To BECOME CERTIFIED as an Administrator (Principal, Special Education Director, Career Education Director, Superintendent) in Missouri and one or more of the following applies:
- You hold an administrator certificate and/or have completed an educational administration program from another state and wish to become certified in Missouri
An applicant who possesses a valid professional certificate from another state may be granted a Missouri certificate in an area most closely aligned to the certification if Missouri issues such certificate. If an educator is completing or has completed an educational administration degree program in another state (either on campus or online), it would be beneficial to obtain that state's certificate whether one plans to reside in that state or not. In most cases, a Missouri certificate is issued with no further coursework or test requirements.
- Complete the online Non-Missouri Graduate Application. All applicants for administrative areas of certification must also apply for a Missouri teaching certificate. The same application may be used to apply for both teaching and administrative areas of certification.
- Submit remaining items on the Non-Missouri Graduate Application Checklist in one packet to Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102. We do not accept faxed or emailed application materials.
- If you have out-of-state teaching and administrative experience, you will need to complete the Verification of Teaching Experience form.
- As noted within the checklist, if your out-of-state professional certificates have expired, or if you have never held an out-of-state certificate, you must provide an institutional recommendation from the certification officer at the college or university where you completed your educational administration degree program. The recommendation form can be downloaded by clicking on the appropriate button when completing the online Non-Missouri Graduate Application. The form should be mailed back to you to be included in your packet.
- You have completed an educational administration program through a Missouri institution
- An Initial Administrator Certificate is the first certificate a new administrator receives. Completion of a master's degree or higher in educational administration from a college or university having an educational administration degree program approved by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is required. A superintendent certificate requires a minimum of an educational specialist degree. The applicant must have a recommendation for certification from the designated official for educational administration at the college or university where the program was completed. The applicant must also obtain Missouri's passing score on the appropriate assessments.
- Complete one (1) online initial application and submit it to the Missouri institution where you completed your educational administrator program. The institution will complete their portion and then forward the application to DESE for processing. If you hold an expired teaching certificate and have not received a background clearance within the past 12 months, you will need to do so.
- The application processing time is dependent on receipt of background clearance, institution recommendation, official transcripts, and current DESE workload. Your application status can be monitored online at the bottom of your profile screen and it is beneficial to the expediency of processing that you utilize this mode of checking the status of your certification.
- You have not completed an educational administration program and are looking for information on how to become certified in an administrative area