Special Education Listserv
Subject: Missouri Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities (MYLF) deadline is extended to April 25, 2011
Source: Dan Gordon, Supervisor, Effective Practices
Intended Audience: Special Education Teachers, Administrators, Counselors, Students, Parents
Date: April 19, 2011
The Governor's Council on Disability is now accepting applications for the 2011 Missouri Youth Leadership Forum, July 24-27, 2011, at the University of Missouri, Columbia.
The Missouri Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities is a unique career leadership-training program for high school juniors and seniors with disabilities. By serving as delegates from their communities at a three and a half day event, young people with disabilities cultivate leadership, citizenship, and social skills.
During the MYLF, youth delegates have the opportunity to:
* learn about disability history and culture
* participate in discussions concerning leadership career development skills as well as issues pertinent to persons with disabilities
* learn positive strategies from adult mentors and youth peers with disabilities
* learn about assistive technology
* visit Jefferson City to learn about the legislative process and meet with elected officials concerning policies and legislation that affect persons with disabilities
Please share this information with high school students with disabilities (ages 16-21) and other interested parties. For more information about the annual Missouri Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities and the online application (the deadline has been extended to April 25, 2011) please visit the website at http://www.disabilityinfo.mo.gov/gcd/ylf.shtml.