Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) and Behavioral Intervention Plans (BIP)
Functional Behavioral Assessment:
A functional behavioral assessment (FBA) is a process to identify the function of a student’s behavior. The information collected during the FBA process should be used to create effective behavior supports and plans.
Behavioral Intervention Plans
Behavioral intervention plans (BIP) are detailed plans that include data gathered during the FBA such as function, frequency, severity, consequence, etc. The BIP also includes specific information regarding the target behavior, behavior goals, etc., in addition steps are proposed to decrease occurrences of inappropriate behavior and to increase occurrences of desired or replacement behaviors. The plan should also include information on progress monitoring and review of the plan.
Resources and Tools
Provided below are lists of both resources and tools. Some of the links may take you to the same website, links under tools will go directly to the specific tools for FBAs and BIPs while the links under the resource heading are more informational.
developed by Dr. Lori Newcomer, University of Missouri-Columbia
developed by Dr. Tim Lewis, University of Missouri-Columbia
University of Kansas: Circle of Inclusion (Currently unavailable)
- Positive Behavioral Intervention Plan Planning Form (sample)
- Positive Behavioral Intervention Plan Planning Form (blank)
- Functional Behavioral Assessment Observation Form (sample)
- Functional Behavioral Assessment Observation Form (blank)
- Functional Assessment Checklist for Teachers and Staff (sample)
- Functional Assessment Checklist for Teachers and Staff (blank)
University of Kansas, Circle of Inclusion Project (Currently unavailable)
- Behavior Log
- Behavioral Intervention Plan (sample)
- Behavioral Intervention Plan (blank)
- Environmental and Curricular Checklist
- Problem Behavior Analysis