Information for Licensed-Exempt Providers

A child care facility who is licensed-exempt with the Department of Elementary & Secondary Education must register with the Child Care Subsidy to receive payment for child care services provided to Child Care Subsidy eligible families.

Your facility may be licensed-exempt if you are a:

  • School
  • Summer Program
  • Business
  • Religous in Compliance facility

Helpful Resources

How do I become registered with DESE?

To become a registered child care provider, a Registration Application and Agreement form must be submitted to DESE. This form must be completed in full and signed, certifying you have read, understand, and will comply with the agreement.

You must also:

You can also:

What if I provide care out of state?

If you live out of state and offer child care to Missouri families who are eligible for Child Care Subsidy, you will need to provide DESE proof that you are licensed or licensed-exempt in the state you live.

Please contact the Office of Childhood at 573-526-3011 for more information about how to become contracted as a child care provider with the state of Missouri.

How do I get help with care for a child with special needs?

The Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (DESE) offers technical assistance to child care providers who care for children with special needs at no charge. These services are offered through Inclusion Specialists, who ensure all children receive quality care and are included in all activities regardless of their special needs. Inclusion specialists also offer face to face training throughout the state to help child care providers meet the needs of children with special needs. A child with special needs is a child who may require enhanced child care services over that of a typically developing child due to an actual or perceived developmental disability and/or delay, health/mental health, or behavior issues.