April 2: Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT)
For households with children who attend a school that’s closed and who would otherwise receive free or reduced-price meals, an application is being developed to provide a meal-replacement benefit through SNAP under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act of 2020. This new P-EBT provision can compensate families for the cost of the meals their children are missing out on because their schools are closed. USDA is providing guidance to state agencies on plan requirements in order to receive approval. DESE shared the application with all school districts. Read more from USDA about the Pandemic EBT here.
- P-EBT Letter to Families
- P-EBT Eligibility Criteria
- P-EBT Frequently Asked Questions
- More information on the EBT card
If you have questions on how to apply, you can use the online chat feature at mydss.mo.gov or call 855-373-4636. If you need additional assistance with food, childcare, transportation and/or other services, visit the Missouri Services Navigator.
Pursuant to section 2202(a) of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (the Act) (P.L. 116-127), and in light of the exceptional circumstances surrounding COVID-19, USDA Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) has established the following additional nationwide waivers, available to schools that elect to use them:
- Nationwide Waiver to Extend Area Eligibility Waivers through August 31, 2020
- Area Eligibility Waiver Request (Apply here)
- Meal Pattern Waiver: Schools may apply here to waive specific meal pattern requirements, as needed, to support access to nutritious meals when certain foods are not available during this emergency.
- Meal Times Waiver: USDA FNS has provided a nationwide waiver to support access to nutritious meals outside of the designated meal periods to minimize potential exposure to COVID-19 in the NSLP and SBP. EXTENSION - AUGUST 31.
- Nationwide Waiver of Meal Service Time Restrictions in the Seamless Summer Option: This waiver allows meals served outside of the standard meal times. EXTENSION - SEPTEMBER 30.
- Parent/Guardian Meal Pickup Waiver: This waiver allows parents and guardians to pick up meals for their children without the child being present, as long as schools protect the accountability and integrity of the program EXTENSION - AUGUST 31.
- Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) Data Waiver: The CEP deadlines are being extended for reporting SY 2019-20 student counts to establish SY 2020-21’s identified student percentage for CEP, as well as for the required notifications and CEP election. No application required.
- Activity Requirement in Afterschool Care Waiver: The requirement for an educational or enrichment activity when serving an afternoon meal/snack under the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or Child and Adult Care Food Program has been waived. This applies to afterschool snacks in the NSLP for schools who currently participate in the Afterschool Snack Program. No application required.
- Waivers of Child Nutrition Monitoring: USDA FNS has issued flexibility to waive certain onsite monitoring requirements for the school meals programs to maintain program integrity and support social distancing while providing meals.
- Meal Service During Unanticipated School Closures
- Congregate Feeding for Seamless Summer Option (SSO) during COVI-19 Unanticipated School Closures
- Local Wellness Policy Triennial Assessment: Nationwide waiver to support schools unable to complete a triennial assessment of the local wellness policies by June 30, 2020.
- FSMC Contract Duration: Nationwide waiver allows flexibility for FSMC contracts that may expire by or around June 30, 2020, may be extended through SY 2020-2021 (June 30, 2021).
- NonCongregate Nationwide Waiver Extension: Waiver allows schools to provide non-congregate meals extended through August 31, 2020
- Area Eligibility Statewide Waiver Extension
Back to School Waivers
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibility for Senior High Schools in the National School Lunch Program for School Year 2020-21
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Meal Service Time Flexibility in the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and Child and Adult Care Food Program – EXTENSION #2
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children – EXTENSION #2
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Meal Pattern Flexibility in the Child Nutrition Programs – EXTENSION #4
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Non-congregate Feeding in the Child Nutrition Programs – EXTENSION #2
Q&A and Resources
- COVID-19 Waivers & Updates FAQ, 6/16/20
- COVID-19 FAQ 4/28/20
- COVID-19 Guidance to Continue Meal Service During the Summer
- Child Nutrition Program Nationwide Waivers: Questions and Answers
- Child Nutrition Program Meal Service during Novel Coronavirus Outbreaks: Questions and Answers
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program during COVID19
- DESE SSO Meals and Safety Resources During COVID-19
- USDA has a Q & A about meal delivery
- Emergency Meals-to-You
- COVID-19 No Kid Hungry Grant Available to Support Coronavirus Response: As coronavirus is closing schools and workplaces nationwide, vulnerable children are losing the school meals they depend on, and low-income families are struggling with lost wages. No Kid Hungry is offering emergency grants to support local school districts and nonprofit organizations in their efforts to ensure kids get the nutritious food they need. Learn more and apply here.
- USDA Questions & Answers: COVID-19 Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and Seamless Summer Option (SSO)
- Questions & Answers for the National School Lunch Program's Seamless Summer Option
- Using USDA Food During a Human Pandemic Outbreak Options for Schools and Communities
- CDC on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions
- USDA Coronavirus (COVID-19) information
USDA Donated Foods Program Disaster Resources
- Requesting replacement of USDA Foods used during closure of COVID-19
- USDA Food Disaster Assistance
- USDA Foods Program Disaster Manual
- FD-093: Q&A related to disaster policies and procedures
- Disaster Response USDA Memo
- Disaster Relief/Summer Storage
- Food and Nutrition Services Disaster Assistance