Regional Teacher of the Year
Missouri Regional Teacher of the Year Program
The Regional Teacher of the Year program returns for the 2017-18 school year. The program is designed to focus public attention on excellence in teaching and to honor classroom teachers in all regions of Missouri. The application packet below has more details on eligibility, nominating procedures as well as the selection process.
- Application Information
- Nomination Form email to Linda Dooling or mail to Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102
Dates and Deadlines
- Jan 1, 2017: Nomination period opens
- April 17, 2017: Nomination period closes
- May 10, 2017: Teacher of the Year Application Clinic (Registration)
- June 15, 2017: 2017-18 Regional Teacher of the Year applications due
- June 16 - July 17, 2017: 2017-18 Regional Teachers of the Year selected
- Full-time public or charter school teachers who hold a valid Missouri Teaching Certificate
- Candidates must be highly respected by students, parents, colleagues and the community
- Candidates must play an active role in the school community providing service and leadership
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate a strong ability to foster excellence in education through improved student learning
All eligible Regional Teacher of the Year applications will be sent to the appropriate Regional Service Center. Each Service Centers will have a regional selection committee composed of individuals from the teacher organizations; administrator organizations; and higher education. The selection committee will review candidate applications and select the Regional Teacher(s) of the Year by July 17, 2016. Thirty-two Regional Teachers of the Year will be chosen based on regional student population.
• Northeast – 1
• Northwest – 1
• South Central – 2
• Central – 2
• Southeast – 2
• Heart of Missouri – 3
• Southwest RPDC – 3
• Kansas City – 6
• St. Louis – 10
• Southwest Center - 2
Districts participating in the Teacher of the Year Program have found the program to have a positive impact on the entire community. Recognizing outstanding teachers: a) establishes a culture that rewards excellence in teaching; b) validates the work of teachers; c) provides teachers with a platform to speak about educational issues; d) gives students a sense of pride in their teachers; e) showcases teachers as positive role models; f) encourages students to think about teaching as a career; g) gives the community a sense of pride in its teachers; and h) helps to get the public involved and invested in the schools.
- $250 Cash Award from Regional Service Center
- Recognition banquet sponsored by the Missouri State Board of Education
- Regional Teacher of the Year plaque
- Regional Teacher of the Year name tag
All Regional Teachers of the Year, their respective spouses/significant others, building level principal, superintendent and school board president will be invited and recognized at the Missouri State Teacher of the Year Awards Banquet in October.