How do I become a paraprofessional and do I need to be certified?

Paraprofessionals are required to obtain 60 college credit hours or have passed the ParaPro Assessment (before September 23, 2013) or the Paraprofessional Assessment (September 23, 2013 or after) in order to work under the direct supervision of an appropriately certified teacher to provide instructional assistance. The Paraprofessional Assessment is also required for individuals seeking to be employed as teaching assistants residing in Title I schools.

Learn more about the ParaPro Assessment here 

Note: Paraprofessionals cannot have a caseload.

For more information about paraprofessionals, please see the Consolidated Federal Programs Administrative Manual