CONTACT: Sarah Potter
Vol. 46, No. 56
August 2, 2012
Finalists Named for 2012-13 Missouri Teacher of the Year
Six public school educators have been chosen as finalists for the 2012-13 Missouri Teacher of the Year, state education officials announced today.
Nominations for the award were submitted by school districts throughout the state. The finalists are chosen, based on their written application, by a selection committee appointed by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
This year's finalists are:
- Catherine Cartier, an English teacher at Affton High School, Affton School District, St. Louis
- Jeanie Cook, a kindergarten teacher at Pleasant Lea Elementary School, Lee's Summit School District
- Stephen Schwartz, a first grade teacher at Valley Park Elementary School, Valley Park School District
- Donna Terrell, an art teacher at Fort Osage High School, Fort Osage School District, Independence
- Nichole Tews, an English teacher at Cass Career Center, Harrisonville School District
- Janice Wenger, a gifted education teacher at the Center for Creative Learning, Rockwood School District, Eureka
The Missouri Teacher of the Year program recognizes the efforts of effective teachers throughout the state who provide a quality education to their students. Preparing, developing and supporting effective educators is a primary goal for the Department's Top 10 by 20 plan to move Missouri into the top 10 states in education by 2020.
The selection committee will choose the Missouri Teacher of the Year following interviews with each finalist to be held on Aug. 6 in Jefferson City. The winner will serve as the state’s nominee for the National Teacher of the Year competition.
The finalists and the new Missouri Teacher of the Year will be honored at a banquet Oct. 15 in Jefferson City.
Missouri's current Teacher of the Year is Kristen Merrell, a third-grade teacher at Lee's Summit Elementary School.
The Department conducts the Missouri Teacher of the Year program with financial support provided by the Boeing Company of St. Louis.