Transition From First Steps to Early Childhood Special Education
The period of time an infant/toddler is in First Steps is relatively short; therefore, it is important to plan for transition from the time the child enters First Steps.
The discussion of transition prepares the family for a smooth transition as their toddler leaves First Steps to attend a preschool, child care, Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) or other community program.
Steps toward transitioning out of the First Steps program must be addressed at every Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) meeting, regardless of a child’s age.
The following documents have been developed to assist with educating service coordinators, providers and parents about the importance of a successful transition from First Steps.
- Transition from First Steps to Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) (recording approx. 60 minutes)
- Transition from First Steps to Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) (1 handout per page) NEW!!
- Transition from First Steps to Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) (3 handouts per page) NEW!!
- Frequently Asked Questions (Updated October 2013)
- Release of Information (First Steps to ECSE)
- Compensatory Services
- Key Features of Part C and Part B of IDEA
- Opt Out Form
- First Steps Referral to ECSE Documentation Form