Special Education Listserv
Subject: New Educational Surrogate Web-based System
Source: Dana Desmond, Program Analyst
Intended Audience: Administrators, Directors of Special Education
Date: October 2, 2012
The Department has created a new web-based Educational Surrogate system. This system will significantly streamline the process for all parties. Some key advantages of the system are:
* Districts will have the ability to submit assignment and termination requests via the web.
* Districts will be able to better manage their surrogate student caseloads.
* Real-time notification for all parties of a change in status of a student or Educational Surrogate.
* Department staff can assign educational surrogates more quickly and efficiently.
* The system will only display surrogates available for assignment for a district. Educational Surrogates with a conflict of interest with a particular school or residential facility will not display as being available for that school or residential facility.
* Educational Surrogates now have a place to enter case notes for the children they serve.
* Mailing costs will be reduced.
Since letters will no longer be mailed or e-mailed, the new system will require someone at the district to have access to the Surrogate Web system in the Department's Web Applications menu. The district is responsible for granting access to staff through the User Manage in the Web Applications Menu. The use of the new system will be required starting October 2, 2012.
You can locate the Educational Surrogate Web System User Manual at http://dese.mo.gov/se/compliance/EdSurrogate/.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Dana Desmond at 573-751-0186 or via e-mail at email@example.com.