Special Education Listserv
Subject: Part B Application
Source: Pam Williams, Coordinator, Special Education Services
Intended Audience: System stakeholders in Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
Date: January 17, 2014
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
All states making application for funds under Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) are required to make available for public review and comment the application packet for those federal funds. These are the funds that support provision of special education services to children ages 3 to 21 in Missouri. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has developed the draft application packet for IDEA Part B funds and by this notice is making the application available for review and comment at http://www.dese.mo.gov/se/compliance/Part%20B/index.html.
The application packet, developed by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), includes a summary of the assurances, certifications, and IDEA use of fund descriptions that the state will use to implement Part B of IDEA. Upon OSEP's approval of Missouri's Part B application, the state will receive a federal grant award under Part B of the IDEA for the period of July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015.
As you review the application, please note the following:
* The application is in a format required by OSEP.
* Missouri is providing general assurances to OSEP that the state will be implementing the provisions of state and federal regulations for Part B of IDEA 2004.
* The dollar amounts listed in Section III, Use of Funds, are for State-level Administration and Targeted Initiatives; not the cost of serving students with disabilities or the total cost of special education services in Missouri.
* The amounts for State-level Administration and Targeted Initiatives are based upon the current year (SFY14) allocation since OSEP has yet to give the anticipated award amounts for SFY15. These amounts will be used until the SFY15 award amount is disclosed.
* The application indicates new or revised policies based on recent changes to the Missouri Part B State Plan approved by the Missouri State Board of Education on December 3, 2013. A copy of the plan approved by the State Board of Education is available at the following link: http://dese.mo.gov/se/stateplan/sp-prop-changes14.html.
The application is available for review on our website from January 18, 2014, through March 19, 2014. Written public comments on the draft Part B application packet may be submitted from February 18, 2014, until the close of business on March 19, 2014, to the attention of Pam Williams, Coordinator of Services, Office of Special Education, at email@example.com or P.O. Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480 or by fax 573-526-4404.