The Missouri Gysbers Success Designation recognizes Missouri schools or districts that demonstrate an exemplary level of implementation of the Missouri Comprehensive School Counseling Program that positively impacts its students. This award designation was developed by a committee that included The Missouri School Counselor Association (MSCA), counselor educators and the School Counseling Section of the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
The award is named after Dr. Norman C. Gysbers, retired Curators Professor, Educational School & Counseling Psychology at the University of Missouri - Columbia. Dr. Gysbers, who graciously consented to his name being used for this award, is a nationally and internationally recognized authority who is essentially the "father of" the Missouri Comprehensive School Counseling Program.
The criteria for the Gysbers Success Designation are based upon the Missouri School Improvement Program (MSIP5) School Counseling Standards, the Internal Improvement Review (IIR) and the Missouri Comprehensive School Counseling Program.
The Gysbers Success Designation will:
- provide recognition for exemplary comprehensive school counseling programs across the state
- promote the critical role of comprehensive school counseling programs
- publicize the role of accountability
- encourage continuing program improvement
- educate stakeholders within the local community and across the state about what comprehensive school counseling programs do to help students succeed
Applications must be submitted by September 10, 2016 and awards are presented at the Missouri School Counselor Association Fall Conference. For more information contact Dr. Rene’ Yoesel, DESE Director of School Counseling, at [email protected] or 573-751-0857.
Recognition is given annually to individuals who have made major contributions to the counseling profession as counselors, school counseling directors/supervisors and administrators/counselor advocates. The activity or accomplishments for which the nomination is made must have occurred within the last five years.
Award Categories include:
- Elementary Counselor of the Year
- Middle/Junior High Counselor of the Year
- Secondary Counselor of the Year
- Multi Level Counselor of the Year
- School Counselor Director/Supervisor of the Year
- Administrator/Counselor Advocate of the Year
Award are presented at the Missouri School Counselor Association fall conference. For more information about MSCA awards and recognition, visit the MSCA Awards