Get Adobe ReaderA note about viewing streaming video

Special Education Listserv

Subject: Release Form for Proportionate Share Carry-Over Funds Now Available

Source: Special Education Finance

Intended Audience: Special Education Directors, Superintendents, Financial Administrators

Date: January 26, 2012

Districts choosing to release Proportionate Share Carry-over funds may now do so by completing the release form at:

Proportionate share funds are the amount of IDEA Part B funds a district must reserve and spend over a maximum two year period to provide special education and related services to students ages five (5) to twenty-one (21) who have been evaluated and determined eligible and are parentally placed in either a private/parochial or home school setting in the district's boundaries. If the district does not spend its proportionate share of Part B funds in the current year, it has an additional one-year carryover period under IDEA to spend these funds. Based on guidance from the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), any carryover funds not obligated and/or expended by mid-year of the carryover period, for allowable reasons, may be released to be spent within the district on students with disabilities.

Instructions for determining whether or not your district may request a release of proportionate share carryover funds are located on the release form.

Completed forms must be faxed by March 1 to the Special Education Finance Section at (573) 526-6898. If the district chooses not to release these carryover funds and does not spend them in their entirety, they will lose them.

Once the form is approved, the district will need to revise the 2011-12 Part B Budget Application. After the Special Education Finance Section has selected the "Release Proportionate Share Prior Year Carryover Funds" box on the Supporting Data page, the district should re-budget the anticipated amount of released funds into any function code other than 1224. Remember, budget amendments must be completed by April 30, 2012.

For questions, please contact the Special Education Finance Section at (573) 751-0622 or