Science Related Links
National Curriculum Research in Science Education Resources:
- National Science Education Standards, National Research Council (available online http://www.nap.edu/catalog/4962.html)
- AAAS Project 2061: Benchmarks for Science Literacy (this is online http://www.project2061.org/publications/bsl/online/bolintro.htm)
- AAAS Project 2061: Atlas of Science Literacy (may be purchased from AAAS http://www.project2061.org/publications/OrderAtlas.pdf or NSTA http://www.nsta.org/publications/
- How students learn science, National Research Council (available online http://books.nap.edu/catalog/11102.html)
- Driver, R., Squires, A., Rushworth, P., Wood-Robinson, V. (1994). Making sense of secondary science: Research into children's ideas. Routledge
- Stepans, J. (1994). Targeting students’ science misconceptions. FL: Idea Factory.
- Gilbert, Steven, & Ireton, Shirley (2003). Understanding models in earth & space science. Arlington, VA: NSTA.
Resources for Learning Cycle, Inquiry, and Questioning
- Inquiry and the National Science Education Standards: A guide for teaching and learning, National Research Council (available online http://bob.nap.edu/html/inquiry_addendum/notice.html)
- Cothran, Julia H., Giese, Ronald N., & Rezba, Richard J. (2000). Students and research: Practical strategies for science classrooms and competitions. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt
- Jorgenson, O., Cleveland, J., & Vanosdall, R. (2004). Doing good science in middle school: a practical guide to inquiry-based instruction. Arlington, VA: NSTApress.
- Llewellyn, Douglas. (2002). Inquire within: Implementing inquiry-based science standards. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
- Llewellyn, Douglas. (2005). Teaching high school science through inquiry. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
- Walsh, J. A., & Sattes, B. D. ((2005). Quality questioning: Research-based practice to engage every learner. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
Resources for Reading and Writing in Science:
- Campbell, Brian, & Fulton, Lori. (2003) Science notebooks: Writing about inquiry. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Educational Books, Inc.
- Barton, M. L., & Jordan, D. L. (2001). Teaching reading in science: A supplement to the second edition of Teaching reading in the content areas teacher's manual. Aurora, CO: Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning.
- Saul, E.W., Reardon, J., Pearce, C., Dieckman, D., & Neutze, D. (2002) Science workshop: Reading, writing, and thinking like a scientist. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann
Science Teachers of America - http://www.stom.org/