of Instruction (AMI)
Beginning in school year 2020-21, a local education agency (LEA) will not be required to make up school hours that are lost or canceled due to exceptional or emergency circumstances (up to 36 hours) if the LEA implements an Alternative Methods of Instruction (AMI) Plan that is approved by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). Please see the information below to assist with your district's AMI Plan.
- Administrative Memo QS-20-002 - Alternative Methods of Instruction
- Section 171.033, RSMo
- Quality Schools Guidance Document
- Special Education Guidance Document
- Alternative Methods of Instruction Application (MO500-3226)
- Alternative Methods of Instruction Application - For Reference Only
Alternative Methods of Instruction - Extension (AMI-X)
Because a number of LEAs already have approved AMI plans, DESE will facilitate the transition to AMI-X Plans in the following ways:
- If an LEA has an approved AMI plan that qualifies as an AMI-X Plan, they will be notified.
- If an LEA has submitted an AMI Plan that does not qualify as an AMI-X Plan, the LEA will be notified and may submit an AMI-X enhancement so that the plan qualifies.
- Any LEA that has not submitted an AMI plan may do so and may also wish to consider submitting both an AMI application and AMI-X enhancement.
- Administrative Memo QS-20-007 – Attendance Changes for the 2020-21 School Year
- Attendance Guidance for 2020-21 School Year
- Attendance Frequently Asked Questions for 2020-21 School Year
- Alternative Methods of Instruction - Extension Application
- Alternative Methods of Instruction - Extension Application - For Reference Only
Konnie Koenigsfeld, Assistant Director