Evaluation: Program + Personnel = Results
This page is designed to provide you with information and resources to more effectively evaluate a comprehensive school counseling program. PowerPoint presentations videos, sample templates, and summaries of action based projects conducted by practicing school counselors are available to assist you in developing your own evaluation plan as required by MSIP.
Comprehensive School Counseling Program Evaluation: Introduction
This presentation provides you with an overview of the evaluation process for comprehensive school counseling programs--a process that includes program evaluation, personnel evaluation and results evaluation.
Program Evaluation: Determining the Level of Implementation
The first aspect of evaluation asks the question, "To what extent is the school counseling program fully implemented?" MSIP5 Standard 6.9 begins to address this question by outlining the necessary and essential components of a school counseling program that is integral to the total educational process.
School counselors and administrators should first determine if the components are in place.
Once it is determined that the program components are in place, it is important to determine the degree of implementation. For example, there may be a school counseling curriculum in place, but to what extent is it being delivered to students? The "Internal Improvement Review (IIR)" allows you to take an open and honest look at the degree to which their comprehensive school counseling program is being implemented. The links below provide access to the IIR and to a presentation that guides you through the IIR process. The end result is an action plan for you to follow that will lead you toward a more fully implemented comprehensive school counseling program.
- Possible Sources for Completing the IIR PDF | Word
- NEW Internal Improvement Review Document PDF | Excel - Updated 9/16
- Internal Improvement Review Presentation
- Internal Improvement Review (doc) (xls)
- Internal Improvement Review for Career Centers
The following materials for the School Counselor Evaluation Process are aligned with the Missouri Educator Evaluation System. As with all school counseling materials, districts are free to use and/or customize. School Counselors should be provided support and evaluated using tools designed for school counselors. Please contact Chrissy Bashore at [email protected] if you have questions or suggestions for improving these materials.
- School Counselor Evaluation Presentation Power Point
- Missouri School Counselor Standards and Quality Indicators – Professional Continuum
- Missouri School Counselor Standards and Quality Indicators Summary
- School Counselor Evaluation Protocol
- School Counselor Growth Guide | Word
- Standards and Quality Indicators
- Possible Sources of Evidence
- Growth Guide Rubric
- Growth Plan
- Growth Plan Example
- Improvement Plan
- Summative Evaluation Form
- New Counselor Evaluation
- Summative Evaluation Form - Years 1 and 2
- Practices - Year 1
- Practices - Year 2
This section consists of three segments:
- A Series of Short Courses that introduce school counselors to the evaluation model, Program + Personnel = Results and then guides them in development of a results-based project.
- A Series of Videos that demonstrate further how to use Microsoft Excel to analyze data ("IDEAS and Data Analysis for School Counselors").
- Examples of Actual Action Research Projects that have been complete by practicum students and full-time school counselors.